Experienced teacher thinking of moving to Vietnam

Hi everyone,

I'm a 35 year old Australian who is considering relocating to Vietnam to teach English after thoroughly enjoying the month I spent travelling there last year.

However, at my stage of life, I would definitely not be treating this as some kind of gap year experience to ‘find myself', but rather a medium to long term life and career move.

I am already an experienced primary educator with a Masters degree in Special Education, and would hope that my qualifications/experience would open up some better opportunities than if I only had a TEFL cert etc.

I'd be really keen to hear the experiences of people who have been teaching in Vietnam for a number of years or who are planning to be there for the long term, and if people think this may be a good option for me at my stage of life or not.

Cheers.   

Ricky,

rapidfire7 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm a 35 year old Australian who is considering relocating to Vietnam to teach English after thoroughly enjoying the month I spent travelling there last year.

However, at my stage of life, I would definitely not be treating this as some kind of gap year experience to ‘find myself', but rather a medium to long term life and career move.

I am already an experienced primary educator with a Masters degree in Special Education, and would hope that my qualifications/experience would open up some better opportunities than if I only had a TEFL cert etc.

I'd be really keen to hear the experiences of people who have been teaching in Vietnam for a number of years or who are planning to be there for the long term, and if people think this may be a good option for me at my stage of life or not.

Cheers.   

Ricky,

Hopefully you can land a semi-permanent (long term) position in a location you love.

A legal employment contract with a work permit will open the door for you to gain legal temporary resident status, a huge advantage when seeking stability here.

Best of luck as others more experienced give you specific how-to pointers.

rapidfire7 wrote:

It is a little unclear from the above whether you presently have a TEFL certificate in addition to your Masters degree.  By law, your being a certified teacher exempts you from having to have a TEFL Cert. in applying for a work permit.   My lawyer told me this (I have a BEd) when I applied for mine and then decided to turn in a copy of my TEFL anyway.  This is because you never can be sure of whether the bureaucrat who handles your application actually knows the law, or even cares.  I would take a TEFL class even if you feel you do not need it.

I saw both good and bad teachers in Vietnam, but the best were those that had real time in the classroom in their home countries.  The worst owned a tax preparation franchise in Toronto.  Not only did he have the wrong temperament, he did not enunciate well.  :mad:  The kind of patience to explain things clearly that you need for SPED will serve you well in ESL.  Not all language school owners understand the value of a real trained teacher, particularly if the teacher is above what they see as the most desirable age (21-30) but if you link up with the right owner/franchisee, I am betting that they will not want to let you go.  After getting your feet wet, you probably can start looking around for management roles if that is what you want.

I would be looking at the international schools, that all depends on where you want to reside.

Do a search online and contact the school that you feel is a good fit, then do a search for reviews.