Trade in ur irish/English car for a Spanish one??

Hey guys im hoping to trade in my irish car for a spanish one when i move to Spain....how can I go about doing this? All advice welcome :)

Hello! Me and my fella are literally looking to do the same thing, although we're booked on the ferry to move on the 2nd of April so who knows whether we'll actually be able to go... but I'll let you know if we find anything out :)

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

It's been a long time since I did it and that was another EU country.  The things we had to sort out was registration/testing and we had to pay import tax as the car was only a year old at the time (I'm not sure how it works in Spain), but I expect you will have similar issues.  The major problem you will have is the steering wheel is on the wrong side, so practically of no use to a local unless perhaps you can find an ex-pat going back who may be interested.

Hopefully, someone can produce some local information for you.

Cynic
Expat Team

Yes l agree. You can only sellyour car to an expat going home. My car was French. Impossible to insure it in Spain. Had to sell it to a frenchie. You have to change your driving licence for à spanish one after two years' Ugh! Once you've bought a spanish car that is. Good luck!

If one comes to live in spain regardless of any legal requirement it makes sense to exchange ones DL for a Spanish one if permitted. 

After December a brit, who moves to spain, may be required to take a driving test in spain in order to be able to drive.  That apples now to most non EU nationals.