Vung Tau hits the big time???

It looks like they'll be starting work on this soon on a lot where there used to be an abandoned French colonial house.

Hilton Continues Expansion in Vietnam with Signing of DoubleTree by Hilton Vung Tau

https://newsroom.hilton.com/hilton-gard … inn-saigon

Here are two somewhat humorous quotes from the article:

"The 250-room DoubleTree by Hilton Vung Tau is located in the heart of Vung Tau, a popular destination city that is well known for its long stretches of beaches, lakes and thermal springs. The hotel is an 800-meter walk to the famous Bai Truoc Beach [Front Beach] and a short drive away from the Dong Xuyen Industrial Park [a major tourist attraction?]. Offering more than 1,700 square-meters of meeting space including a ballroom, the hotel will have four dining and bar outlets, a swimming pool, a fitness center and spa."

"Our aim is to be everywhere our customers want to be. In bringing our mid-market brand to Ho Chi Minh City, and DoubleTree by Hilton to thriving tourism destinations such as Vung Tau, we are doing just that."

This follows the opening of Pullman, Ibis and Mercure's take-over and renovation of Lam Sorn Resort on Ha Long Street, not to mention the recently opened Fusion Suites.

My guess is that these companies aren't doing much in-depth market research and are basing their plans on very unrealistic speculative forecasts and highly spurious data.  Do they really think Vung Tau will ever attract this class of tourist, either domestic or international, in large enough numbers to allow for a return on investment any time soon?

As it is, Vung Tau only has a small number of budget pensioners and backpackers and the Saigonese on the weekends. High rollers certainly aren't going to be coming here in the near future. Why would they?

They don't give a shit if nobody turns up. It's all about making money in the planning & construction phase.

They'll be using other people's money & all concerned will be stripping money from the project budget.     That's why Vietnam is littered with abandoned hotels & resorts. 

By the time they've lined their pockets , there's nothing left to complete  it.      It'll just be more of the same.

johnross23 wrote:

It looks like they'll be starting work on this soon on a lot where there used to be an abandoned French colonial house.

Hilton Continues Expansion in Vietnam with Signing of DoubleTree by Hilton Vung Tau

"The 250-room DoubleTree by Hilton Vung Tau is located in the heart of Vung Tau, a popular destination city that is well known for its long stretches of beaches, lakes and thermal springs. The hotel is an 800-meter walk to the famous Bai Truoc Beach [Front Beach] and a short drive away from the Dong Xuyen Industrial Park [a major tourist attraction?]. Offering more than 1,700 square-meters of meeting space including a ballroom, the hotel will have four dining and bar outlets, a swimming pool, a fitness center and spa."

"Our aim is to be everywhere our customers want to be. In bringing our mid-market brand to Ho Chi Minh City, and DoubleTree by Hilton to thriving tourism destinations such as Vung Tau, we are doing just that."

This follows the opening of Pullman, Ibis and Mercure's take-over and renovation of Lam Sorn Resort on Ha Long Street, not to mention the recently opened Fusion Suites.

My guess is that these companies aren't doing much in-depth market research and are basing their plans on very unrealistic speculative forecasts and highly spurious data.  Do they really think Vung Tau will ever attract this class of tourist, either domestic or international, in large enough numbers to allow for a return on investment any time soon?

As it is, Vung Tau only has a small number of budget pensioners and backpackers and the Saigonese on the weekends. High rollers certainly aren't going to be coming here in the near future. Why would they?

even the upmarket places on the Ho Tram Strip are running half empty at best during the week! Before Christmas I stayed at one resort (no corona then) week days & the staff outnumbered the guests by aprox 10 to 1. I asked one of the managers how many guests were staying & he said 14, but it would be better at the weekend! Not sure the resort capacity but would estimate at least 500+. :o

goodolboy wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

even the upmarket places on the Ho Tram Strip are running half empty at best during the week! Before Christmas I stayed at one resort (no corona then) week days & the staff outnumbered the guests by aprox 10 to 1. I asked one of the managers how many guests were staying & he said 14, but it would be better at the weekend! Not sure the resort capacity but would estimate at least 500+. :o

So, Vung Tau now has thermal springs, I presume they are referring to the ones that are 80klms from the city.

More fake advertising, people should be prosecuted for writing this dribble.

No Board of Directors or Investment Group etc would undertake such a project without a considerable amount of investigation into the viability.
Whatever their motives I am pretty sure they will profit from it.

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

So, Vung Tau now has thermal springs, I presume they are referring to the ones that are 80klms from the city.

:lol::lol: tell me about it, I just came back from viewing a house advertised on FB at 30minutes from Tan Son Nhat. Yea add an hour to that on a good day!!! & the price on the one advertised at xx bil vnd is sold out & dont want to show you it,  but we have another xxxbil add another 30% more. :lol:  How many years have I got to live here to get it into my brain that these agents  are just a bunch of lying twats!

colinoscapee wrote:

Mentioning the "lakes" is another bit of misinformation. OK, technically it's true. There is one big lake and a couple of ponds, but to state that they're some kind of tourist attraction, especially for international tourists, is absurd.

johnross23 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Mentioning the "lakes" is another bit of misinformation. OK, technically it's true. There is one big lake and a couple of ponds, but to state that they're some kind of tourist attraction, especially for international tourists, is absurd.

My everlasting memories of the beaches & swimming in Vung Tau which I must admit could be well out of date were:-

Swimming at the beach........Dodging the brown floaters & toilet paper, feeling semi solid slimy things passing through my fingers & toes :o

Strategically beating a retreat back up the beach to a new deck chair position as the tide came in pushing a wall of plastic, half eaten food, empty beer cans & general trash that the Vietnamese holiday makers abandoned as they retreated like me to their next "picnic" site :cool:

So cant see the rich & famous getting down the beach with the knotted hankies on their heads & deck chairs with the locals.
But Vung Tau certainly used to have some other attractions that might just wet the lips of some of the rich, royal & famous hey!! :unsure

goodolboy wrote:

My everlasting memories of the beaches & swimming in Vung Tau which I must admit could be well out of date were:-

Swimming at the beach........Dodging the brown floaters & toilet paper, feeling semi solid slimy things passing through my fingers & toes :o

Strategically beating a retreat back up the beach to a new deck chair position as the tide came in pushing a wall of plastic, half eaten food, empty beer cans & general trash that the Vietnamese holiday makers abandoned as they retreated like me to their next "picnic" site :cool:

So cant see the rich & famous getting down the beach with the knotted hankies on their heads & deck chairs with the locals.

But Vung Tau certainly used to have some other attractions that might just wet the lips of some of the rich, royal & famous hey!! :unsure

The beach may be a bit cleaner these days as environmental awareness has increased in recent years.

The bar scene though is clearly in decline as a result of the oil industry dropping off a while back. Nowadays, they're filled with geezers, cigarette smoke and a few hard-faced mercenary delta girls looking at their phones. Anybody who shows up for that doesn't stick around very long.

johnross23 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

The beach may be a bit cleaner these days as environmental awareness has increased in recent years.

The bar scene though is clearly in decline as a result of the oil industry dropping off a while back. Nowadays, they're filled with geezers, cigarette smoke and a few hard-faced mercenary delta girls looking at their phones. Anybody who shows up for that doesn't stick around very long.

Yea must admit it was a long time ago for sure, them slimy things sort of put me off swimming there for life though, still have bad dreams about it periodically.

Recently spent a night at the "Black Pearl" think it was called & OK you dont need to be famous to drink there but being rich certainly would have had its advantages. Great live band though, think Philippine singers.