Medication in Russia

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like Russia with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in Russia?

Would you have said that in Russia drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

No, I have always found any drugs better here and much cheaper.   Just go to the local polyclinic

One of the things that I appreciate about living in Russia is the fact that they don't push drugs per say. They offer medications, natural and some pharmaceuticals. I'm guessing because most Russians prefer to use natural sources if they can. Much different than the west. As far as cost are concerned they are far less expensive here than in the States. Shortages? Haven't seen any, but then I rarely go to a pharmacy. Yes, Russia views medications much differently than other countries, those that come should try to embrace the differences since in the long run they are much better for your health.

archecotech wrote:

One of the things that I appreciate about living in Russia is the fact that they don't push drugs per say. They offer medications, natural and some pharmaceuticals. I'm guessing because most Russians prefer to use natural sources if they can. Much different than the west. As far as cost are concerned they are far less expensive here than in the States. Shortages? Haven't seen any, but then I rarely go to a pharmacy. Yes, Russia views medications much differently than other countries, those that come should try to embrace the differences since in the long run they are much better for your health.

You are quite right there.  I was cured of an infected toe by a doctor who used a traditional poultice instead of injections.  It was cured in two days.  The poison was completely drawn out.  Another time, I had a tooth out and was offered anti-biotic, but the doctor said: "Try swilling with cha-cha (Georgian Vodka) every day.  In a week I was healed.