Medication in Mauritius

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like Mauritius with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in Mauritius?

Would you have said that in Mauritius drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Hi There, Mauritius is definitely way more expensive than South Africa. We never have a shortage of medicine in South Africa.

I had Generic Valproate run Out in Mauritius, which is what I used for 5 years in Australia, prior to moving here, about 4 weeks ago. I was offered a French Version, called Depakin, which all the Chemist's said where the same. It was Depakin Chrono, sustained release, not in a Pure form, is what I needed. And only a Dr at the Hospital could tell me this. No GP. I had Shaking, stammering, Episode's and many other side effects from this Medicine.

To get a World Standard of Excellence, in Medicine, as an Expat or Tourist, you might need to go to Welkin. One of the Best, if not the best Medical place on the Island.

Hospital in Australia, wheather it be Public or Private is Quite Good. Many things here, are French also.
Private Cover, can help Tourist or Expat feel more comfortable, and get the Best care.

All the Best,
Kate

Supplements are quite more expensive on substandard brands/products. Its hard to find high bioavailabity pharmaceuticals.

Hi Kate

Can you recommend a private Health Cover on the Island if you have got something

Many thanks