Apply DP under current employer while new EP status is pending

I have a situation where my new employer has applied for my EP but the status is Pending for 13 days and counting.

My question is, Whether should I ask my current employer to apply for my wife's DP or I should wait for my new EP to be approved

Your wife's DP can be applied for together with your EP - and then (if approved) would be issied at the same time.
Please note that the average EP processing time is 1 - 2 months, with some cases taking shorter or (sometimes much) longer.

The problem is my new EP is already applied and waiting for approval 13 days and counting.

But I don't how long it's going to take so I was thinking to ask my current employer to apply for DP. Is this possible?

Yes, it is possible - but the DP tied to you current DP would only be valid until you change job. If your wife wants to stay longer, the new employer must apply.

A normal DP processing takes less than a week, many cases are there where it got approved in 2 to 3 days.

Then, what's the point applying DP now when your own EP application result is unknown!

Most of the employers don't like to apply DP along with EP cause they don't want to waste their time, money and effort to do so, rather they wait the result of EP and proceed with DP only when EP application is successful.

Thanks for your response surya.

As you said for some reason it's taking more than a month for the EP to be approved, this is the reason I was thinking to ask my current employer to apply for my wife's DP so that I can bring her to SG.

But of what I have read on multiple threads, that my current employer will know that there is a pending application against my FIN when they apply for my wife's DP.

Really confused, what to do.

Your current employer can see the new EP application in any case - if they bother to check. It does not need a DP application for that!

As we speak here, my ep got approved.

Date of Application: 18th February 2020
Date of Approval: 3rd March 2020

I never said EP will take more than a month. I always said that each application is unique and go through the MoM criteria. Based on several yardsticks, it takes its own time. What we observe in the forum is that average waiting time is around 3 to 4 weeks.

Anyway, now your employer can apply DP for your family. Good luck

Thanks, Surya for your help. I really appreciate it. Cheers

Hi,

So I asked my new employer to apply for my wife's DP but they said they won't be able to until I join them so that my new EP is under them.

What should I do? I can't ask my current employer to apply as well as I have resigned and currently on notice.

I thought of bringing her on a tourist visa as my new employer said they'll apply her DP as soon as I join them but then you need return air tickets.

Why you don't wait till you join and your employer apply DP? What's so urgency that your spouse need to come under a tourist visa?

If it's that urgent then you can bring her under tourist visa, most likely she will stay with you (you can show your accommodation address incase immigration officer ask). She will get likely 30 days visa, so within that period, she should get her DP so no need her to return back.

Thanks for your response Surya.

I would like to ask if it's true that my new employer won't be able to apply for DP right now?

The new employer can apy for a DP together with your EP, or at any time after that.

ok, I don't know why employer is persistent on the fact that they can apply closer to my joining date.

If they apply for the DP now and then your EP is rejected, they wasted their time. That might be the reason they want to wait.

My EP is already approved beppi, It's after my EP approval I asked them to apply for DP to which they said they'll apply only when I join them.

Did you ask them why?

They say they won't be able to issue it before I join. My point is I don't want it to be issued, I want them to apply so that I get an IPA for my wife and she can come here.

This is totally feasible for what I have read on multiple forums.

Let me know beppi If I am thinking wrong here.

Your wife will not be able to join you before you start with the new employer, even if they apply now.

imayank91 wrote:

They say they won't be able to issue it before I join. My point is I don't want it to be issued, I want them to apply so that I get an IPA for my wife and she can come here.

This is totally feasible for what I have read on multiple forums.

Let me know beppi If I am thinking wrong here.

Hi ,

It's a common policy which companies here in singapore follow. They will only apply D.P once you have joined them. I went through the same case 1 year back and i was in the same situation like you , and i had brought my wife and child with their visit visa. You can ask your company to apply for the DP on your 1st day of joining. There won't be any issue.

Thanks...

Thanks, Indestructible007

How long did it take for the DP to be approved

imayank91 wrote:

Thanks, Indestructible007

How long did it take for the DP to be approved

Mostly it will take 2 days - 7 days. But, in few cases it has taken longer.

Hello,

My new employer said they have applied for my wife's DP but I can't see any application under my FIN on EPOL.

How can I check DP Status?

imayank91 wrote:

Hello,

My new employer said they have applied for my wife's DP but I can't see any application under my FIN on EPOL.

How can I check DP Status?

Use your wife's FIN# or the application no.

They haven't provided me with that information.  This is the first time I am applying for a DP.

The application won't come under my FIN No.? I thought I'll check using my FIN No. and  Passport No.

imayank91 wrote:

They haven't provided me with that information.  This is the first time I am applying for a DP.

The application won't come under my FIN No.? I thought I'll check using my FIN No. and  Passport No.

Then you need to ask your employer to either provide your wife's FIN# or the application#. You need any one of this info to check the status.

It got approved this morning.

Singapore has imposed SHN to all travellers coming in. Do my employer needs to check with MOM if she can travel to Singapore

Hello Mayank,

How long did it take for DP to be approved in your case ?

imayank91 wrote:

It got approved this morning.

Singapore has imposed SHN to all travellers coming in. Do my employer needs to check with MOM if she can travel to Singapore

You must have MoM clearance before she travels. If she got clearance of travel then check if you need to be 14 days self quarantined along with her or not.

On 19 March (11:59PM onwards) all incoming people must stay at home for 14 days without contacting outside. This applies to both existing work pass holders & their dependants currently out of Singapore, and in-principle approval holders who have yet to enter Singapore (Including their dependants).