How do you navigate your expat identity in Dominican Republic?

Hey guys in Dominican Republic or wanting to move there,

Fellow expat Stephanie has sent us a piece about how she navigates between her British-ish and her French-ish identity and we thought we would share it with you.

Her opinion piece is featured on our magazine:
Opinion: Does being an expat mean I'll always be the outsider?

We would love to know what you think!

Happy Thursday,
AL

What an interesting perspective! 

She is correct in so many of her comments. Over 16 years here, pretty fluent in Spanish, running businesses here,.sociizing etc  I fit in well. 

But I will never be Dominican.

I am accepted by most, tolerated by some.

One of her comments cracked me up and had me shaking my head...... When I hear a Dominican joke ....and I just don't get it! 

Yes it's a superpower being able to be more then one thing.  In my case I feel like I am three.  I grew up one kilometer from the USA.  I always say I am half Canadian,.half American and half Dominican!   :D

Good article. Good perspective.

Interesting indeed. One of my fears about living in DR is never really fitting in, considering the language barrier, cultural differences, etc. The first step is understanding the obstacles, and preparation. We are trying so hard to learn Spanish, but it is coming slowly since we are not yet immersed and I know it will take years. And it doesn't help that living in the US is actually quite isolating in some respects. There isn't the mix of cultures and languages you would experience in Europe, for instance. Being fluent in a different language in most of the US is an oddity, and frankly not much use for most people.

"Tolerated" is how I view myself during my DR travels, but the people are so very friendly. Another positive is getting older I find that I care less about what people think of me  ;0)

Once you accept you will never be Dominican, that you will always be some degree of outsider it gets much easier. 

Work towards acceptance.  Work towards being comfortable in your adopted home!

In my opinion anyone who says, oh I am Dominican now, I am just like them, is delusional.  We can never have the life experience and cultural history they do, like in our bones! 

So, we learn to accept, to adjust, to enjoy the culture and the people and the country! 

Kind of like marriage: for better, for worse etc etc!

....after years of living in another country I learned a surprising thing: feeling like an expatriate doesn't apply exclusively to the country you choose to live in. In a curious plot-twist, I was increasingly feeling like an expatriate in my own country too.

.....to rebrand ‘not belonging.' I decided to celebrate the in-between-ness of it all, instead of worrying about it. Yes, I am British. But I'm also a bit less straightforwardly British than I was before

After living 23 years outside the UK and now some 15 years part or full time in DR, I can identify with the article and specifically the two quotes above.

I don't go back to he UK very often but I fell less British when I am there compared to when I am here. I've left that more regimented life behind and the British (an Irish) traveling blood in me has found a better place to live and establish a new less stressful life.

There are British things from which I cannot detach myself (soccer, L'Pool, for example), and there are some things that make me proud to be British and other things that make me regretful living here in the Caribbean. I have adapted to face head on some of those failures of my country  folk in historic times. My closest friends are Dominican and Caribbean. I believe I have adapted and I am now married into my new life with tranquility. Next step citizenship.