How do you navigate your expat identity in Brazil?

Hey guys in Brazil or wanting to move there,

Fellow expat Stephanie has sent us a piece about how she navigates between her British-ish and her French-ish identity and we thought we would share it with you.

Her opinion piece is featured on our magazine:
Opinion: Does being an expat mean I'll always be the outsider?

We would love to know what you think!

Happy Thursday,
AL

A lot of conflicts between the US and Brazil about how things are done. So while in Brazil, I drive like any Brazilian would drive and behave the best I can as a Brazilian in public. Make things easier and don´t make you feel guilty as an American thinking would. When I go back to the US, I behave accordingly also to make the law go easier on me - no chaotic driving, no rolling stops, no go on red lights etc. It doesn´t always happen though as some Brazilian ways permeates my overall attitude and them exercised unconsciously in the States which amazes me. Brazilian shortcuts of doing things... Very tempting. Like consumption of drinks (especially beer) and edibles inside markets before paying them (just the empty containers presented to the cashier); putting your shopping cart behind someone else´s car to avoid putting it somewhere else; not warning people that you´re not coming at an agreed upon event and so forth.  :D 

So I navigate like Julius Caesar. Veni vidi vici... :top:

robal

Hah! My BR spouse had many probs adjusting to life outside BR. Even simple things like why not take a whole month vacation? "everyone does".  I can go on and on but he's back home & so far he's re-adjusting. 🤔

I been in Brazil for 2 years now permanent Resident. I don't speak Portuguese is a disadvantage if you do very good for you. I have a large Brazilian family very good people. I don't drive because the streets aren't marked well in the town I live my wife does all the driving. Which is a little frustrating it's funny we were in Mexico. I rented a car and drove my wife was surprised how good I was a driver haha. I am just making a observation when you don't speak the language people have a tendency to think you are stupid. It's mostly a unconscious response not a on purpose. Lots of motorcycles don't expect them or cars to stay in lanes. The motorcycle are always passing you on both sides even when your stopped. The smaller the town the more motorcycles. I do love Brazil and have great family and friends are very loyal. Get ready to live a more simple life but fuller life. If one of you have Brazilian family is usually a good place to start your new life In Brazil in the same town.