Picking up ocean shipments from Port Kelang

Hi,
Has anyone had any recent experience picking up personal item shipments from Port Kelang? How much of a headache is it? I have a few plastic bins and a bike box, so it will be a small shipment. Any suggestions on finding a company to pick up and deliver to KLCC?

Thanks,
Mark

I am sure any freight forwarding company could arrange it, and they are easy to find online, and they will probably charge quite a lot especially because they know you have no choice. But why did you ship only until Port Klang? It would have been far easier to have arranged a door to door service with whoever sent the items in the beginning that included customs inspection and delivery to your address.

Hi,
Nothing has shipped yet. I have received a couple quotes using sea shipment that terminate at the port rather than door to door. Most air shipments seem to do door to door, but ocean shipments seem to be to the port and I have to arrange shipping from the post to my address.

You can always ship door to door by sea. If the forwarder is not quoting you for that then change for another one. When I shipped my personal belongs from UK to KL I was always quoted for door to door service by sea and for about 2.75 m3. In fact, freight forwarders make the most money by doing sea shipments because they over quote the volume of the goods. In other words, a 20 ft container holds 30 cubic metres, but a freight forwarder will commonly over estimate the size of your own goods in their quotations so they receive payments for perhaps 40 m3 but only need to pay the shipping company for the 30 m3. Air shipments are based mainly on weight and on volume to a lesser extent.

So I would check with other freight forwarders and hopefully you can find one that will do sea freight.