COVID-19

Interesting.  I read another article today that higher temps and humidity MAY slow how fast we spread this virus.  We can hope but not slack on all our precautions.

Early looks at Florida and here leave me thinking this may not be the case.

They have explained the spike in cases in Duarte Province and it is more than just the woman in Villa Riva. Locals with visitors from USA celebrating have cause the spike. We can expect more from this in the coming days. Does this explain Santiago spike too?

Minister of Health: Political celebrations and carnival, that's where the coronavirus came to SFM

The Minister of Public Health, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas attributed the spread of the Coronavirus in San Francisco de Macorís to the parties that took place in the last days in the province, which included political celebrations, carnival, as well as others of a private nature, which His trial was caused by the local spread of the pandemic.

He said that the authorities are doing the work that corresponds to him, but that citizens must assume their responsibility, which is not being fulfilled.

"What do we want, the transmission cut, and that occurs with citizen and community participation and that is why we have come here to help this process to take place, there were celebrations of all kinds, marches, where it became In a contagion center, political celebrations and carnival, and all the guests, even from cities like New York, New Jersey, Florida and other cities in the US, the virus came there, because in SF there were no viruses, not even in this country, ”said the official, speaking to journalists from San Francisco de Macorís, where he went with a team to try to stop the spread of the virus in that province, which has become the first to detect local cases.

He said that there is no point that health personnel are taking risks to save lives when the population does not do their part in the face of a threat like this. "Then what is the use of being the way we are here if the citizen is not responsible and does not assume the role that is his. Is there a way to control an epidemic? Should we do as China did, if it doesn't move you, will I move you and use military force? ”He asked himself.

He called on citizens to become aware that this is not a game, but that rational behavior must be assumed, following the advice of the competent authorities.

https://listindiario.com/la-republica/2 … irus-a-sfm

Government announces that it will do free tests to detect coronavirus in the next few days

The Dominican Government reported on Tuesday night that it is working to apply tests or rapid tests to detect the coronavirus COVID-19 for free in the coming days , as a way to slow the progression of the disease, which already has a record of 302 infected and six deaths.

The announcement was made by the Minister of the Presidency and president of the High Level Commission for the Prevention and Control of Coronavirus in the country, Gustavo Montalvo.

He said that the quick tests this test will allow many people to clear their doubts and calm the anxiety they may have in the fear of having contracted COVID-19, but that it had to be made clear that this type of tests only offers a reliability of 85 .

He said that if the person tests positive in the rapid test, they must immediately proceed to perform the PCR test, which is the one recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO).

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … PP17908403

Impressed by their vigour and determination.

I hope everybody listens for everyone's sake.

Ducketts

Last night the Nacional police came.down my street in a very middle class neighborhood.  We have a controlled entrance and 3 streets.

The colmado around the corner was forcibly shut down and 3 men taken away.  8 pm and they are serious, get.off the streets and get home

Seems warmer , more humid air is less hospitable to this virus

Interesting read
This all jives with earlier studies

I have read that your car (if caught driving after 8pm) will be impounded until April 3rd

Yes - they're serious

Yes that is correct.

Fines for breaking curfew now too.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … MP17908848

But also, it is my duty to emphasize the seriousness of this situation and remember that this period of quarantine is not optional. It is not only an ethical and civic obligation, but also a legal one , whose infraction carries fines of between one and ten minimum wages , ” he said.

I just saw that the plan to get food to people will start happening in the middle of the night.  First group at midnight and second at 4 am.

I think you might find this data very interesting: https://ourworldindata.org/causes-of-death

It may help put the coronavirus into perspective.

This really is not about  death rates -  its about OVERWHELMING medical services and then the death rate will spiral  out of control.

yes more people die in car accidents and flu etc etc etc. BUT that does not happen in a contracted time frame.

And the health care staff gets sick........

compounding the problem

392 is the new total number of cases which is an increase of 80 cases since yesterday.

There are recoveries being reported so active cases will be in the region of 375.

Extra 4 deaths to a total of 10. 2.6% death rate. Median age of death is 65 and 4 in Duarte province.

60% men 40% women.

Increases mainly in Santo Domingo National, Santiago, La Altagracia and Duarte Province.

The most interesting information is still to be posted and that is the spread so we can see where the increases are.

The Minister of Public Health, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas, indicated that 457 people are being followed by travel history to countries where the coronavirus COVID-19 has evolved.

According to Sánchez Cárdenas, he stated that 715 cases were negative for the test.

He also said that 60 percent of cases are male and 40 percent female.

Likewise, the number of provinces without cases remains at 12.

He reported that the provinces with the highest cases is the National District, with 178; Santiago, with 53 cases, and Santo Domingo, with 52 cases.

With 457 being tracked that will indicate increases of decent totals for the next few days.

President speaks to nation at 9am tonight. Tougher measures planned? Wait and see.

Just seen this on twitter which bears out what some of you have said about warmer weather.

We are seeing more studies indicating that the virus will struggle in warmer weather.

This is excellent news if true - a warm spring could give the NHS the breathing room it needs.

If it provides any relief we should never moan about the Great British Weather again!

Professor Karol Sikora
@ProfKarolSikora

No mucking around in the nearby Turks and Caicos Islands a British Overseas Colony.

The government just announce a lock down to add to closed borders with nigh time curfew until Saturday when the curfew is 24 hours to 15th April.

I expect tonight we will be notified of tougher restrictions.

Listin Diario:

RD has about 500 respirators and about 300 Covid-19 tests are performed every day

The Health Minister, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas, reported on Wednesday that the Dominican Republic currently has more than 500 respirators to attend to complicated cases of Covid-19 and indicated that another 600 more are expected, which would add 1,100 respirators.

"The country currently has more than 500 respirators to meet demand and we now have a fairly large quantity arriving at the warehouse for cases of complications that require the assistance of this type of equipment," said the minister.

Using information for MOH website notices the new confirmed cases are in the following areas:

https://www.msp.gob.do/web/?p=6755

Santo Domingo District Nacional        + 41
Santo Domingo                                       +12
Santiago                                                    +9
La Altagracia                                             +1
Samana                                                     +2
Espillat                                                       +4
Sanchez Ramirez                                      +5
San Cristobel                                            +3
Hato Mayor                                               +2
Independencia                                         +1

Ten provinces still with no cases and 11 provinces with no new cases.

Samana, Espillat (Moca, Gasper Hernandez, Rio San Juan), Sanchez Ramirez (Cotui Cervicos Fatino) & Hato Mayor and San Cristobel need to watch.

Both big cities need more control.

I expect that tonight!

Interesting...idea

Identify the 'hot spots' and zero in on them

Haven't seen that anywhere in the world yet

The President's speech in English.

"President Danilo Medina's speech with new measures for the Coronavirus pandemic.
March 25, 2020

Dominican people,

I want to start these words with a huge thank you to all Dominicans.

We are undoubtedly facing extraordinary circumstances, which have allowed us to verify that our people are also extraordinary.

Our doctors and nurses have proven to be extraordinary, our military and police, too. The hundreds of public servants who, whether from 911, from the Government's social plans or from any instance, are attending to the needs of the people, are doing an extraordinary job.

But not only them. Pharmacists, private health service providers, each of the producers and industrialists who continue to work so that there is no lack of food or supplies in supermarkets, the transporters who deliver them, the employees of supermarkets, who are also extraordinary. We are guaranteed basic electricity and water services, those who have stayed at gas stations to provide services, grocery stores, those who continue to cook so that home delivery services work and all those who put their health at risk to help us overcome this crisis.

And of course, the hundreds of thousands of families that remain in their homes, following the recommendations, acting with solidarity and responsibility, are aware that this battle will only be won if we act together.

Special thanks to the National Congress, the honorable senators and deputies, for the declaration of national emergency in record time.

Thank you, thank you all, because when I see your delivery, I have no doubt that our country will succeed!

Dominicans and Dominicans,

I know that this situation is changing everyone's life. That many are concerned about their families, especially the elderly, that others face these moments separated from their loved ones and that the majority look to the future with more questions than answers.

So I want you to be sure of one thing: we will not leave you alone!

We are going to overcome these difficult times and we are going to do it together. As what we are: a great family!

And as in all families, the first thing is to guarantee everyone's health, we have put in place the exceptional measures they already know to keep the population in their homes; but also, many others to guarantee proper care for the sick.

At this time we have public health centers with beds available in isolation areas, enabled to respond to confirmed patients. We are also expanding capabilities, renting two complete private clinics that will come into operation in the coming days.

At the same time, we already have centers located in different parts of the country and we will continue expanding the availability of rooms, to accommodate those people who suspect they have the disease, or who have been in contact with patients, who still have no symptoms or only symptoms mild. These spaces will be dedicated to guaranteeing quarantine compliance and monitoring the evolution of your health.

We also announce that the Dominican government will finance the cost of carrying out the PCR tests for confirmation of the coronavirus from authorized private laboratories.

The tests will be covered for all those people who have a medical prescription and are 59 years or older and any debilitating health condition, considered risky, such as hypertension, diabetes, respiratory diseases, cancer, kidney failure, among others.

In the same way, and always with a medical prescription, the cost of the test will be covered for those who present two or more symptoms.

Currently, the National Laboratory is performing the test for free and other laboratories, both public and private, are being enabled to speed up response capacity.

Also, as the Minister of Health has already announced, starting tomorrow, rapid tests will be available to detect the virus, which will make it possible to know in a few hours whether a case is positive or not.

The High Level Commission chaired by the Minister of the Presidency will be giving more details of these and other measures tomorrow.

Dominican people,

As our elders taught us, when the road becomes difficult, the hand reaches out to those who need the most help first, because here it is about reaching together and reaching everyone, not arriving first.

And that is exactly what the Government is going to do at the moment.

Extend your hand to all families, but especially to all those who have little income or who live on how much or how little they get by going out on the street every day, and who are now waiting, not knowing how they will get the food every day.

For all of them, the Commission for Social Affairs is doing a committed job, to safely deliver the necessary food to the population, house by house.

At this time, the Social Plan of the Presidency is capable of serving 45,000 families each day with 3 servings each, enough for nine days of food. At that rate, they will cover 315,000 families every week throughout the country.

Additionally for students, 1.3 million food rations will be delivered each week, enough for one week of feeding per child.

And for the children from 0 to 5 years old, who received their food in the children's rooms, more than 22,000 basic food kits are also being distributed.

And at the same time, Comedores Econónicos is serving more than 100,000 servings of cooked food every day, in the different centers of the country and through mobile kitchens.

In short, we are going to visit all the neighborhoods and fields of the country in search of those who need food and we are going to make sure that they reach them.

But, of course, we know that a family has more needs in addition to food and that it must be attended to urgently. For this reason, the Commission for Economic Affairs for Emergencies has drawn up a special plan to respond to this crisis, to deliver direct aid to households.

For lower-income informal workers and families in vulnerable conditions, we have arranged the temporary “Stay at Home” aid program.

Specifically, as of April 1, the 811,000 families that today have the Solidarity card and receive an average of 1,500 pesos per month, we are going to carry out a two-month increase in the "Eat is First" component, so that they have 5,000 monthly pesos for the acquisition of food and basic necessities in the Social Supply Network.

However, in addition to these families, I am aware that many more require this support network to face the economic difficulties that lie ahead.

For this reason, we have identified another 690 thousand additional families categorized as poor or vulnerable by the Single System of Beneficiaries (SIUBEN), so that they also receive this temporary support from the “Stay at Home” program.

In short, the Solidarity card will thus reach 1.5 million households and will give 5,000 pesos a month to each one of them, from April 1 to May 31.

In addition, we are going to privilege the households whose heads are especially vulnerable to the coronavirus, to whom we will be assigning an amount of 2,000 additional monthly pesos, thus totaling 7,000 pesos, for more than 350,000 households. We especially urge these, for their health and that of their loved ones, to join the “Stay at Home” initiative.

Our objective is to bring security and certainty where it is most needed, without political or partisan flags, without favoritism or discretion.

From now on, we have started the process of joining 2,000 new businesses to the Social Supply Network, to avoid any shortage of products and respond effectively to the increase in demand that these measures will generate.

I ask these businesses to take responsibility for caring for these families, offering them fair prices and the best quality products.

Because we do not want the need to search for food to be stronger than the desire to preserve health and push fathers and mothers to the streets in search of sustenance, putting their lives and theirs' lives at risk.

Throughout the world, and the Dominican Republic is no exception, these new rules of the game that coronavirus has established affect not only the most vulnerable.

Entire sectors of our economy, which until a couple of weeks ago were the engine of our growth, have been forced to stop short. And that's not just numbers; There are thousands of workers who have been forced to stay at home and entrepreneurs who do not know how they will face their obligations if they do not receive income.

This includes both formal and informal workers. All are being affected by the decrease in economic activity.

As you will remember, in my previous speech, I announced several measures to support the productive sectors, especially to protect jobs. But now, we have decided to go further and send direct help to each worker.

We have designed mechanisms to directly support formal and informal workers, as well as the most vulnerable families, in order to maintain a minimum level of household consumption, which are the backbone of the country's economy.

As for the formal workers, knowing that many companies have had to stop their operations or decrease them to minimum levels, thus affecting hundreds of thousands of workers, I want to tell you that this government is not going to leave them homeless.

To the economic sectors in which we have ordered the temporary cessation of operations, I announce today that the Government is committed to delivering up to 8,500 pesos of the salary of formal employees who have been suspended.

But I also know that there are many companies that, although we have not arranged the closure of their operations, are having difficulties and decreases in their economic activities, and that this may affect their employees.

For this reason, I have also arranged for the Economic Commission to work directly with these companies, in order to provide coverage of a percentage of the salary, which can reach $ 8,500 pesos a month, in order to keep workers on their payroll, Thus facilitating job stability and the income of hundreds of thousands of families.

In this modality, the Government will contribute a percentage of the salary and the companies will only have to cover the difference to complete at least 70% of the salary of each worker, always in exchange for the jobs being preserved.

These measures, like those of the “Stay at home” program, will be in force, for the time being, from April 1 to May 31.

We invite all companies to show solidarity with the workers, so that, working together, we can guarantee these measures.

Ultimately, the government is going to ensure that all employees can continue shopping in the coming weeks and waiting in their homes for this to end, with the peace of mind that their jobs will await them upon their return.

In total, adding the beneficiaries of the Employee Solidarity Assistance Fund (FASE) program and the “Stay at Home” program that increases the benefits of the Solidaridad card, we are ensuring income for more than 5.2 million Dominicans, almost half of the Dominican population.

And since I know some are wondering where that money will come from, here is the answer:

Regarding the cost of the announced measures to support employment in the formal and informal sectors and other measures to support the health sector, we have identified sources to finance them for an approximate amount of up to 32,062.5 million pesos.

Of these, 12,000 million pesos will be obtained from the resources of excess technical reserves held by the Dominican Institute for the Prevention and Protection of Occupational Risks (IDOPPRIL).

In addition, we will have access to around 12,000 million pesos through a loan from the Central Bank to the Government, in response to the national emergency situation declared by the National Congress.

Finally, we have arranged the disbursement of 150 million dollars of financing already contracted for emergencies with the World Bank.

Today, the Economic Commission agreed with the Association of Commercial Banks to relax its cost policy for consumer financing services via credit cards.

And in this sense, we also inform you that during the next 3 months, starting today, the following measures have been taken:

1.- Banks will eliminate the minimum monthly payment on the balance of the card debt.

2.- Likewise, the late fee will be eliminated.

3.- The Reserve Bank decided to lower the consumer interest rate with credit cards to 1% per month.

We urge other banks to take similar steps.

The Economic Commission for the state of emergency will give more technical details of these and other measures tomorrow.

As I said, today I come to speak to you with my heart and, of course, with the truth.

And the truth is that the whole world is facing the unimaginable and that, when this situation started, nobody was prepared for it.

China was not. Europe was not. The United States was not either. But the truth is, also, that this has taught humanity that we must learn together, from successes and mistakes.

Today, more than ever, global leadership is necessary to meet the circumstances, capable of making joint decisions, capable of looking further, thinking of the entire human race and in the long term.

Our advantage as a country, if it can be called that, is that we have been able to learn from what other countries have already experienced in recent months and we had the possibility of taking early measures.

In addition, we have more and more information on how to respond, while science continues to advance, with better treatments, with research on the vaccine and, above all, with more solidarity than ever.

That solidarity is what is making it possible for the world to begin to see a light of optimism at the end of this tunnel.

The countries that were first affected by the pandemic, China, South Korea, Singapore and Japan have shown that with sustained measures of social distancing, the advance of the virus can be stopped first and then reversed. And that must be our north.

Of course, we cannot trust ourselves, and in no way can we let our guard down; But let's move forward step by step, following all the recommendations, taking preventive measures and, above all, staying at home.

Please stay home, so that we can overcome this situation in the best possible way.

From the Government we are dedicated all the time to respond to them, to offer them all the necessary support. Without rest, without sparing efforts, giving the best of each human being, to protect them, to preserve their well-being.

We know that mistakes may have been made in the process and may happen again. But you can be sure of one thing: in each decision we are guided only by the best will to preserve the life of our great Dominican family above all else.

We are at a moment of vital importance. For this reason, now more than ever, the help of all Dominicans is crucial.

Listen well, pay attention, please:

The disease is now in a phase where it could multiply rapidly. In order for this not to happen, the most important thing is to avoid contact. So I say to you once again: Don't take it lightly. Do not leave the house, are not unprotected, keep a distance of 2 arms between people, wash your hands every time you leave and when you touch doors or other surfaces of public places do not put your hands to your mouth, nose or eyes. Believe me, these seemingly simple gestures can save your life and that of many others.

Let's stop the virus from advancing now! Let's do it together! Let's be responsible!

Of course, I know that for many what seems like a simple phrase: “stay home” is actually a great challenge. Some do not have a place to call home and in other cases their homes do not meet the best conditions: because there is no room for everyone, because sometimes they fight and argue, because the food is not enough.

Believe me, not an hour of the day goes by without you thinking about all those difficulties and how to help ease them.

That is why today I wanted to personally announce this package of initiatives, which precisely try to respond to each situation.

And, of course, also know that according to the evolution of the situation and the possibilities of our State, we will be evaluating taking additional measures, which may be more radical.

Finally, I ask you one more time, please, to bring out the best in yourself, to look with the eyes of your heart, to try not to lose patience with your loved ones, not to vent your frustration against children or women. . Think first about staying healthy, about safeguarding the lives of our grandparents and parents, about protecting our children.

It is a time of recollection, of prayer, of peace, of union. It is time to reflect on what is really important.

Stay home, please. And allow the work that must be done to continue solving this situation to be really worthwhile.

Have faith, be patient and do not hesitate, because the sacrifice and goodness of our people will be seen by God, in his infinite mercy and He will be our guide.

Good evening, God bless you all and thank you very much."

WillieWeb wrote:

Interesting...idea

Identify the 'hot spots' and zero in on them

Haven't seen that anywhere in the world yet

Wuhan.

They sent the military to San Francisco de Macoris yesterday because of people ignoring the curfew.

Uncle Buck thanks for posting in full the Presidents speech.

I do think the approach to try and keep paying people part of their salary is the right way. I know it doesn't cover everybody but we just don't know how long this goes on and it is much more reassuring than a one off payment which could be gone in a matter of days. The UK is doing something similar covering a part of salary. This may be a banana republic to some but it is a fair banana republic with food handouts to the poorest too.

I was expecting additional restrictions. They may be waiting for this money to kick in so people can buy food then do it.  I think that will be  too late.

Lets see how this rolls out.

My take -  many expats seem to be happy with this.  MOST Dominicans are not. that is what I am seeing in various publications,  social media groups and conversations that I am a part of online.

Wherever that 2 day chart showing the increased cases....

It shows clearly that the spread here is NOT exponential - as in other countries
RD started early..... and it's working

Italy &n the UK didn't obey.....and started late

USA is hamstrung w/ a lack of centralized health care
It won't be pretty

I disagree. Its not working really well.  That chart is daily not  every  3 or 4 or 5 days.

I think what WW is trying to say is that you don't want to be seeing increasing numbers like 7k, 9k, 11k,14k as has been the case in the USA over the past 4 days, where here we have been 92, 76 and 80 over the past 3 days.

The idea with lock down is you get a flatter curve which peaks and then descends. The tougher the lock down the quicker you achieve the peak. We are on the up curve but not ballooning over a period of days. The USA is on an uncontrolled assent at the present, because the lock down in many states is not there and they can move around the country with ease. Remember covid19 loves transport to propagate and moved around the world free on aircraft even in first class.

Whether our lock down is enough will be seen in the next few days. I expect an increase maybe larger today when the figures announced due to number of cases being monitored, and as should be expected with the controlled lock down approach. We are only one week into this and it takes about 4 weeks to get a grip. And the quantity of testing is giving us a decent indication of spread and transmission and not the real total which will be higher everywhere in the world too. DR is now testing more people per million than many countries and the picture is clearer but not perfect.

The Minister of Health is in the emergency committee meeting with the President right now and the daily update is delayed.

If some areas in DR continue to ignore the measures put in place to social distance, stop movements, not stay at home and ignore curfew, then expect much tougher measures like those applied to San Francisco De Macoris from noon yesterday when the army moved in and are now making sure that people comply.

Right solution here imo, but needs better compliance. Just think that in Europe construction sites still operate. In the USA a great deal of commerce continues. Perhaps we were too late (but people call us a banana republic) but Europe was even later and the USA in some parts and at the top are dithering and way too late.

Diario Libre:

In six nights of curfew, more than 10,000 people have been detained

During the sixth day of the curfew, some 1,480 people were detained for circulating in the streets between 8:00 at night on Wednesday and 6:00 in the morning on Thursday, thus violating government regulations.

According to the National Police report, that figure represents an increase of 12% compared to the night of March 24, where 1,320 people were detained. 

It is recalled that in the fourth, 1,359 detainees were registered; in the third, 1,911; the second, 2,102 and the first, 1,714, for a total of 10,438 in the six days.

The demarcations where these arrests occur the most are Santiago de los Caballeros, La Romana, the great Santo Domingo and Baní.

“These citizens who did not fulfill their duty to the community and are putting their family, neighbors and their community at risk. Let us act with solidarity and responsibility, aware that we will only win this battle if we act together, ”says the National Police.

Despite the fact that various political and social sectors have requested that the curfew be extended, President Danilo Medina did not mention the issue during the measures taken on Wednesday night.

Medina decreed a curfew throughout the Dominican Republic, on Friday March 20 to contain the advance of the coronavirus in the country.

A curfew is the measure that a government establishes in exceptional situations to limit free movement on the streets and permanence in public spaces.

The person who violates that provision may be detained by the authorities and taken to a barracks or detachment. Normally these measures are taken in circumstances of wars, natural disasters or circumstances that could end in conflicts or revolutions.

The increases need to be looked at on a variety of levels considering length of time, # of tests and of course considering overall population numbers.  It's not increases per day.  We are nowhere near a peak! 

I am concerned with the increasing numbers arrested for violating curfew.  People need to stay the hell home as much as possible.

96 more cases TODAY people!!!

Stupid question, I understand the term "stay at home" which of course very sensible.

However we are currently in a private residencia.  Yesterday my wife went for a walk for about 3 hours including walking on the beach and saw 2-3 people all keeping their distance.  Others in condos were out in gardens.

I see people who live next to us and others go about their business, drive to supermarkets etc

We see the private security walk about but no one has said here at least we can't walk about.

Thank you

Ducketts

96 increase in conformed cases up to 488.

Public Health Minister Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas announced that coronavirus cases in the Dominican Republic increased to 488, 96 more than the report on Wednesday.

In a press conference transmitted by digital media, the minister indicated that the area with the most cases is the National District 235 cases, with 48 percent; Santiago 57 cases, with 12 percent; Santo Domingo 57 cases, with 11 percent and Duarte 43 cases, with 9 percent.

Of the confirmed cases, 57 percent and 43 percent were women, aged 2 to 90 years, with an average of 45 years.

960 suspected cases have been ruled out by laboratory tests. Identification and follow-up of confirmed cases and contacts are maintained.

Of the 488 cases, 108 are in hospital isolation, 367 are in home isolation, three received medical discharge.

425 people are kept on track for having a history of travel to countries with transmission or for having been in contact with confirmed cases.

El Ministro de Salud Pública informó que a partir de hoy jueves comienza la reclusión de los casos sospechosos que hayan tenido contacto con casos confirmados.

El ministro Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas explicó que suman 488 casos confirmados y las muertes se mantiene en diez.

Dijo que ya comenzaron hoy las movilizaciones de los casos sospechosos en la provincia Duarte.

Big moves: 57 more in DN and 16 in Duarte, 4 in Santiago and 5 more is rest of Santo Domingo. That means 14 elsewhere.

Curfew extended!

5.00pm to 6.00am from tomorrow

https://listindiario.com/la-republica/2 … e-de-queda

The likely knock on will be that supermarkets and pharmacies will close earlier so staff can get home

And new curfew starting tomorrow afternoon?   The President is definitely not messing around.

Correct.

So yes supermarkets will close by 3:30 - employees will have letters allowing them to travel through curfew.

The new cases today were in the provinces as follows:

District National                 +57
Santiago                               +4
Santo Domingo rest           +3
Duarte (SFM)                       +14
Puerto Plata                        +2
La Vega                                 +3    incl Jarabacoa in LV
Maria Trinidad Sanchez     +1    incl Nagua, Cabrera
San Pedro de Macoris        +2
Espillat                                  +5     incl Moca and a part of NC
San Cristobal                        +1
Valverde                               +1      incl Mao, Esperanza

Numbers from Ministry of Heath website La Altagrcia has 11 cases and not 12 as yesterday so 1 less to give the total 92

No new cases in 21 provinces. Ten still without a case.

Remember
Flattening the curve does NOT reduce the instances but it makes them more manageable
Less load on the hospitals..etc

But flattening is better than spiking.........

And that is exactly the point!  NOT overwhelming hospitals is the objective.  Its likely many many people will get this.  Many will need medical intervention,  what we want to do is make that available!  We do not want to be like Italy where they have to  choose who to help and who to let die.  Because  you know how that is going to work here!!!!

We don't want to be USA either which has now more recorded cases than China!!!

As of now 81,943 (and still reporting today) to China with 81,285.

It's scary.

planner wrote:

It's scary.

I agree.

The serious fallout from the USA will impact DR and many other countries for a very long time.

It is everywhere in most counties throughout the country. And those at the top and leading some states want to ease off.

https://www.bing.com/covid/local/unitedstates

Click on any state and see the spread....looks like Nebraska is safest with only one county reporting this morning - but not now.