COVID-19

They are picking up in Punta Cana.... British Airways and Condor

'ducketts' this is a difficult situation for you. Your airline won't have any responsibility until such time that your return flight comes into play which I understand is some weeks away and after the 15 day emergency period. The decision is this: do you want to fork out for new tickets if you can find any way back to the UK?

I would stay in contact with the UK consulate here and your airline in case they plan any return flights which will take you to Belgium where there is lock down and even then you have to find a way back to the UK. I don't envy your dilemma but I doubt of you are alone in this type of situation. I am sure that other expats in the Sosua area where you are, will be willing to offer moral support if there is no immediate solution, but on the other hand just think you may have the beach to yourself now and can pack a cooler with some things to eat and a few cold drinks and enjoy some relaxing times which is no doubt what you and your wife came for. Just think of what it is like in the UK where there is a suggestion older people go into self quarantine for long periods.

My life is here so I will run with what the government decided to do. They are adopting a Chinese solution like many in Latin America because that worked and quite quickly. To seal off the country, But they may have to go further and seal off regions and prevent travel if there is community spread - but there will be no immunity in the future.

We live in hope for some better news soon.

Greetings - tried to access this direct but the link said it was closed but after posting on a new thread, found a way into this post. Good info here. On my other post, I was asking/suggesting that those who have more info to please post whatever local info you hear or know WRT this. Certainly will be tough on many here. In Moca, more info is becoming available and more folks are wearing masks. Even the local mini-mart has put small bottles of hand disinfectant on their counter. My daughter-in-law, a manager of a local blood testing, has received info on her operations regarding blood testing but they shall also close. WIth everything, except essential services, scheduled to shut down on Thursday for 15 days, I can see and understand problems for many. Wishing you well and for those that have to leave, safe travels and safe landings back in wherever you are returning to.

Thanks Planner

The problem is that many airlines including mine are not repatriating-all they are doing is offering a refund voucher (not even re crediting your credit card) or free cancellation & re booking.

There no signs of any repatriation flights from any European airlines.   So we appear to be truly stuck

Ducketts

We will all have to make do as best we can. Remember masks do not help -  dont use them unless told to by a doctor!   Its a false sense of security!

And also remember that most Dominicans do not have the resources we do.  Lets reach out to those less fortunate!

Haven't been in here for over a week. I assume everyone knows The D.R. is on lock down for at least a month.  We extended our purchase and arrival dates for a month to  6 weeks and kept the option open for it to be longer than that. Most of these viruses fade away after 45 to 60 days. But we have never seen world wide panic like this one is causes. Anyway, stay well and safe. Praying for an end to it.

Yes everyone is aware.  This is clearly not one of those viruses that fades away, its picking up speed if governments do not do what needs to be done!  Its rough but necessary

We have a flight and hotel booked (and paid for) for Punta Cana in late May - that's looking pretty shaky right now. I guess for now all we can do is wait and watch.
I know that is small potatoes compared to what a lot of people are dealing with,  but it was to be our first trip to the DR and we have been looking forward to it for 2 years.

Good luck to everyone, let's hope this is brought under control as soon as possible....

WE are all hoping honey!

Interesting Virus map - pg 3

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/tr … bfd7b0b89b

Hubby is in health research. The thinking in the science department is that we are most likely looking at about 45 to 60 days from first cases to morphing into non-contagious state, in any given area. We shall see.  But is already fallowing that suggestion in South Korea and Japan from what we understand. Hope everyone is safe and well prepared for these kinds of events. .

Looking at my map in post 130

I sense that this will be like our friendly flu--
come back to visit when the time is right... temp & humidity

Note the lack of cases outside the band

https://www.diariolibre.com/

The number of coronavirus cases in the country rises to 34 and the death toll to two

The number of infected by the coronavirus COVID-19 rose to 34 in the country on Wednesday, and the deceased increased to two.

The information was provided tonight by the Minister of Public Health, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas , at a press conference. He explained that all the cases are still imported and that the majority landed in La Romana on the Costa Favolosa cruise ship.

Likewise, he said that they have 54 cases that have been negative to the COVID-19 test; 58 people who are followed up for possible contagion; 61 in isolation and 55 pending the results of the analysis.

Regarding the new death, Sánchez Cárdenas said that it was an 80-year-old man who had traveled to Europe. He suffered from diabetes, hypertension and came to the country asymptomatic and then presented the symptoms of the disease.

He explained that he believed that his nationality is Spanish, but that this information had to be confirmed.

Test cost is RD $ 3,400

Regarding the test, the official said that only the Reference and Amadita laboratories were authorized to carry it out and stated that they must do so with the Berlin protocol and at a cost of 4,300 pesos.

Similarly, he pointed out that these laboratories are committed to maintaining patient confidentiality and also reporting positive cases to health authorities

For those who are seeking out good recent research information on covid19 and relevant to a tropical location, you should read this study in The Lancet of 3 groups of imported cases in Singapore where there is one of the best medical regimes anywhere in the world.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc … S0140-6736(20)30528-6/fulltext

I retain my hope that in the tropics it is only transmitted by to quote 'The cases of COVID-19 in these three clusters are probably attributable to close or prolonged interactions'

back to closing Cabanas or not

Your link isnt working!

Unfortunately this is a common problem with expat.com not copying as active links. Equally not allowing one to add links in edit mode to a post.

The Lancet is a sign in portal but you may be able to google it and get the latest articles and the Singapore one is there.

To add to my scepticism about transmission between persons here, the latest additions in confirmed cases here are largely from the La Romana cruise ship or those that have visited overseas. Yes more testing is needed and the lock down from tomorrow is good albeit quite drastic and 'chinese style'.

I am absolutely sure DR has made the correct decision to ban all arrivals for the time being, especially USA which is the new hot bed with cases numbers now beginning to explode. Europe is in a mess too.

There was a post earlier about how long before the virus peaks and 45 to 60 days was mentioned. This I believe is the anticipated time in the USA in the areas now most affected and was verified by my son who works in the medical pharmaceutical sector in LA - he said 44 days for California.

Personally I hope DR is not in the same boat and the current reporting in all other regions outside the northern hemisphere may give us reason to hope.

https://www.bing.com/covid

To ducketts and all stranded Europeans.

The Embassy of Belgium has published today a statment about the current situation of many stranded compatriotes.

'''We are aware that you are in a delicate situation. We are working non stop, including with Eurpean colleagues since flights have been suspended. We thank you for the patience you are showing.

It is a complicated crisis management as it requires derogations from the Dominican government, agreements with airlines, slots, commercial aspects, and finding crews.

We will let you know asap when there will be a solution.'''

In his speech President Macron of France also stated that the Government would go and fetch people wherever they are.

'ducketts' you have right to consular help, please see the link below :

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove … -to-the-uk

Be patient, this crisis has taken everybody aback.

With very few cases compared to Europe and the confinement starting tomorrow in the DR, you are much better here, at least for some time, waiting for the epidemia to decrease in Europe, than in your country.

Thanks so much. 

Great comments and gratefully appreciated.

Ducketts

I would also add that whilst I'm British, my flight was BRU-POP and the return POP-BRU with TUI Belgium.

We chose them as TUI UK stopped for some reason last year any further flights into POP from LGW & MAN.  Last year we flew with Condor into SDQ who also suspended most of their flights into POP.  Not sure why POP have lost so many European airlines

My wife is Russian but has permanent residency both in the UK and France.

But as you say probably safer here currently as the UK is now beginning to catch up France & Spain.

My wife came back from shopping today (took 3 hours-panic buying) and the taxi driver mentioned there are no cases of Covid-19 neither in Cabarete nor in Sosua.  If this is correct, I wonder for how long.

Anyway thanks again

I am sure cases are everywhere. If they are not, it is just a matter of time.

I have asked that - again - the multiple threads on the virus be combined.  Please stop posting in multie threads. Keep it in one place.

Planner - Admin can delete the one I started after I tried to access the first one i saw but it stated it was closed and no others showed when I searched for it before starting. I then received a thread that opened this one up....confusing! But you are right - only one needed....

And another one was started after yours honey!   I am having it merged here.

Emergency period now 25 days (from 15)

and I hear only 5 customers at a time in the big supermakets in Sosua

Some Asian countries are now facing a second wave of covid 19 and they come from imported cases after they have got control of the first wave.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51955931

This is going to be a problem for many nations and one DR will have to face. It will decimate the tourism industry for some time to come because the only way to stop new imported infections is to either seal off the country for a long time or require all those entering in the future from infected countries to go into quarantine for 14 days. Bad scenario indeed.

I've just been looking at the rate of increase of the spread in Europe and USA and it is not pleasant reading. Europe has been closing borders and Italy has finally decided to isolate the Lombardy area.

From what we have learned from China the only way to beat this is to isolate infected areas in draconian style. But to add, reinfection will be a lasting problem until it is eradicated everywhere or a vaccine found or there is herd immunity where many become infected and many die.

Latin American countries are moving in this direction with complete closing off of their countries.

We are at the mercy of Europe and USA for some time to come and let's hope they start adopting more drastic measures and isolate the worst areas and stop all but essential travel and commerce to get a control quickly. We can see that you can have a big problem in Italy one day and the next it has spread to France, Spain then UK  and later Poland etc. The same will apply to USA where the current centres are the North East and the West Coast, but soon it could be the Midwest and Rockies - and then reinfections as is happening in Asia.

Nightmare with a virus that enjoys travel and doesn't understand money and commerce.

WillieWeb wrote:

Emergency period now 25 days (from 15)

and I hear only 5 customers at a time in the big supermakets in Sosua

Where did you get the additional period information from.....not in any media yet?

Is someone confusing the teaching closure which is 25 days?

2. Suspension of teaching until April 13

No it's the Senate approved state of emergency declaration only that is 25 days.

This mandated "slowing of everything" is 15 days with probably additional  15 days to follow

Great News coming for several world wide locations. No new cases for several days in South Korea, Japan and China. Information coming out of Southern California and being confirmed from North Carolina Medical Research says we are nearing the end of this virus.  What to expect as the virus mutates beyond contagion: An uptick in cases of at least double, on a daily basis, for 3 to 4 days. Then it vanishes quickly. We are on target for 44-45, as has been confirmed in the historical record.  But be warned. It is NOT time to venture out.  Yes it is almost over. But can still infect for a few more days.

Lennox - thank you for your continued updates. They are well written.and informative. 

I cannot keep up at the moment with all of this, trying to keep two companies and 32 staff afloat and on track.

My main company does power cleaning and services to large buildings.  We are transitioning to disinfecting services and industrial cleaning!  Yes, we are going to be swamped!

Got it planner.

It is still 15 days but the Senate has asked for 25 days and it now goes to Congress and then back to the President and only he can change it upwards.

The 25 would take us through Semana Santa.

Tigerink - That is bad information. This is nowhere near over! 

The only way this timeline works is complete shutdown and isolation!

We shall see.  It's exactly on track and coming directly from two Medical Research teams with decades of experience. So again. We shall see. We still have about 2 weeks to go and then another week or so to let the dust settle. 3 weeks on the outside.

Optimism is no bad thing but in these times realism is much better.

Research says it can take up to 24 days for the virus to take hold too, and the USA has only tested 26 people per million, whereas in S Korea the number is 4,000 per million, UK is 400 per million and Italy 1000 per million.

The USA is still in the dark on the extent of the virus spread and not doing enough yet to prevent spread and that will affect us all. Europe is beginning to implement lock downs and travel restrictions realizing there is no other way as China has shown.

Here is some interesting news just now in Diario Libre which will answer questions some have raised about the infection of the son of the head of the ports authority - linked to the La Romana cruise ship.

Added to which the MoH are stating there is still no evidence of community transmission to date.

The Minister of Public Health, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas, reported that the son of the director of the Dominican Port Authority, Víctor Gómez Casanova, became infected with COVID-19 after having contact with the passengers of a ship with 110 Dominicans, of whom five gave positive for coronavirus.

He said that the young man may have acquired the virus from a student who came from Spain on that ship. He maintained that there is still no community contagion of COVID-19 in the country, despite the fact that Víctor Fernando Gómez was infected in Dominican territory.

He noted that the country is still in phase three, and that community contagion has not been reached, but rather a conglomerate.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … PI17795468

This is a bit of realism posted just now on the BBC World updates:

How long till things go back to normal?

Helier Cheung

BBC News

It's not clear right now how long this outbreak could go on for – or how long social distancing measures will be needed.

Ooi Eng Eong, a professor in emerging infectious diseases at the National University of Singapore, says he is “optimistic” as infection numbers started falling within two to three weeks in Hubei province after China began an extreme lockdown there.

However, “the way China did the shutdown was pretty drastic, and they combined the shutdown with active screening and removing infected cases [into quarantine]”. In places with softer measures he imagines it could take “slightly longer”.

By contrast, Benjamin Cowling, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Hong Kong, says “we can't really relax until there's a vaccine” – which could take about 18 months or two years.

When a lockdown ends, there's still a risk that local transmissions will start again and a “second wave” of infections begins, he adds. “Prolonged lockdowns are really damaging for the economy, while an epidemic is really damaging to public health… there's not a lot of good choices.”

Still 2 to 3 weeks to go in Hubei, China! With no new cases locally transmitted.

Compare that to Europe and USA which had near 2000 new cases yesterday now that they are starting to test more.

18 months may sound more realistic unless the Chinese severe measures are taken or a vaccine is found.

planner wrote:

No it's the Senate approved state of emergency declaration only that is 25 days.

This mandated "slowing of everything" is 15 days with probably additional  15 days to follow

Yes Ma'am - right

I interpreted wrong...

Sorry for the confusion

French tourist tests positive for coronavirus in Nagua.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … KO17804853

The tourist, whose name was not offered, recently arrived in the country and was vacationing in Las Terrenas de Samaná.

And not quarantined on arrival!  Yup it's everywhere!

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … LO17806872

Great to see that Dominicans are observing the shut down in a big way with the streets of Santo Domingo virtually empty and this is happening nationwide.

You wouldn't have expected this response but Dominicans are much more aware than other countries and have genuine fear and are adopting the required measures.

I am still optimistic that the imported cases can be contained with limited local spread and the best way to do that is stop movement and self distance along with cleaning hands etc. and most of all stop imported cases.

I am truly amazed that my family are telling me that in the village they live in the campo everyone is staying at home and not going out or mixing for fear of covid19.

Clearly the people of DR are adopting the ideal response which would never happen in the west.

Very surprised here and we don't plan to venture out either .