COVID-19

Way too late sadly.  I fear that in almost every country it's too little too late.

And no it is still not time to panic. 

It is time to take preventative measures if you are higher risk.

On another note my employee's son goes to school on the armed forces base. It's a massive property and includes the hospital where the Italian is in isolation.  Imagine they did not put the hotel in isolation BUT all school kids were told to stay home!   How ridiculously stupid!

So now we hear that the hotel where the infected tourist stayed put all possibly infected staff.on vacation!  There were not put in isolation, vacation. 

Other hotel guests continued as damn normal playing on the beach etc!

Really??? This is how the govt is handling this?  Unbelievable!

The Xi Jinping Covid 19 (as I call it) IS A BIO-WEAPON.  Proven by many top experts in several countries, including Dr. Francis Boyle.
Slightly over 80% exposed to the virus GET the virus.

The time between being able to spread the virus, and and have any symptoms is 14 days, some cases appear to be over 21 days, but those MAY BE re-infection.

The virus mutates extremely well.  What this means is, todays vacine (months away) may not work on tomorrows virus.  On the bright side, the more lethal mutations tend to fade off due to killing the hosts.
Death rate depends on many things:  age, general health, genetics, environmental health risks, available medical resources.  The range seems to be at between 2-15% so far, depending on the factors listed above.  BILL GATES ran tests on this virus months BEFORE it officially started spreading and he estimated 65 million deaths world wide.

Re-infection is extremely bad for a person.  Apparently it can cause a sudden heart attack.  That might explain the videos of people thinking they were well enough to walk somewhere then dropping face first onto the street.

This virus was KNOWN IN CHINA as of Dec 1 2019, maybe earlier.  A chinese guy I spoke with was surprised there was no checks of any sort when he flew into Vancouver from China on Jan 15, 2020.  He was 1000 km away from Wuhan and had his temperature checked 3 times on his way out of China.  Canada as of today still appears to be doing NOTHING.  Several days ago, I quit monitoring news from China, because there is none.  Google, Youtube, Twitter are all screeing in.  Not to mention the brutal marshall law crack down on news coming out of China.  When I last hear heard, 760 MILLION people in China were under quarantine INCLUDING BEIJING.

This is NOT just another flu.  Washing your hands helps a lot.  And many readily available products can kill the virus on surfaces (where under OPTIMAL conditions it can last up to 24 or so days but a "hard surface" would be 4-9 days).  And Vitamin C is effective to prevent it, and very effective if you catch it (large regular doses).  Those silly "N95" paper masks work (95% of dust NOT vapors) are actually 80% effective).  Bio or vapor filters work even better.  The main factor in all this is being vigilant and helping others around us to do the same.  A disciplined, well informed society will fare far better than others.

Let's keep this conversation related to DR.  We all can read about all the other information elsewhere.

We are not going to allow conjecture, politicizing or inflammatory statements.

We also will not allow anything even close.to conspiracy statements.

If you make a statement that isn't readily verified you better show source of this!   

That is the first time I have seen any information that the virus can "live up to 24'days or so on surfaces" .  Studies? Official statements?  Where did that come from.

Where did the "80% exposed get the virus" come from?  Again not seen that anywhere.

I am not suggesting this is or is not true.  I am asking for your source.of information.

If it isn't verifiable don't post it please.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … BE17465620

An Italian family of four who were staying at the same hotel in Bayahibe are now in the hospital Ramon de Lara at the military base in San Isidro with flu like symptoms.

By not isolating the hotel after the incidence as other countries have done was perhaps a contentious move?

The true extent of the spread of this virus isn't clear in many countries because of the testing regimes in place or rather not in place. There are perhaps many people with mild symptoms in many countries spreading the virus unknown, and it is the older age group and people with weaker immune systems that are suffering when contacted by the virus. Italy has the second oldest population in the world after Japan.

China seems to have a grip on the outbreak and cases are reducing day by day and that was due to some pretty severe isolation regimes. Italy and many other European countries having growing cases. The UK seems to be very open and informative about a growing outbreak with transparency about the numbers tested, infected and so on with good information through the National Health Service. The USA has had limited testing and the cases are now beginning to grow day by day. 

DR seems to be working hard on information flow but the people are anxious and worried. Let's hope the warmer weather here stunts the spread here and in the Caribbean. When we see transmission to locals is the time real concern will set in.

Yes the response here has been inadequate at best.

In conversation today with some very educated Dominicans, there is a huge need for education about this virus.  The misinformation is massive.

I am sorry to hear about these other possible cases but it is expected. And there will be more!

My friend from Belgium was boarding a bus yesterday in La Romana. The driver asked her if she was Italian. Several passengers did not want her to sit beside them. They asked her to sit on the floor....

I understand the fear but we must educate

DONT PREPARE THEN.  I have spent enough time.  My hands are clean.

Ummmm Kittenjuggler  who are you responding to?

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … AH17546464

Unfortunately the number of cases is growing in the country and has spread beyond the Bayahibe/La Romana area to San Fransisco de Macoris in the Cibao.

All inked back to Italy which has finally decided to do what the Chinese did and lock down parts of the country. Just reading that China only had 44 new cases yesterday much less than many other countries now facing the disease.

I did read yesterday about a Spanish man under surveillance in Puerto Plata and have read nothing since.

Yes 3 Dominicans returning from Italy  brought the virus with them.  All arrived without symptoms.

What is making me a hey isntwo of the three "escaped" from hospital last night!  Really what kind of joke do they think this is?  They have proceeded to spread this virus even more.

I am not concerned for me. I don't want the virus but many Dominicans are not in good health and have no insurance! 

Many of my friends may be at risk and at least one of my employees is definitely at risk. 

Authorities here need to get there shit together immediately!

China the Italy were the problem countries exporting the virus initially and DR's cases have been linked to Italy, however I am concerned that with so many Dominicans living in the New York area (which is seeing cases increase rapidly), we will see cases coming from people who are flying in from that area soon where testing has been somewhat lacking.

Absolutely correct. As it spreads in NY we will see.more cases here.

A confirmed case in the centre of Santo Domingo in Naco:

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/202 … ronavirus/

It was in an office and one wonders what is the link?

As mentioned before the cases in the USA and especially the New York area are spiralling upwards exponentially which means trouble for DR too.

It is all happening:

https://listindiario.com/la-republica/2 … bservacion

Others under observation along with the confirmed case in Naco.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … IE17571328

posible that Belgian who died in Higuey hospital could have had the virus.

Four foreigners in Puerto Plata under observation awaiting tests plus two others - one in Hato Mayor.

And the responses don't seem to be adequate. Imagine the HR person saying they didn't think their employee was contagious! 

Yes it's spreading so we.all need.to be mindful!  For those at risk stay home.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … KL17589434

Two new suspected cases involving foreigners from Samana.

Santo Domingo.- Despite that several countries have closed their borders and restricted the arrival of people from China, Italy and other nations as a preventive measure against COVID-19, the Dominican Republic still allows the entry of passengers arriving from those countries through several airlines.

This is confirmed by a statement from JetBlue airline, in which its customers are informed that all those who have been in China in the last 14 days will only be able to travel to Punta Cana (PUJ) and Santo Domingo (SDQ), and no another destination in the Dominican Republic.

So far the Dominican Republic has restricted flights from Italy, however there are passengers who have entered the country, with connections to other terminals such as Spain.

JetBlue has told its customers of the measures they have taken against the new coronavirus and of the restrictions that exist in the destinations in their itineraries.

This was in Dominican Today this afternoon.

It struck me that the concern should no longer be China which appears to have everything under control but rather most European countries and probably the USA too, especially arrivals from New York. They mention Italians travelling through Spain but fail to mention Spain has a serious problem now too. Perhaps the flights from Madrid need suspending too.

We are in the dark as far as how many cases there are in the country right now. The testing kits aren't here and they send the samples for testing to Puerto Rico is what I read.

But maybe the warm weather works in our favour and unless there is direct contact maybe the virus does not survive on surfaces as long as it does in colder climes. I hope so.

I must admit I do get suspicious looks when shopping these days in Santo Domingo. I guess a sign saying I'm not Italian would work this week, but maybe I would need to add several other nationalities next week.

Iberia/British Airways operate daily flights from SDQ to Madrid as do Air Europa. This should be of great concern.  And any flights from any airport from the US should be of concern as well 

DR should be testing every disembarking passenger but that won't happen  I think you may be right the warm weather might help.

Only time will tell but this will not go away in the short term and the months of April May are seemingly becoming very important as a guide of how well or otherwise countries are controlling this virus

Ducketts

My friends it's already too late.  It's here and yes it will spread. More people will bring it in as well.

We.can hope that higher temperatures will be in our favor but as of now there is nothing showing that stops it or slows it down.  Fingers crossed.

And of course, wash your hands.

This was posted on the experts forum and worth sharing:

Hello everyone

For anyone planning to travel by air in the coming days / weeks, use this page to find out if your trip can be made.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/#

I advise you to disseminate information on your forums

There is a sense of fear in the population from what I am seeing and people are avoiding congregating.

Yet not that many people with symptoms are being seen and whilst testing might not be good that is perhaps a good sign.

It is becoming clearer that the vast majority of cases are in the colder northern hemisphere. Countries in the tropics and warm southern hemisphere have much fewer cases and almost always imported. Costa Rica for example has good testing but few cases. Fingers crossed.

Europe is a worry and suspending flights has been suggested now. The biggest worry is the USA which has tested so few and did not react quickly enough for the whole population thinking it was a chinese matter. It could become worse than Italy in some parts. Even the President could have been affected but wont get tested. Terrible example to the population of failing to understand how this is transmitted.

Dominicans are cancelling flights to USA in fear and maybe flights from there might be called to be suspended too.

Just to make my point about DR needing to start thinking about suspending New York flights or run the risk of the virus being brought here by the many Dominicans that live there, is that the cases have now jumped to 429 with little testing having been carried out! Time bomb for that part of the world.

The virus grows exponentially.  Due to lack of testing it is expected for every 1 positive there are 1,000 we don't know about.

It's already too late.  The opportunity has passed.  Now we have to close.off those who are infected and practice social distancing.  Right!

I was at Santo Domingo airport yesterday. Absolutely no one paying attention to this.  I watched people arrive for 45 minutes.  At least 20% coughing sneezing etc.  No one keeping their distance.  Lots of hugging kissing and embracing going on.

Same at every damn grocery store today.  Last day before the end of the world in supermarkets today! 

It's a pay weekend, Friday the 13th, and an election!  Good grief.

I am having a drink!

https://listindiario.com/la-republica/2 … rea-e-iran

Flights between DR and Europe have been suspended for a month!

Temperature checks started now at DR airports:

https://noticiassin.com/fortalecen-moni … onterizos/

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic.- The Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance (MISPAS) in coordination with the Ministry of Defense and the Specialized Body on Airport Security and Civil Aviation (CESAC), carry out temperature control tests on passengers that enter the country through the Americas International Airport (AILA) as a preventive measure against coronavirus or COVID-19.

According to our correspondent Pavel Arias, through temperature scanners (devices capable of offering thermal images, determine if the traveler has a fever before entering the country, and thus follow up.

The procedure is carried out by personnel from the Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance (MISPAS), the Ministry of Defense and the Specialized Corps on Airport Security and Civil Aviation (CESAC).

With this practice, the Dominican Republic joins the precautions that some countries have implemented to avoid the spread of the virus.

Goodness me what  do we do now

I have to get back for medical reasons

Ducketts

If you don't go today you are not going. 

The DR is again way behind on this.  They missed the opportunity.

Can't go today as all flights to Europe fully booked so stuck here

Ducketts

Speak to your airline. There will be ways to get back through other adjacent islands like Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and St Martin even Canada. But options are closing as all countries are suspending flights.

My guess is flights from New York to DR will come under close scrutiny very shortly.

US flights are looming large about now

duckets -- WestJet....
POP - YYZ (Toronto) - Gatwick

2 hr connect in Toronto....right beside the sushi bar

Thanks you, that's kind of you

The problem is my wife is Russian albeit it she is a resident both of France and the UK  The US don't seem to understand the meaning of "transit" so she would be required to have a Transit Visa which requires an interview at a US consulate or embassy.  So we can only fly back to Europe either direct or via non US/Canada countries.

Not sure how bad the virus will get here but countries like France , Italy & Spain are suffering badly.
One thought was to bide our time here until things might get better.  Frankly we are totally confused as there does seem to be any easy answers.  Thanks

Ducketts

I suspect your airline is in process of evaluating the consequences of the suspension of flights from and to Europe from Monday by the Dominican government. It would contact customers that are affected by the one month's suspension first. I am sure they are in a complete state of flux through the actions of various governments banning flights from Europe. I am sure they will contact you soon.

You are right, the situation in Europe - all of Europe - looks dire. The same can be said of the USA as cases start to soar there too. Air travel has to be a risk activity right now and all you need is one infection on a flight and the virus could spread exponentially.

The reported cases in DR so far are imported and a couple of people who came into direct contact with those travellers. Agreed there hasn't been much testing but Dominicans are prone to go to the medics for the slightest cold, so unless there is complete government misinformation, I am wondering what is happening. Warm weather syndrome? the cases in tropical parts of the world seem much lower than elsewhere. Why or is it just lack of testing?

Right now based upon the lack of reported confirmed cases here, you might be better off  staying and taking the precautions recommended. For sure the warmer weather is so much better especially in coastal locations for prevention of common respiratory ailments such as nasal congestion and catarrh.

To add, there is much speculation about how bad this could get in DR on other social media, but for me something doesn't add up when one reviews the reported cases in the tropics in numerous countries. I don't think we should panic like much of the population is doing here, but we should take all the precautions recommended and more whilst the picture becomes clearer.

ducketts wrote:

Thanks you, that's kind of you

The problem is my wife is Russian albeit it she is a resident both of France and the UK  The US don't seem to understand the meaning of "transit" so she would be required to have a Transit Visa which requires an interview at a US consulate or embassy.  So we can only fly back to Europe either direct or via non US/Canada countries.

Not sure how bad the virus will get here but countries like France , Italy & Spain are suffering badly.
One thought was to bide our time here until things might get better.  Frankly we are totally confused as there does seem to be any easy answers.  Thanks

Ducketts

But my suggestion is thru Canada... not USA

The government will announce more measures in the coming days
Yep, next phase is likely to come soon next week.

President Danilo Medina reported that in the coming days the authorities will announce new measures to combat the coronavirus and said that those that were announced yesterday were in accordance with the international protocol.

"The government will announce more measures in the coming days, now we will announce measures that go in the direction of protecting the productive apparatus, protecting jobs in the Dominican Republic," said the president.

He argued that the government is working directly with the Pan American Health Organization and the World Health Organization, following the protocol that is being applied around the world.

In this sense, he said that there are several stages, such as those in countries that do not have confirmed cases; The second corresponds to those that do have, but which is not territorial, and the third is when the COVID-19 begins to take place from person to person, so he pointed out that, according to each case, they will take measures.

"That is why yesterday we announced the measures that close the country practically abroad because all the cases that we have have come from abroad and consequently we must protect the citizenry," said the president.

He noted that the moment the country enters the stage of contamination by community transmission, they will take the measures that such an event warrants.

Medina said the government alone will not be able to fight the coronavirus, so he urged families to isolate their members with symptoms of the new virus and notify health authorities.

He noted that the moment the country enters the stage of contamination by community transmission, they will take the measures that such an event warrants.

This is the big question.

From the reported cases in the country, we have not been told of any community transmission.

It is quite a long time now since the first infected cases were reported from arrivals at La Romana airport and who stayed at hotels in Bayahibe (19th and 22nd February). But there have been no reports of cases of transmission to hotel employees nor their families. Nor and outbreak in La Romana. Why? The odds would been high that the virus would have been passed on by perhaps airport, transport and hotel employees who were in contract or indirect contact with the diagnosed persons to others. Could there be concealment? Or are the conditions in DR not ideal for community transmission? Time will tell.

Certainly the conditions here are better for slow to less transmission

But only time will tell

Publish that chart I sent you..... I'll look for it too

Got it

Scientists have found “striking similarity” in temperature and humidity between regions that have reported major coronavirus outbreaks.

The researchers found that the places share an average temperature of 5°C to 11°C (41°F to 52°F) and 47% to 79% humidity.

They are located along the same temperature zone in the northern hemisphere. It includes outbreak epicenters such as China's central province of Hubei, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Northwestern America and Northern Italy.

The study, done by a group of scientists from the US and Iran, was published on March 9 and is awaiting review by peer experts.

The researchers said they may be able to predict which regions will be most likely hit by the virus in the upcoming weeks using methods of weather modeling.

All places with a major coronavirus outbreak are located along a corridor with a similar climate, scientists say. Illustration: Inkstone/Tom Leung
All places with a major coronavirus outbreak are located along a corridor with a similar climate, scientists say. Illustration: Inkstone/Tom Leung
The study said a coronavirus outbreak could emerge in areas just north of the current outbreak zone.

While the researchers said their predictions are speculative and do not take into account human factors such as travel and public health measures, large cities indicated as at risk include London, Berlin, Prague, Hamburg, Vancouver, New York and Kiev.

But if temperatures warmed rapidly, the risks to these areas might be mitigated, the researchers added.

The study was part of wider efforts by scientists to understand which traits the new coronavirus shared with other human coronaviruses and flu viruses, which display strong winter seasonality.

The team said that none of the cities affected by the coronavirus reported minimum temperatures below 0 degree Celsius (32°F), which may help to understand the virus's preferred climate.

Thanks for posting that.

To me that makes sense looking at how the virus has spread and the hot spots.

Interestingly the main spread in Iran is in the colder north and north west and not the hot south. Another example of the weather being in play. Northern Italy is cool now so is most of Europe.

Air conditioning may not help in warmer climes. In colder climes people are constantly going between warm and cold when going out from their homes and into work. Factors perhaps too.

https://listindiario.com/las-mundiales/ … us-en-eeuu

729 now in New York area. Increasing quickly with limited testing and ideal environment for virus to spread.

This is what Medina is thinking about. Too much daily traffic from NY to DR for comfort and remember they knocked back Milan flights after one confirmed case arriving in La Romana from Italy.