Gambling in The Netherlands

So after extensive research, I'm not getting a clear answer on some of these gambling queries:

- Are you allowed to bet on UK sports, using your UK betting and bank account?

If so:

- Do you need to pay Dutch taxes on winnings still? In the UK, gambling is tax free.

I already know which betting sites allow you to place bets abroad (Ladbrokes, Betway, William Hill etc). But can you be taxed on your winnings by the Dutch Government? How would they track this anyway?

I don't gamble so I don't know about rules in my country, the only thing I can say gambling is heavily taxed in the Netherlands.
How they do that in your specific case I really don't know.

That's not true from what I can find (which isn't alot)

You certainly are taxed (29%) on games of chance like lotteries in The Netherlands.

But if you're betting on sites like William Hill (which you can do without a VPN) using your previously registered "UK account" and your UK bank account, I cant find any information on official Dutch government sites about the laws around that. So as of now I will assume it's okay!!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've never gambled and it's fair to say I know the square root of zilch about it.

This link may help you.  User warning - that's not a Dutch Government website and could be total BS.

With regards to paying taxes; that's decided by where you are resident, not where you "earn" the money.  If you are deemed as being resident in the Netherlands, then the Belastingdienst will assess you for tax on all worldwide income.  There is a double-taxation agreement in place between UK/NL, so if you've been assessed for it in the UK, then they shouldn't charge you tax on it in NL, but you still must declare it - they decide whether to tax it, not you.  You should be aware that this agreement only covers income taxes, all other Dutch taxes fall outside this agreement and are levied on everybody, not just gamblers - everyone pays social taxes.

The Belastingdienst have access to your bank account and may ask you to account for unexplained transactions; the 29% figure is the same as the social tax number in the Netherlands, perhaps that is what's happening here, there is no getting away from that.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Without trying to sound like I'm trying to avoid tax (I dont mind paying, just knowing if I have to!)

... they cant have access to my UK bank accounts, can they?

In fact, what would stop someone using remote desktop like TeamViewer back to a machine in their home country and betting from there using their home country bank account?

The only clear instruction I can find on any type of gambling is games of chance winnings over €449 are taxed at 29%.

Does anyone recommend me sitting in a queue on the phone to the Dutch tax office to get a definitive answer?

No, but they can and do routinely talk to HMRC who can tell them stuff from what's known as a "third party notice"; international tax avoidance, dodging, call it what you like is a significant issue for all countries and they do work together to deter/catch those who are up to it.  The problem you have is that international money is often tied up with international crime, so you stand a greater chance of being caught out.

You're not the only guy who gambles on-line, they will look for markers that may highlight you as low-hanging fruit and easy to knock off.

My advice is if it's a lot of money, go talk to a Dutch tax advisor and get quality advice on how to offset any profits against legitimate expenses, internet forums are not the place for that; if it's not a lot of money, then declare it - they will find it in the end and in addition to taking the tax owed, will also fine and maybe deport you.  The Belastingdienst have a saying "nobody likes to pay taxes, but we can help make it easier".

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Pr0be wrote:

In fact, what would stop someone using remote desktop like TeamViewer back to a machine in their home country and betting from there using their home country bank account?

The only clear instruction I can find on any type of gambling is games of chance winnings over €449 are taxed at 29%.

Does anyone recommend me sitting in a queue on the phone to the Dutch tax office to get a definitive answer?

It's when the money moves that you get caught.

I would be leaving the money in my UK account though as I expect to move back in 3-4 years.

If there was a law here that states tax will be taken on all horse racing winnings, then fine I will withhold that percentage and pay but I dont see that anywhere (offically).

There is no law anywhere that specifically mentions what you describe.  There is very much a law that says "all world-wide income", you wouldn't be the first guy to be caught out by this.

Anyway - I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour.

Cynic
Expat Team

Understood.

No difference in your statement if I told you gambling in the UK is tax free AND we dont do tax returns in the UK?

Hi again.

I'm aware that Betting Duty as it was known in the UK was removed in 2001.

You do have tax-returns in the UK if you have any unassessed income to declare (i.e. income not already assessed under the PAYE system or capital gains).

UK residents have no requirement to declare any gambling winnings to HMRC, but you're not a UK resident.  I'm not sure what the requirements are for a resident of the Netherlands, hence why I advised you to speak to a Dutch Tax advisor.

That's great thanks for your time!

If anyone else has any info, perhaps a UK expat that's been through this already, please post below as I have alerts set up for this thread :)

I have found it on the belastingdienst website: www.belastingdienst.nl

So yes if you live and work in the Netherlands you will have to pay taxation over your winnings.
The taxation is 30,1% of the winnings.