Foreigner Married to Vietnamese National: Visa Options?

I have just married a Vietnamese woman and currently am on a 3 month tourist visa. Can anyone clarify what I have to do or can do Visa wise?

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Title edited for better clarity.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

You should now be able to apply for the 5 year visa which will allow you to stay 6 months at a time but have no idea what paperwork you'll need to fill out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIdqtfldCxc
you can skip to about 2:45

5 year visa exemption or a 2-3 year TRC are your options.

I do believe wrote:

I have just married a Vietnamese woman and currently am on a 3 month tourist visa. Can anyone clarify what I have to do or can do Visa wise?

qnbui wrote:

You should now be able to apply for the 5 year visa which will allow you to stay 6 months at a time but have no idea what paperwork you'll need to fill out.

colinoscapee wrote:

5 year visa exemption or a 2-3 year TRC are your options.

Here is a thread on the forum with more information on the VEC:

5 Year Visa Exemption Certificate

Here is a thread on the forum with more information on the TRC:

Temporary Resident Card (without work permit)

Good luck!

5 year is good if you enter and exit every six-months, if you stay long term the TRC is better.

Thanks - the deed is done.

Going through the process now... back soon with info.
From what ,y wofe has advised so far its a farily easy process if you prepare eveyrthing in advance.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Going through the process now... back soon with info.
From what ,y wofe has advised so far its a farily easy process if you prepare eveyrthing in advance.

My VEC was easy-peasy.  I filled it out, she took it in with the marriage license, came back with 5 years for $10.

Benefits of a vietnamese wife... they are so organised 🤩

Just a tidbit more - the 5 year VEC can be extended ONCE per entry allowing one year before being required to leave the country.  That's what I do if I don't travel outside often enough.

Travelfar wrote:

Just a tidbit more - the 5 year VEC can be extended ONCE per entry allowing one year before being required to leave the country.  That's what I do if I don't travel outside often enough.

Your saying that your VEC allows you to remain for 365 days, not 180 days as per the visa.

That would be very handy if it's true..
Travelling anywhere at the moment is risky with virus cases popping up every day

You can get restamped at an immigration office any province,with paperwork  before 180 days
10 usd or equivlent  vnd
Not sure how many times you can get restamped without exiting the country
I have only restamped passport once since having a vec.
Paperwork took about 3 days to process and return passport

Your saying that your VEC allows you to remain for 365 days, not 180 days as per the visa.

Yes.  About 1 week before the entry stamp date, a visit to immigration with some nonsense paperwork and $10 gets a 180 day extension from the date of the submittal, not the stamp date.

Awesome that is very handy to know.
Just waiting on my VEC back and was not looking forward to having to do a trip 180 days after.

This place is a great source of info 😍

Travelfar wrote:

Yes.  About 1 week before the entry stamp date, a visit to immigration with some nonsense paperwork and $10 gets a 180 day extension from the date of the submittal, not the stamp date.

Unfortunately this does not work in every provence, Ba Ria Vung Tau for example wont stamp it.

colinoscapee wrote:

Unfortunately this does not work in every provence, Ba Ria Vung Tau for example wont stamp it.

Do we have to go to our province?

In An Giang province you can only get a VR visa. Which you can extent every 6 month. Downside it' s a single entry visa.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Do we have to go to our province?

You can get it done in Saigon, but you will have to travel up and back twice or get one of those vulture agents to overcharge you.

Had a brief discussion with a friend of the family that's an official here regarding the extension to a VEC and it seems quite easy, at least in my district. One needs to download and fill out form NA5 and take it to your relevant office together with proof of where you live, a couple of passport photo's and marriage cert copy notorised  . ..   and passport of course. Takes 3 or 4 days.

Indices wrote:

Had a brief discussion with a friend of the family that's an official here regarding the extension to a VEC and it seems quite easy, at least in my district. One needs to download and fill out form NA5 and take it to your relevant office together with proof of where you live, a couple of passport photo's and marriage cert copy notorised  . ..   and passport of course. Takes 3 or 4 days.

Thats half the problem here, no uniform laws.

In my provence they will only issue you with a 2-year TRC, head to Saigon and you can get 3-years.

colinoscapee wrote:
Indices wrote:

Thats half the problem here, no uniform laws.

In my provence they will only issue you with a 2-year TRC, head to Saigon and you can get 3-years.

Thats true across the board here I guess.

You have to apply for a TRC in the province your wife lives.

eric jansen wrote:

You have to apply for a TRC in the province your wife lives.

The point was that not all provences follow the same rule.