Landlords scams?

Hey Everyone!

Me (New Zealander) and my partner (Venezuelan) are moving to Da Nang next week.

We have found a beautiful place but we haven't seen it in person. The landlord wants the one month deposit before moving in and rent on arrival to the place.

Is this a scam? Will I show up to Da Nang with no apartment, lost money, and a landlord no one has heard of?

Not sure if this is a common thing or not.

Thanks,
Jess

Jess the Kiwi wrote:

Hey Everyone!

We have found a beautiful place but we haven't seen it in person. The landlord wants the one month deposit before moving in and rent on arrival to the place.

Is this a scam? Will I show up to Da Nang with no apartment, lost money, and a landlord no one has heard of?

Thanks,
Jess

Even 2 months returnable deposit is common here depending on length of rental.........BUT one word of caution..........a photo does not necessarily tell the true story here regarding apartments or Villas for rent or sale here in Vietnam. So you give him a months deposit, come here & see the place you thought you rented is not exactly what was described & in the photos, what then?? 100% you are screwed. I have lived here a good few years & no way I would give a deposit even a small one without actually seeing the goods!

Jess the Kiwi wrote:

Hey Everyone!

Thanks,
Jess

Don't do it.

Unfortunately you started an online search which has tended to point you toward certain properties which are being shown at their best through unverifiable photos and videos.

A used car salesman would love you.

You've done the one thing that they and landlords want more than anything: You have fallen in love with the product (apartment).

I still believe that the best advice for everyone is to come here first and rent a cheap hotel for 3 to 10 days.

Almost everywhere here is a renter's Market.

Once you arrive, you will hopefully quickly make a Vietnamese friend who will go along with you when you look at properties.

You will hopefully find a neighborhood you like first, then walk or drive around the neighborhood and look for the signs of a rental.

To get an idea for the going rates for rentals in that neighborhood, check it out on Airbnb.

Make sure you plug in at least a one month stay so you can get the discounted rate that some landlords list

Then you can discount further the fact that Airbnb charges the landlord a fee.

If there is a listing on Airbnb that is particularly interesting for long-term, you can use the feature on there to contact the landlord directly

Tell them you might be interested in renting long-term, and arrange to come and see the apartment or house

By dealing with the landlord directly, you should be able to get the best deal, probably a much better deal in comparison to what you are being offered now.

I'm going to guess that one of you is the type who simply can't wrap their minds around this idea of coming here without a confirmed rental.

Just be aware that people are doing this everyday and they are the ones who are getting the best deals on the best places

And there's no rush to move out of the cheap hotel.

Take your time on the ground here and get it right the first time.

Good luck!

You will quickly find that photos are not always accurate and often are of more than one property.

One month deposit is quire good, often its two.
I would check airbnb and see whats on offer, often find longer term rental deals on there are very competitive, and often no deposit (since pay by card - any issues airbnb will resolve)
I looked at dozens of aparmemts, and some where they seem food value turn out to be "plus extra" costs.

This is another added bknus fo airbnb total pri e is all you pay

I would go with a cheapish hotel, then find places from there.

Am no expert on property but one thing I have learned in Vietnam, Never put any money up for anything until you have seen it !

I'll only confirm what everyone else has already said, "No money until you see the honey." Things are not always as they appear.
Another word of advice, don't book a room online (except maybe through airbnb). The prices are jacked-up online. When you get here you'll see most of the hotels have prices posted right on the signs or in the windows, so you know what you'll be paying before you walk through the door... but even those prices are negotiable if you want to swing a deal. It will help a lot if you find a Vietnamese friend to help you. When the landlords (and other dealers) see foreigners their eyes flash neon money signs. I've been here over 4 years and I still send my wife out (or at lease go with her) for any major purchases.

This is all super helpful thank you!

As I suspected and youve all confirmed, just as I was about to make the deposit, he luckily told me that there was a huge construction site across the road going all day every day!

Thanks for the advice.

Jess the Kiwi wrote:

he luckily told me that there was a huge construction site across the road going all day every day!

Surprised he said anything.  Especially to an out-of-towner.

SteinNebraska wrote:
Jess the Kiwi wrote:

he luckily told me that there was a huge construction site across the road going all day every day!

Surprised he said anything.  Especially to an out-of-towner.

A landlord with a conscience, very rare breed indeed.

If it's anything like I have experienced, the construction will also go on into the night. My wife said this happens because the roads are so congested during the day that the large trucks cannot deliver supplies and take away unwanted material, which makes a lot of sense here in HCMC.

Just get a hotel then look around.

Supply > demand you won't have any trouble finding a place.

Even in motels/hotels, it's normal and not uncommon that they will let you check and inspect the room first.

Another view; check out the area at night to see and hear if that environment is acceptable.

Steven

Come on, plan to go on an apartment hunt for a week. keep your gunpowder dry. - Perhaps a bus will take you to the beach (and you can rent for 25%)?

Sending someone money, place unseen. What could go wrong?

Errm, no contract! No refund (I don't know this foreigner, but he deposited money into my bank account for a reason

I totally agree with KruChris. Go to visit the apartment before you handover any money. And sign a contract with the landlord if you are happy at the same time as handing any money over. In Malaysia they pay 2.5 months deposit, so I think 2 months is normal. If you don;t like the apartment when you visit it, then hang out a few days and get an agent to show you around. Actually I would feel safer going through an agent and any apartment that is really nice is sure to be listed with them.

Original post doesn't say they have to pay before seeing it in person - merely the landlord wants one month deposit in advance.
See apartment... Like it.. pay.. simple

You call the shots.   There's a massive surplus of empty property at the moment. 
I know expats that are already being offered discounts to stay.  Others are offering Zero deposits , if they don't agree , just walk away.

Another tip....don't give them your phone No.  Take  a notebook, and get their phone number written down.  Tell them to quote their best offer , take the details of the place , tell them you'll call back ONLY if their offer was successful, AFTER seeing other properties.   They won't see or hear from you otherwise.

That takes their bullshit gabbling out of the equation....they know then & there to put the best deal on the table.

1.  DO NOT pay in advance before you see it.

2.  The hotels in Da Nang are good quality & dirt cheap in price due to the excess supply.  You can get hotels in nice areas for less than $20/night easily in lots of places.  Get a hotel for a week and explore the city before you settle on one place.

3.  DO NOT sign a long term lease!!!!  Sign for the shortest period possible even if you plan on staying there a long time.  In the US, they always go up in price when your lease expires and you have to renew your lease. In vietnam, the big majority do NOT increase rent when you renew the lease.

4.  Most require a 2 month deposit & 1 month advance. If you can get it to 1 month it is even better.

5.  In HCMC it is common for individual landlords to make up an excuse & not return your 2 month deposit. I thought it was just me being an overseas vietnamese but happens to locals as well including several of my local employees. I'm sure it is no different in Da Nang.

Tai Zen wrote:

1.  DO NOT pay in advance before you see it.

2.  The hotels in Da Nang are good quality & dirt cheap in price due to the excess supply.  You can get hotels in nice areas for less than $20/night easily in lots of places.  Get a hotel for a week and explore the city before you settle on one place.

3.  DO NOT sign a long term lease!!!!  Sign for the shortest period possible even if you plan on staying there a long time.  In the US, they always go up in price when your lease expires and you have to renew your lease. In vietnam, the big majority do NOT increase rent when you renew the lease.

4.  Most require a 2 month deposit & 1 month advance. If you can get it to 1 month it is even better.

5.  In HCMC it is common for individual landlords to make up an excuse & not return your 2 month deposit. I thought it was just me being an overseas vietnamese but happens to locals as well including several of my local employees. I'm sure it is no different in Da Nang.

Most landlords dont declare the full rent to the tax dept. Threaten them that you will contact the tax dept and watch how quick your deposit is returned.

Tai Zen wrote:

I've rented four apartments now in HCMC, and the first three gave me my deposit back with no hassle at all.  The first was a small apartment building owned by a middle-aged woman who lived on another floor.  She was very nice to me, even became facebook friends.

The second was another small apartment building in a warren off Nguyễn Trãi, and this was a more professionally managed place, with a name and everything.  They also gave me the deposit back with no hassle.  The third was a high rise in a complex of three, but the apartment was owned by an individual, who gave the two month's deposit back after inspection minus a little for some minor damage I caused.

I am now in an older high rise, in an apartment also owned by an individual.  She has been very responsive to problems and even offered to buy a new washing machine that heated the water when I asked if it would be possible to route the heated water from the kitchen sink to the machine already there.  I told her not to bother because the current machine was in good shape, so why replace it.  My guess is that she will also give me back my deposit. 

Maybe I've been lucky with landlords.

paulmsn wrote:
Tai Zen wrote:

I've rented four apartments now in HCMC, and the first three gave me my deposit back with no hassle at all.  The first was a small apartment building owned by a middle-aged woman who lived on another floor.  She was very nice to me, even became facebook friends.

The second was another small apartment building in a warren off Nguyễn Trãi, and this was a more professionally managed place, with a name and everything.  They also gave me the deposit back with no hassle.  The third was a high rise in a complex of three, but the apartment was owned by an individual, who gave the two month's deposit back after inspection minus a little for some minor damage I caused.

I am now in an older high rise, in an apartment also owned by an individual.  She has been very responsive to problems and even offered to buy a new washing machine that heated the water when I asked if it would be possible to route the heated water from the kitchen sink to the machine already there.  I told her not to bother because the current machine was in good shape, so why replace it.  My guess is that she will also give me back my deposit. 

Looks like you were, plenty of people wernt so lucky. A mate of mine in the countryside just had this very same issue.

paulmsn wrote:

I've rented four apartments now in HCMC, and the first three gave me my deposit back with no hassle at all. 

I don't think you're the only person who has been lucky with landlords; I think there are many good landlords in VN,  it's just that people tend to share only negative circumstances because they attract more attention that way.

I've stayed in two buildings in Saigon, both returned my deposit without hesitation.  At the second one, I asked to break the lease halfway through due to health problem (not caused by the building but by the pollution in Saigon) and the landlord agreed since his properties always had potential tenants on waiting list.

In the apartment building I'm living now in VT, I've seen half a dozen tenants received the deposit back on the day they left, even the ones who broke their leases 4 months early without giving the landlords a justifiable reason.

BTW, all 3 landlords asked for only one month deposit.  In this current building, the landlady often halved the deposit to half of a month's worth to tenants whom she deemed trustworthy.  In one occasion, she even allowed the tenant to pay the deposit a few months after the move-in date.