Hiring in Cape Verde

Greetings! I am looking at setting up a business in Cape Verde to outsource work to. I am going to need to hire a manager and some people I can train with minimal skills required. Possibly a networking person unless someone knows of where I can contract the work of setting up servers and maintaining them.

Does anyone have recommendations of where to look for employees or post job positions once I establish the company?

Thanks!
Sean

Hi Sean,

You'll have to be a whole lot more specific about the type of business/work you'll be outsourcing. It generically sounds like IT but that's very broad. What are the minimal skills and experience needed by these workers? Write a list of the skills. How many workers are needed?

Unfortunately, there is no dedicated place to post job positions. In general, you can simply post on any of the Cape Verde Facebook groups. It's how everyone gets their news here. So you will get a lot of responses (but you will have to do a huge amount of screening because everyone is desparate for jobs and many will mislead you about their actual skills).

There are also number of local companies, micro and sole proprietorships, that can set up and maintain servers. This is where you can start looking for the qualified services AND the staff you need. Also, the universities which have IT departments are another place where you can be directed to past students with the IT skills needed. The universities can also be helpful if you need workers without IT backgrounds. Note that due to the desperate lack of jobs, you will get degreed people taking offers of $200-300 (as most of the unemployed have been sitting at home for months and in many cases, years).

Finally, I presume you know that the local language is Portuguese and Kriolu. Very few people speak English fulently. If you need minimalist English, you will find a few. Or if you need greater fluency in English, then look at the European expat community, which exists in strong numbers in Sal. There are also lots of English-speaking expats from the West African coast, but most are just poor street vendors, though there are a few university grads among them who come to CV looking for entry-level professional jobs.

Cheers,

Angelo

Sean___ wrote:

Greetings! I am looking at setting up a business in Cape Verde to outsource work to. I am going to need to hire a manager and some people I can train with minimal skills required. Possibly a networking person unless someone knows of where I can contract the work of setting up servers and maintaining them.

Does anyone have recommendations of where to look for employees or post job positions once I establish the company?

Thanks!
Sean

Angelo,

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. Do you have any Facebook groups you recommend?

I am aware of the language barrier and am hoping to hire a manager that is bilingual.

I am coming to Santiago and then Sal to scout both locations for an office. Any recommendations of where/how to look for office space?

What do people wear to business meetings? Suits or is it more island casual?

Thank you again for all the help/information!

Sean

Hi Sean,

Here is some feedback on your questions:

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. Do you have any Facebook groups you recommend? Post in ANY group, Search Facebook for "Cape Verde groups". Everyone is in every group, so just post in any group. Furthermore, if you post in one group, Facebook will automatially give you the option to post in all of the other groups. Another "trick" is to post in English and ask for only people who speak English to respond. You will get the biligual folks responding. People who can't speak English will ignore the post as they won't understand it.

I am coming to Santiago and then Sal to scout both locations for an office. Any recommendations of where/how to look for office space? There is no dedicated place where available space is advertized. You have to ask around, or walk around and you will see little "For Rent/Aluguer" signs with phone numbers posted in the windows of vacant spaces (either residential or commercial). Residential space is often used for offices and there are no zoning restrictions that prohibit this (but property managers in Sal won't permit you to use an apartment as a commercial business office).

You will find that residential/office space in Sal is priced about 50-100% higher than in Praia, Santiago. However, in Santiago, I'd suggest you not go looking or calling yourself. Have a trusted local person approach the owner. When locals see a foreigner trying to buy something, they automatically double the price.

What do people wear to business meetings? Suits or is it more island casual? Wear a suit if you are meeting with the Prime Minister or President. Otherwise, business casual.

Good luck. If you need help while you are here or when you are preparing your trip, feel free to send me a private message.

Cheers,

Angelo

Sean___ wrote:

Angelo,

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. Do you have any Facebook groups you recommend?

I am aware of the language barrier and am hoping to hire a manager that is bilingual.

I am coming to Santiago and then Sal to scout both locations for an office. Any recommendations of where/how to look for office space?

What do people wear to business meetings? Suits or is it more island casual?

Thank you again for all the help/information!

Sean

Hello sean,
My name is Leemerh and I'd be moving to sal, Cape Verde soon .I'd like to work with you .
      Thanks