We are considering Albania

Hello,
As  retirement fast approaches we are considering Albania.  Any Americans in this forum? Anyone from the UK? I am interested in getting as much information on you transition, i/e/, location, CoL, healthcare, medications, etc.

I'm neither American nor British but I'm fascinated in Balkans as I've traveled there many times. I haven't been to Albania but know people who were travelling there. It's much different country than ex-Yugoslavia ones. How about healthcare the public one's rather poor, the private one's on rather good level. If you want to chose your perfect place, the best ones can be towns on Ionian coast as Himare ,Ksamil or Sarande. Their advantage is a close proximity to Greece, what can be essential if you need sth which isn't available in Albania.

Hi.I think Durres is the best choice is near Tirana.

I don't think so. I know some people who were in Durres. Most of things I've heard and read are not positive. Sea doesn't look nice and so. I consider Vlore much more beautiful as well Ionian see coast.

We are from America and just moved to Tirane Al. We are retied and on a limited budget. Only been here for a short time and so far love it. Yes the virus has put a damper on things, but still we enjoy this place. Found a place to live and planning on staying here for the year with plans to get a residency permit. With all that said, this is what we enjoy. Each and every person may have a different view of things.

I live in Lushnje,work in Durres.I like it.Is very beatiful.Vlore is great,but is about 2 hours from Tirane.Is going to be an autostrad,and is working,so pollution,traffic,streets like in Albania,is Levan that streat that will make you with headache.

Eh, as I know you can fly to Ionian coast by Corfu.

HI, Are you from Albania

We are from the USA. Moved here the week of the lock down. The airport closed down the week we got here.

brwron8839 wrote:

We are from America and just moved to Tirane Al. We are retied and on a limited budget. Only been here for a short time and so far love it. Yes the virus has put a damper on things, but still we enjoy this place. Found a place to live and planning on staying here for the year with plans to get a residency permit. With all that said, this is what we enjoy. Each and every person may have a different view of things.

Hello to the two of you,

I'm moving to Tirana, this coming weekend. I've set up apartment viewings next week (07 Sept). Basically it sounds I'm from, and have the same plans as you.

I do have a question. I found that the banking in Albania seems to be easy enough. And there are a few banks that are online. BKT, OTP, Tirana Bank. Do you have an opinion/experience that might help me decide?

Thanks much!

Pamie

Hello.
Yes they are online.But you have to see which atm and branch are nere.And which will cost you less.Because if you have euro,usd all the currencies expect All or lek,the bank will get 7 usd for each transfer of money you get,some interests some things,is better if you go there they will explain all.

Hi Marinel97,

Thank you! This helps with knowing that it is not too hard. and that there are many options.