Soda Water.

I posted this on another site but have not had any feed back, perhaps some one here can offer a solution/advice.

"Question to the brains trust.
I use Sodastream (carbonated water) in Oz and it's cheap, 3 to 4 times the price in PH. it seems based on Lazadas prices.
When we lived in Manila we had the same and we purchased the unit and replacement Co2 bottles from Rustans in Makati and at that time 6 or 7 years ago the cost was only a little dearer than Oz.
We are now 5 + hours north of Manila and can't find any suppliers apart from online, any thoughts or wisdom?

Cheers, Steve."

bigpearl :

I posted this on another site but have not had any feed back, perhaps some one here can offer a solution/advice.

I use Sodastream (carbonated water) in Oz and it's cheap, 3 to 4 times the price in PH. it seems based on Lazadas prices.
When we lived in Manila we had the same and we purchased the unit and replacement Co2 bottles from Rustans in Makati and at that time 6 or 7 years ago the cost was only a little dearer than Oz.
We are now 5 + hours north of Manila and can't find any suppliers apart from online, any thoughts or wisdom?

Cheers, Steve."

Which exactly do you need? Are you talking about the CO2 canisters/bottles? If it´s about that, the replacement is expensive. It´s just business by Soda Stream. They do that so that the screw is different and can´t be recharged without their help. You can adopt to use bigger tanks like a 25lb CO2 tank. There are videos on-line how to do it. Amazon.com supplies the things/accessories you need. But you have to find a food grade CO2 (99.9% pure). Industrial is 99% pure. Both contain impurities like hydrocarbons and nitrogen. If there´s Benzene, it can cause severe headache and it´s also carcinogenic. You can ask around bars or restaurants that sell tap beer where they buy their CO2 supply. You can then bring your big tank to be filled up. Way much cheaper and charging a long time to come. Sporting goods, fire extinguisher suppliers, welding shops also can help. Ask for their suppliers.
A 2-liter Coke bottle for beverage storage can even be used.  Carbonated fruit juices can be made and of course sparkling water. Carbonated mango, guava or watermelon juice? Anyone?

robal

Or you can adapt this;

https://gizmodo.com/sodamod-save-money- … ed-5893653

https://www.kegland.com.au/co2-gas-cyli … -full.html

robal

Sorry to side track a little.
Getting decent/cheap drinking "Tubig"...is already a huge problem here at least in my province...can't imagine the stress getting cheap "Soda Tubig"
:(
Thanks

manwonder :

Getting decent/cheap drinking "Tubig"...is already a huge problem here at least in my province...can't imagine the stress getting cheap "Soda Tubig"
Thanks

Drill a well. Then you can have a lot of tubig to carbonate!

robal :
bigpearl :

Cheers, Steve."

Which exactly do you need? Are you talking about the CO2 canisters/bottles? If it´s about that, the replacement is expensive. It´s just business by Soda Stream. They do that so that the screw is different and can´t be recharged without their help. You can adopt to use bigger tanks like a 25lb CO2 tank. There are videos on-line how to do it. Amazon.com supplies the things/accessories you need. But you have to find a food grade CO2 (99.9% pure). Industrial is 99% pure. Both contain impurities like hydrocarbons and nitrogen. If there´s Benzene, it can cause severe headache and it´s also carcinogenic. You can ask around bars or restaurants that sell tap beer where they buy their CO2 supply. You can then bring your big tank to be filled up. Way much cheaper and charging a long time to come. Sporting goods, fire extinguisher suppliers, welding shops also can help. Ask for their suppliers.
A 2-liter Coke bottle for beverage storage can even be used.  Carbonated fruit juices can be made and of course sparkling water. Carbonated mango, guava or watermelon juice? Anyone?

robal

Thanks robal, appreciate your input and that helps heaps, just need to source the CO2 bottle (large) locally, wish us luck there, lol and as you say there are plenty of adaptors on Amazon and Lazada.
The paint ball canisters are interesting but is the CO2 food grade or industrial? Something else to look into.
As for asking around in bars for a supplier of larger bottles (whilst not visiting bars in PH often, have not seen this sort of thing) but I am sure all the Macca's and Jollybee stores know where to get their CO2 supplies, great thoughts and thanks for your input.

Cheers, Steve.

The important thing about the paintball canister is that you can bring them to be filled up at places that have the food grade Co2. If you refil
at sporting places or weld shops, the CO2 would
be industrial which might even have Benzene in it. Would be better to get food grade. Ask at Jollibees. Good luck in finding the larger tank!

robal

manwonder :

Thanks

An interesting side track and hope the moderators don't mind, it is water related after all.
We buy our water and many other products (beer, cigarettes, coke etc from our local refilling station, large sari sari store about 2 kilometres away) the 20 litre containers or are they 25 litres?, that every one, including us seems to use is 25 pesos, we use 3 per week so like AU 2 bucks. Cheap!
I work for a large company in Oz and we purchase 300+ x 15 litre spring water bottles for our water coolers every week, the best price I can get from all suppliers is AU 6 bucks a bottle so 40 cents per litre.
In thePhilippines 1.25 pesos per litre or AU 3.3 cents per litre,,,,, hope my maths is in the ball park.

If you don't have a well for water supply then yes the costs add up. Some 6 years ago we had a deep well, pressure pump and receiver, water pipes and taps installed throughout their house for my Mum and Dad in law as personally I was over hand pumping and carting water from the relatives 3 doors away to have a dipper bath.
Total cost to supply and instal all of the above? Less than 500 Aussie dollars and yes after the first month there was a complaint about the extra cost on the electricity bill, said to the better half tell them to turn off the pump and go back to manual pumping, no complaints since.

Soda water is one of my luxuries for my scotch and that like all other western things can be expensive.
We live in Tammocalao and have a large deep well (below or at the same level as the ocean some 55 metres away, The water is not salty because of the outflow to the ocean from the hills behind us but it is very high in mineral content and the water needs to be tested in a lab to see the impurities and a successful remedy, probably a water softener which are not cheap to purchase and maintain.
In the 3 years that we owned that property,,,,,, slack me never had the water tested, we have been living there almost a year and to date and now would like to know what's in our water. showering, washing clothes, cleaning teeth? We are still alive but get sick of cleaning the scale in the shower rooms and kitchen sink.
Sorry for the waffle all.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi Steve;

Sorry I just saw yr post and in general  our 'Tubig' problems. I have not really got to the point of looking for 'Soda Tubig' which would be nice indeed with my scotch! :D

The "Big Blue" ...thats what i call the 5 Gallons Transparent Plastic Container (approx 19 litres).
In Surigao City it costs me only *10piso/refill; which is the cheapest in our location, and within walking distance fm my home. Ours come fm a 'Main Supplier' which is along Sabang National Highway. (apparantly they also supply their water to various local hotels around surigao city), so I feel I should be ok for now! (fingers crossed!) (Other normal shops charge as much as 20piso/refill) so we are lucky in that sense.
We purchase 6 bottles at a go, using my multicab, which normally lasts for  about 12 days. (3 adults /4kids)
We do not have any large deep well on our land, but instead I made a L -shaped rain water collection area (approx 5m3), made using hollow blocks which were then waterproofed with something they call locally as 'sahara coating'...we use it for general washing or If nothing else it is also used as a dip pool for the kids, and on hot days the adults go in as well.  :D

We too have the ocean some 50 metres away so not too sure if a deep well will be suitable for now.
Need to do more research on this in the near future.

Thanks & Have a great day

manwonder :

Hi Steve;

Sorry I just saw yr post and in general  our 'Tubig' problems. I have not really got to the point of looking for 'Soda Tubig' which would be nice indeed with my scotch! :D

The "Big Blue" ...thats what i call the 5 Gallons Transparent Plastic Container (approx 19 litres).
In Surigao City it costs me only *10piso/refill; which is the cheapest in our location, and within walking distance fm my home. Ours come fm a 'Main Supplier' which is along Sabang National Highway. (apparantly they also supply their water to various local hotels around surigao city), so I feel I should be ok for now! (fingers crossed!) (Other normal shops charge as much as 20piso/refill) so we are lucky in that sense.
We purchase 6 bottles at a go, using my multicab, which normally lasts for  about 12 days. (3 adults /4kids)
We do not have any large deep well on our land, but instead I made a L -shaped rain water collection area (approx 5m3), made using hollow blocks which were then waterproofed with something they call locally as 'sahara coating'...we use it for general washing or If nothing else it is also used as a dip pool for the kids, and on hot days the adults go in as well.  :D

We too have the ocean some 50 metres away so not too sure if a deep well will be suitable for now.
Need to do more research on this in the near future.

Thanks & Have a great day

Well I lied...... I really drink JD with soda water all the time in Oz and when we lived in manila for a year same thing, a short trek to Rustans to swap out sodastream CO2 bottles, not so here in central west Luzon so I resort to JD on ice or even plain water, have even done the local vodka and cr*ppy orange juice one buys in a carton,,,,,, many other things also. Unfortunately I like my JD and soda hence this thread. I'll be back in a couple of weeks and will pursue the offered input from members, grateful for that and thanks to you all.

As for deep wells manwonder? You need to canvas the locals and see what they do. Our freehold title is only 26 or 27 metres from the high tide mark but our well is about 80 metres away and about 6 to 7 metres deep, several metres above the high tide mark, located in the back corner of the lot, well away from the septic system. The Canadian guy we purchased from advised that the water from the well is fed via water making its way down from the hills behind us, from the south.
I taste the water when brushing my teeth and not salty and honestly tastes pretty neutral, we don't drink it but shower, cook, wash the clothes,  car and water the fruit trees and no probs. Just wish Ben would sort out the water tests from our local laboratory,,,,,, I wait and will do it myself when I get back in a couple of weeks but it does appear to me that I will need a water softener to reduce the lime scale buildup on our bathroom tiles etc.
While I know little of your topography all my research leads me to believe what the previous owner told us, he built the house and lived there for 8 years and had no reason to lie and apart from high mineral content works well, pardon the pun.

As said see how the locals do it but may haps your fresh water trough from the roof is the winner.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks for the feedback Steve;

Not too sure if my low-tech above ground 5m3 rain water trough (rain water collected via our 'slanting' /'angled' rain gutters) is the best tech/solution out there  :|
But its cheap and fun, especially for the kids on a hot sunny day  :D

Have plans to place a proper net over the trough, to remove any unwanted leaves/debris that occasionally comes in together with the rain water fm the roof gutters, and also to prevent mosquito breeding in there.

Thanks for your feedback & hope you have a great day.

Regards