Entering the UK before Dec2020

EEA FAMILY PERMIT, I am currently working on a EEA permit to move to the UK by the end of 2020 with my spouse, however there is alot to still be done in SA before leaving for the UK, now I know with Brexit you have to be in the UK before the 31 Dec 2020 as an EU Citizen…

If I am only planning to move in Jan 2021 Feb 2021 would it be possible for me to fly to the UK spend 2 weeks there and apply for pre settlement ? Then come back to South africa and relocate in Jan Feb 2021?

Hi again.

To be honest, I don't know for certain and nobody else does either; from what we currently understand, it should be OK.  My advice would be for you both to move to the UK before 31 December to be absolutely sure of taking advantage of the current situation, then once all the formalities are concluded, there is nothing stopping you going away for a vacation for a couple of weeks after you arrive.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you the plan is to get there before 3q Dec 2020, just looking at worst case scenario..

Is there any law or rule that states you have to reside in the UK for X amount of time or can it be a quick in and out to secure the pre settlement... then in Jan do the complete move?

Basically my Parnter is the EU holder, so would it be worth sending her over to do the pre settlement before 2021 then do the Move in Jan

Hi again.

Your partner is the important link in this chain; she needs to be in the UK and have applied for settled status before 31 Dec 2020; as for the rest of it, I don't know, nobody does, there are currently no laws granting non-UK nationals any rights at all in this respect.  The only thing we do know is that post 31 Dec 2020, the UK immigration system is going to adopt something like the Australian system, so if you miss the boat, it will depend on you having employable skills that the UK deems as being in short supply in the UK.

These are political whims by many politicians in 28 different countries; the only thing we know for certain is that the UK left the EU a week ago and anything else is at the mercy of the ongoing negotiations for a trade deal.  This is what concerns me because they have said that for this deal to be in place by 31 Dec 2020, it will have to be signed off by UK/EU by 31 Oct 2020 in order for the national EU governments to sign off on it., a consequence of which is if there is no trade deal, then the UK will know this on 31 October, which may put you in a very difficult position.

My advice is that if the UK is really where you want to spend the rest of your life, then get on a plane tomorrow, or as soon as humanly possible after that.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you that makes sense, I just wanted to clarify my think around getting into the UK

Thanks again