Please suggest which town will be good for me

Hello guys!

I'm planning to move from Philippines to Vietnam soon but I'm really undecided in which town i should go. Can you help me to decide please? :)

Here is what i looking for:

- Small or not very big town near the beaches
- With good internet, as I working online
- Town where i can easily rent a decent room or apartment for 5 mil. VND.
- Town where I can easily buy and sell scooter, or rent for cheap price.
- Not overcrowded.
- Friendly people, no crime.

Please do not suggest Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi.

Thank you for help!

Cheers,
Edin

Hi Edin,

I am sure members will guide you by sharing their personal experience. Till then, it might be a good idea to read the following thread : Best cities to live in Vietnam

All the best,
Bhavna

Tuy Hoa is a small city, great beach, not too touristy yet. Doc Let beach is a village, has a few beach resorts. Those two places would recommend if you want small and quiet.

Phan Rang beach is good too, the main part of the city is away from the beach. Da Nang is a bigger beach city, very popular with western tourists and expats.
Cam Ranh is on a bay, but there are beaches on the other side like the tiny village at Binh Tien beach.

Only place I would not recommend is Nha Trang. It's a massive party town. Mostly Russian and Chinese tourists. Many places like restaurants have menus in Vietnamese, Russian and Chinese but not English!

- Good internet (FTTH) is available everywhere.
- I don't know about rental prices outside of where i live in Can Tho. 5 mil/month should be ok for apartment.
- Not an expert on scooters but buying a cheap used scooter is not hard
- Vietnam in general is quite friendly to foreigners. As a general rule, smaller and less touristy places are more friendly.

Try Tuy Hoa or Quy Nonh.

eduardo001 wrote:

Hello guys!

I'm planning to move from Philippines to Vietnam soon but I'm really undecided in which town i should go. Can you help me to decide please? :)

- Not overcrowded.

Thank you for help!

Cheers,
Edin

There are a number of cities along the coast in central VN but that is where almost all the tropical storms hit: Đà Nẵng, Hoi An, Quy Nhon, Nha Trang, etc.

Vung Tau is a beach city in southern VN at the tip of a peninsula that rarely gets hit directly and is 2 or 3 hours from Sai Gon by boat, bus or van. It's popular with retirees/pensioners, so there's sort of an old guys bar scene but nothing like Thailand. There are some supermarkets, specialty shops with imported goods, and convenience stores. There are also a number of decent restaurants such as Kozak (Russian), David Pizza (Italian), Luca (Italian), Taj Grill (Indian), Bistro 9 (French), Don Quixote (French?), etc.  There's a surplus of accommodation so rents are low. Unfortunately, they keep building more (too many construction sites).

In addition to the beaches, there are several small mountains. It's pretty cool in some ways but sleepy, boring and seedy in others. I keep thinking about moving but end up staying.

johnross23 wrote:
eduardo001 wrote:

Hello guys!

- Not overcrowded.

Thank you for help!

Cheers,
Edin

There are a number of cities along the coast in central VN but that is where almost all the tropical storms hit: Đà Nẵng, Hoi An, Quy Nhon, Nha Trang, etc.

Vung Tau is a beach city in southern VN at the tip of a peninsula that rarely gets hit directly and is 2 or 3 hours from Sai Gon by boat, bus or van. It's popular with retirees/pensioners, so there's sort of an old guys bar scene but nothing like Thailand. There are some supermarkets, specialty shops with imported goods, and convenience stores. There are also a number of decent restaurants such as Kozak (Russian), David Pizza (Italian), Luca (Italian), Taj Grill (Indian), Bistro 9 (French), Don Quixote (French?), etc.  There's a surplus of accommodation so rents are low. Unfortunately, they keep building more (too many construction sites).

In addition to the beaches, there are several small mountains. It's pretty cool in some ways but sleepy, boring and seedy in others. I keep thinking about moving but end up staying.

Just to clarify, Vung Tau is actually an island, although it does look like a peninsula.