Adopting a pet in Thailand

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Thailand.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Thailand?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Thailand?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Thailand? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Dear Loic:

Thank you for your kind inquiry.  Regretfully I have no information to assist you with your particular questions.

Where I live is a very remote rice farming village and dogs, cats and assorted fowl roam about freely within the village.  None appear to have any sort of collar or other identification, etc.

I suggest you may wish to consult with the Thai government's Royal Thai Embassy in your home nation, or otherwise attempt to ascertain another web site which could aide you in learning about Thai laws pertaining to pets owned / managed by "Foreigners". 

It must be said that the 'rules' for many things are different for Thais, vs. Foreigners; and this is never to be forgotten.  As such, it is excellent you are pursuing this issue prior to executing your apparent goals.

I wish you every success.

Cheers,

Robin

(Snip from the former poster)> by Mike
I suggest you may wish to consult with the Thai government's Royal Thai Embassy in your home nation, or otherwise attempt to ascertain another web site which could aide you in learning about Thai laws pertaining to pets owned / managed by "Foreigners". >(Snip Over)

With all respect, Robin, but why do you think was this question asked here on this forum? Getting in touch with the Thai embassy in your country?

Sorry, but that's totally off.

It's pretty easy to adopt a dog in Thailand or another pet. Of course, would you need the right vaccinations and documents that state that you are the legal owner?

You can get such a document at every veterinarian and it's not that expensive.

BTW< we have two dogs, one of them is a 4-year-old Siberian Husky lady with her daughter that looks a bit different. She got pregnant by a neighbor's dog and we do not have the space to give two dogs the right amount of time.

My wife and I both work full time, so we are seeking for somebody who'd like to have a nice dog. Please send me a message or an e-mail and I'll send you photos of her. She's a great housekeeper and a lovely dog.

Thailand has many projects regarding dogs, there's a so-called Soi Dogs ( little road dogs) Foundation, where you can easily pick up a puppy, or an older dog. But also other animals.

If anybody has a particular question, please feel free to ask here. It does make sense that all people interested can read the posts, which makes it much easier and people do not have to ask the same question over and over again.

If anybody's interested in a nice dog ( our dog, called Naamwharn), a 3-year-old female, mother Siberian Husky, father relatively unknown, please send me a message or an e-mail.

My wife and I would only ask for the refreshment vaccinations before she goes to another family and we want to be sure that she goes into good hands.

Here's the Soi Dog Foundation website: https://www.soidog.org/adopt-a-dog

Kind regards from the lower northeast, Sisaket.

Mike with family

I can mention that you may import any dog or cat to Thailand and there is no quarantine period as long as the local Government Vet in your country certifies the certificate that the Thai Government requires. Go to there website for the regulations
A friend recently brought his two Dachshunds to Thailand from South Africa with the required documents and literally walked out with them at Bkk as part of his baggage
Qatar Airlines has a system where the dog travels with the owner on the plane and I think the fee is 900 USD from anywhere in the world.
I have two Chihuahuas ,two cats,two turtles I rescued at a market, and nine bantam chickens.
The dogs and cats were bought here and have had all their shots and been spayed etc at the local vet.
The property is fenced in a rural area to keep the soi dogs out.
I was recently flying to South  Africa on Qatar and there was a lady on the plane sitting in the center row of seats with her Chihuahua right next to her on the seat and at 02.00 this dog with its shrill voice started to bark and woke the whole plane up.
No person complained and most just laughed.
It is not difficult if you follow the procedures to bring dogs and cats to Thailand.
I live in Prachin Buri province in a small rural town on a small farm of 6 Rai.
Barry

Great resource for pet adoptions in Thailand - soidog.org in Phuket

Hi Loic

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Thailand?

no there aren't any rules, however most airlines do not allow short nosed dogs on flights, so that's something to consider when adopting as you should want to take your pet home with you

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Thailand?

Depends on who you adopt from, most of the rescue groups ask for a donation or for costs of the dogs shots.

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

No, it depends on the rescue group

Are pet-sitting options available?

loads of pet hotels available in thailand

Have you ever adopted a pet in Thailand? Is he or she still with you today?

yes, she's still with me.