Adopting a pet in the Philippines

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in the Philippines.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in the Philippines?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in the Philippines?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in the Philippines? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

There is an animal rescue service in Dumaguete. They must pre-approve you and get the permission of the property owner if you are a renter. The cost is you must follow thru with vaccinations for the life of the animal. They have mostly dogs that have been abused/abandoned and could possibly be mutilated or have permanent disabilities. Not all tho.

Great post,

Lot's of animal's to be helped in the Philipipne's of course also lots of people that all so need help.

I and my wife will be getting 2 dogs next year.  (2 dog's are better for the dog's health than one)

We are budgeting 700 php a week per dog, that is food, vaccination's and registration.  Just wondering what people think of that Budget?

I know that many Filipino's keep dog's and just feed them scraps of food.  We want to feed the dog good food and keep it in a healthy state.

How much do you spend per week / PA to keep your dog?

To see nice dogs in the Philippines the best place to go are the dog shows that usually accompany large city Fiestas. We admired a wonderful Rottweiler in San Pablo and I couldn't stop stroking it, soft temperament and beautiful stature. The owner bought it from  a breeder in Bicol and offered me a pup when he breeds her next year.  You don't have to go far to find a cat or dog that needs a new home. My wife went shopping and returned with a puppy that we call "Bunty",...she has just given birth to 3 gorgeous pups which was a surprise??? We never saw the mating and from the results we haven't the faintest idea. Strangely enough the white one is bigger than  the other 2 which have  legs  with the rear ones bowed like Toby jugs?  The habit of Filipinos is to cage their Dogs even a lady vet in town has 2 large dogs in a cage by her shop front and has no contience  about it. Each day they will turn a cold water hose onto them.
Most dog owners have obtained dogs by word of mouth.

Peter Clark wrote:

To see nice dogs in the Philippines the best place to go are the dog shows that usually accompany large city Fiestas. We admired a wonderful Rottweiler in San Pablo and I couldn't stop stroking it, soft temperament and beautiful stature. The owner bought it from  a breeder in Bicol and offered me a pup when he breeds her next year.  You don't have to go far to find a cat or dog that needs a new home. My wife went shopping and returned with a puppy that we call "Bunty",...she has just given birth to 3 gorgeous pups which was a surprise??? We never saw the mating and from the results we haven't the faintest idea. Strangely enough the white one is bigger than  the other 2 which have  legs  with the rear ones bowed like Toby jugs?  The habit of Filipinos is to cage their Dogs even a lady vet in town has 2 large dogs in a cage by her shop front and has no contience  about it. Each day they will turn a cold water hose onto them.
Most dog owners have obtained dogs by word of mouth.

I have been told that a female can mate with more than 1 mate during the period of ovulation. Hence, pups don't always look alike in the same litter.

Munchie wrote:

I have been told that a female can mate with more than 1 mate during the period of ovulation. Hence, pups don't always look alike in the same litter.

True for dogs in general I think.

Agreed; and its called
"heteropaternal superfecundation"

I have 3 dogs Askal they adopted me they only bark if a person or another dog comes, they will bite

I saw someone walking two dogs that looked more like wolves than huskies. They were not malamute either. I believe that they might have been wolf husky hybrids. It was in a mountainous area of the province.

I had a husky and they shed constantly and must be brushed daily. Fur was always everywhere. They are smart too and escape artists.

Would be nice to have one, but they are high maintenance.

don't ever want another pet though because I get too attached to them

the stray cat we took in just about killed me when he died

Dogs are a good investment, especially if your barangay is too quiet.  If it doesn't work out there is always aso adobo.

Philippine Destiny wrote:

I hear you. Had three Labs over the years and it killed me every time I had to put one down. Plus I have some allergies to the hair and travel a lot so no more dogs for me at this time in my life. But such fond memories. Nothing like the loyalty and love of a dog.

pnwcyclist wrote:

I hear you. Had three Labs over the years and it killed me every time I had to put one down. Plus I have some allergies to the hair and travel a lot so no more dogs for me at this time in my life. But such fond memories. Nothing like the loyalty and love of a dog.

You will hate this story.

I was dog sitting a friend's lab back in the US.

The very first day she got away from me and ran into the street.

Imagine having to explain that.

Oh no..

RE PET ADOPTION.

Hi, fee is very minimal . Background check .
You may try to contact PAWSION PROJECT.

VS Sarasola wrote:

RE PET ADOPTION.

Hi, fee is very minimal . Background check .
You may try to contact PAWSION PROJECT.

background check for a pet adoption?  :/

Any thought about cats? I was used to living with a cat until I started traveling a lot and my friend was no longer able to care for my cat. Now that I have settled down in Angeles City, I want to find a cat. Typically, I've taken older cats from a rescue place, and yes, it's painful when they go. But it's a pleasure to have them around while they are alive, and the pain is ameliorated by getting another. Not raising them from kittens probably reduces the bond, too.

But I'm not sure how to find one here. Anyone know if Manila has anything like a rescue place--Dumaguete is a bit far? I've thought about going to a cat show, maybe I can pick one up that's past its breeding prime? Any thoughts on that?

I'll put requests on my local expat boards--any suggestions beyond that?

bizwizard wrote:

Any thought about cats? I was used to living with a cat until I started traveling a lot and my friend was no longer able to care for my cat. Now that I have settled down in Angeles City, I want to find a cat. Typically, I've taken older cats from a rescue place, and yes, it's painful when they go. But it's a pleasure to have them around while they are alive, and the pain is ameliorated by getting another. Not raising them from kittens probably reduces the bond, too.

But I'm not sure how to find one here. Anyone know if Manila has anything like a rescue place--Dumaguete is a bit far? I've thought about going to a cat show, maybe I can pick one up that's past its breeding prime? Any thoughts on that?

Maybe you can ask around the place where you live if anyone has kittens. Here in our place everyone has cats coming out of their ears. The cats wander around and pick who they want to adopt.

bizwizard wrote:

Maybe you can ask around the place where you live if anyone has kittens. Here in our place everyone has cats coming out of their ears. The cats wander around and pick who they want to adopt.

You've Got to Be Kitten Me!

:D

No kitten. I mean literally.  :D I want an older cat, prefer that to raising a kitten at my point in life.

The many cats wandering around here are pretty wary, I can't get close to them (and I try).

This is my mother in laws cat & he is my favorite one right now

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ddOUIDP-BD8/ … 0/ming.jpg

He looks mean, but he is not at all.

This kitten recently  just showed up and decided he wanted to live with them too

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IdMPro470RI/ … smokey.jpg

The white cat is male, but he has volunteered to be mamma to the kitten

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iwHyQS92cp4/ … G_0119.JPG