Adopting a pet in Mauritius

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Mauritius.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Mauritius?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Mauritius?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Mauritius? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Hi Loic,

We have 3 dogs - 2 of whom we found and the third is our 10 year old we brought with us.  Importing a dog obviously has rules and regulations but it was straightforward and we had to register him at a place in Rose Hill (I can't remember the name).  We found our second dog dumped outside Espace Maison.  She had a broken foot and had been there a couple of days.  Despite her pain she was so friendly so we took her to the vet for treatment and she has been with us ever since (her foot is as good as new).  The vet made her pet passport and did the vaccinations - she is the most amazingly sweet dog and how anyone could have dumped her I don't know.  The third was a very young puppy my husband brought home after he nearly got squashed by a bus.  Locals said he had been on his own for 3 days.  Again we took him to the pets for his passport and vaccinations.  He is clearly a street dog, (always after food!) and a bit mad, but very loving!!

I believe there are rescue organisations who will have dogs available for adoption - maybe someone will know where to go. There seem to be so many unwanted dogs in Mauritius. Very sad.  Please adopt don't buy.

Kennels are expensive, particularly with 3 dogs.  We have used kennels but now when we travel, we pay our maid extra to come in to feed the dogs, play with them and walk them.  Vet bills are ok-ish.

I don't know your situation but a big consideration is the cost of moving pets internationally if you are temporarily in Mauritius.  We brought our dog from the Middle East as excess baggage which wasn't too bad, but if you are going to a country that only accepts dogs as cargo the bill will be huge!!

Hello
As a pet owner, i think the following goes without saying but for some expats in Mauritius, it does not register.  Mauritius is a warm country so pets can live outdoors in their own homes.  That's the easiest.  Pets' homes can be purchased ready made and you can make them even more comfortable with blankets and toys.  That does not mean that the dogs cannot visit you inside the house and it does not prevent owners to love their animals while they live outdoor.   In fact, my husband and kids would prefer to live outdoors given the sun is there.
Having said that, if you decide to keep your dogs or cats inside the house, please check your lease.  After that, i suggest you bring into your home facilities for your animals.  A pet kept indoors need a toilet facilitiies or you train it to use a human toilet.  The house needs to be prepared so you do not ruin your landlord's property.    My cats also live in the house so I made a special cover for all the sofas with specific scratch-proof material  in order to prevent my cats from scratching the sofas.  I also provided the cats with a large tree and a few separate scratching boards in specific places.  And internal and external toilets in a few places!
I know of this expat who kept his dogs indoors with NO internal facilities and ruined the landlord's house completely.  The dogs peed against the walls in each and every room, ruined the sofa and stairs by scratching it to shreds and by peeing over each and every sofa and cushion in the house.    What do you think will happen if no facilities are provided inside the house for them and when dogs are left alone in a locked house with no facilities, when you leave for holidays?  Given the smell and the state of the house did not bother this person at all but as a tenant, it should not surprise you that you have violated the terms of your lease and therefore it becomes very expensive when you exit the house  because you need to return the house in the same state that it was rented out to you. 
The smell is not exactly friendly to everybody.  Imagine the shock when you visit such a house with an estate agent and all you want to do is puke when you get this whiff as you stand In the entrance hall?   And the cushions and sofas are all dripping with pee! 
Hence i say, expats are friends but also expats' enemy.  New rules and new regulations and new clauses are only added because of such craziness and insane behaviour.  Consequently other expats are penalised.  How can a landlord therefore be criticised for being pet unfriendly?   As a cat owner, i prepared my home well before i acquired cats to give them a good loving home and so I do not annoy anyone.