How Worried Are You Coronavirus?

I've just wasted a while reading up a few articles in eminent journals that consider the subject.
The words that stood out were, "uncertain, perhaps, maybe, if", and a few other similar guess type words, that meaning the experts are also clueless.
The range is from "PANIC, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE", to, Errm, maybe some people will die but we don't know how many, and the virus doesn't like heat and humidity.

In other words, the stress from worry is likely to be more harmful than the virus for most.

I can see how much the Coronavirus does damage so far in Businesswise, and I am too worried about Tokyo Olimpic in this year, according to Chinese authority estimate it will take at least five months everything back to normal.

Going round and round in circles. :(

More than 1000 people died and it is not finished yet ... i think that the Olympic games are secondary and are not an absolute necessity, the priority is to save lives not more ...

VIETNAM DEVELOPS FAST TEST KIT

H NỘI — Scientists from the School of Biotechnology and Food Technology under H Nội University of Science and Technology have developed a novel coronavirus (nCoV) test kit which provides results in 70 minutes instead of four hours like the current method.

The group, with more than ten members and led by Dr L Quang Ha, in collaboration with Innogenex International Technology Science Ltd Company, made the test kit using a Reverse Transcription Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (RT-LAMP) technique.

The innovation which amplifies the ribonucleic acid (RNA) of pathogens to identify the virus has made Việt Nam the first country to successfully develop RT-LAMP test kits for nCoV.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET THE VIRUS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKyPWNZd76k

Sir.  When you say

Indices :

No point responding further, said enough already. Have a good day.

you have to resist the temptation to pop back in two hours later.   :cool:  :joking:  :cheers:

I am all for everyone marking their words and coming back in 30 days or so and we can see who gets to say "I told you so."  Not a single word any of us has said, with the notable exception of admonitions to wash your hands frequently, will have any impact on what happens.

Fred :

and the virus doesn't like heat and humidity.

Interesting fact borne out by this article (not a scientific journal but still rather informative.) https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/worl … -bali.html  Perhaps the equatorial heat is why the virus has not surfaced in Indonesia.  You are safe, Fred.   :cheers:

Jim-Minh :

VIETNAM DEVELOPS FAST TEST KIT

HÀ NỘI — Scientists from the School of Biotechnology and Food Technology under Hà Nội University of Science and Technology have developed a novel coronavirus (nCoV) test kit which provides results in 70 minutes instead of four hours like the current method.

And who says Vietnam lacks good doctors?   :top:  We all know Vietnam has its problems but the potential of the country and its people is enormous.

THIGV :

Sir.  When you say

Indices :

you have to resist the temptation to pop back in two hours later.   :cool:  :joking:  :cheers:

I am all for everyone marking their words and coming back in 30 days or so and we can see who gets to say "I told you so."  Not a single word any of us has said, with the notable exception of admonitions to wash your hands frequently, will have any impact on what happens.

So why comment then ?
My response was not to you or whoever atom is as there is no point.
I assume I do not need your permission to comment on other posts ?

Indices :

So why comment then ?

Lighten up a little.

I was just making what I saw or at least intended as a friendly observation that you said your were done.  Apparently you are not.

THIGV :

We all know Vietnam has its problems but the potential of the country and its people is enormous.

What struck me from day #1 here is: these are most industrious buggers I've ever met.

When it suits them, of course, but that's their prerogative.

OceanBeach92107

Forgive my possible stupidity as I have no medical training to your standard but I have a question. A good contact of mine who works in a research lab has said they use a trick when handling viruses. They put a few drops of antiseptic mouthwash in the mask and they work much better. He admits he is not sure exactly why in terms of perhaps it is the addition off a moist barrier or the antiseptic itself, but either way it seems to act as an extra barrier. Your opinion would be appreciated.

THIGV :
Indices :

So why comment then ?

Lighten up a little.

I was just making what I saw or at least intended as a friendly observation that you said your were done.  Apparently you are not.

"You're a very nosey fellow, Kitty Cat, huh?"

Chinatown

🤣🤣🤣

Indices :

OceanBeach92107

Forgive my possible stupidity as I have no medical training to your standard but I have a question. A good contact of mine who works in a research lab has said they use a trick when handling viruses. They put a few drops of antiseptic mouthwash in the mask and they work much better. He admits he is not sure exactly why in terms of perhaps it is the addition off a moist barrier or the antiseptic itself, but either way it seems to act as an extra barrier. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Best I can offer is a SWAG:

ALL masks begin to get moist from the moment they are first worn on the face.

As we exhale, moisture from our breath begins to insidiously saturate the mask.

It's a well-established fact (disputed by at least one ignorant poster in this forum) that the moist mask becomes a petri dish of sorts for many microorganisms, with some germs multiplying very efficiently in such an environment.

I'm guessing that pre-saturating the mask with an antiseptic solution might have some level of germicidal benefit, both in inhibiting the inhaled virus as well as fighting the proliferation of advantageous fungi and bacteria.

With any viral respiratory infection, it's often an advantageous bacterium or fungus which causes the worst complications in infected individuals.

Treat a mask in a manner similar to that used by soldiers and hikers for treating their socks:

Always keep at least one additional dry, clean mask and rotate the use of each at least a few times a day.

In less than optimal circumstances, If the mask is washable, clean it by hand once a day and allow it to dry completely (preferably in direct sunlight) before using it again.

Of course, if you have an unlimited supply of fresh, clean masks, dispose of one when it becomes moist from your breath and replace it with a new, clean and dry mask.

Then wash your hands and buy stock in 3M corporation...

OceanBeach92107 :
Indices :

OceanBeach92107

Best I can offer is a SWAG:

ALL masks begin to get moist from the moment they are first worn on the face.

As we exhale, moisture from our breath begins to insidiously saturate the mask.

It's a well-established fact (disputed by at least one ignorant poster in this forum) that the moist mask becomes a petri dish of sorts for many microorganisms, with some germs multiplying very efficiently in such an environment.

I'm guessing that pre-saturating the mask with an antiseptic solution might have some level of germicidal benefit, both in inhibiting the inhaled virus as well as fighting the proliferation of advantageous fungi and bacteria.

With any viral respiratory infection, it's often an advantageous bacterium or fungus which causes the worst complications in infected individuals.

Treat a mask in a manner similar to that used by soldiers and hikers for treating their socks:

Always keep at least one additional dry, clean mask and rotate the use of each at least a few times a day.

In less than optimal circumstances, If the mask is washable, clean it by hand once a day and allow it to dry completely (preferably in direct sunlight) before using it again.

Of course, if you have an unlimited supply of fresh, clean masks, dispose of one when it becomes moist from your breath and replace it with a new, clean and dry mask.

Then wash your hands and buy stock in 3M corporation...

Thanks for that, appreciated.

Indices :
atomheart :
Indices :

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj2qvTXrMvnAhXbad4KHfzfCTYQFjAAegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldometers.info%2Fcoronavirus%2Fcoronavirus-cases%2F&usg=AOvVaw3fr6kURciGF0n9ioRqLcWJ

Ok, the total new cases per day (driven by China) seems to be declining. Let's trust the official chinese numbers for now. See the "Daily New Casses Outside of China"...

Also see the "Serious or Critical" percentage of "currently infected", which is very close to "deaths" of "cases with outcome".

Daily new cases worldwide

I'm starting to feel sorry for you and your and that expert of yours.  :lol:

There were almost 15k new cases and 242 deaths yesterday.

>This is the people here dismissing the dangers of the virus.

atomheart :

The increase in the number of cases is reportedly almost entirely due to a better diagnostic test that just came out (maybe the Vietnamese one) but of course deaths can be counted fairly accurately.

THIGV :
atomheart :

The increase in the number of cases is reportedly almost entirely due to a better diagnostic test that just came out (maybe the Vietnamese one) but of course deaths can be counted fairly accurately.

Well said and all of those deaths relate to people already infected. Death rate is sad but has no real impact on new infection rate which is still slowing, albeit gradually.

Indices :
THIGV :
atomheart :

Well said and all of those deaths relate to people already infected. Death rate is sad but has no real impact on new infection rate which is still slowing, albeit gradually.

All we know about the infection rate is the official numbers they publish. And they just published 15k more cases, which pretty much invalidates and previous decreasing tendency. The new 15k cases were people "already infected" just like previously published daily numbers, those were also people "already infected". It's not like they start screening everybody, regardless of symptoms.

Villages in Vietnam with 10,000 people close to the nation's capital were placed under quarantine on Thursday after six cases of the deadly new coronavirus were discovered there, authorities said.

Thanks for all your replies. I just knew it was an interesting topic. Lets keep the discussion going . Just wait for next week when the schools reopen . Explosion of this outbreak inevitable . Vietnamese kids have zero understanding of disease hygiene - watch them sneezing coughing in each others faces spreading the virus all around.

Thepakkizeggypharts :

Thanks for all your replies. I just knew it was an interesting topic. Lets keep the discussion going . Just wait for next week when the schools reopen . Explosion of this outbreak inevitable . Vietnamese kids have zero understanding of disease hygiene - watch them sneezing coughing in each others faces spreading the virus all around.

I agree with the hygiene bit & not only for children! , but I bet the schools don't re open next week.  According to my wife there is a big ho ha from the parents to keep the schools closed! :o

It's truth...parents are reluctant!!

A mass roundup in central China is expanded.

"In the rush to carry out the edict, officials in Wuhan are haphazardly rounding up sick patients, in some cases separating them from their families and placing them in makeshift medical facilities, sometimes without providing the medicine or support they need.

Deng Chao, 30, has been in a government-imposed quarantine in a Wuhan hotel room for nearly a week. In a telephone interview, he said that although doctors had told him he almost certainly had the coronavirus, he hadn’t yet received the official results from the test that he needed to be admitted for proper treatment at a hospital. Mass

In the meantime, he was getting progressively sicker and finding it more  difficult to breathe. He said that several security guards had been stationed at the entrance to his hotel to prevent patients from escaping and that there were no doctors or medicine available.

“This is really like a prison,” Deng Chao, 30, said angrily by telephone.

“Send me to a hospital, please, I need treatment,“ he said, in between bouts of coughing. “There is no one to take care of us here.”"

Looks like they're unable to provide medical assistance to any more infectees, that won't help the mortality rate... Whatever, just isolate the sick before they can infect others, leave the rest to God.  :top:

My wife made it home yesterday morning with a bunch of Tet presents. She had a three-hour delay while all the passengers on her plane were interrogated as to where in Asia they had been. The presents were Phu Quoc fish sauce, Phu Quoc pink peppercorns, cracker sandwiches with salted duck egg filling, marvelous ground, and instant coffees, a little ceramic coffee appliance, Japanese chocolates, and a bunch of dried salted scallops wrapped up like so many candies. We have yet to see if she brought me a virus. I seriously doubt the latter.
It appears the virus has crossed the Viet northern border. I fully expect truthful reporting from the Vietnamese. It appears the political fickle finger of fate has descended upon the mayor of one of the infected cities of China as the death toll from COVN-19 jumped spectacularly with a truth-in-reporting directive. I suspect we will see the true or truer statistics of the virus as political punishment is meted out.
A female Chinese GP in California is reporting the content of communications with her counterparts in China. Her YT's channel's name is Hu Knows. She and her husband's channels are worth following as they both have deep roots in Chinese medicine.

Jim-Minh :

... cracker sandwiches with salted duck egg filling,......

This is very surprising as I am pretty sure that anything with eggs is prohibited for importation to the US even if cooked.   When my wife first immigrated, (we travelled together) she brought some moon cakes that she had custom made so as to not have the salted egg yolk centers they commonly do.  She was still interrogated (mildly) about them until she offered to cut one in half, whereupon they let her go.  I think the problem is not human health but diseases of birds that would affect the domestic poultry industry.

Jim-Minh :

female Chinese GP in California is reporting the content of communications with her counterparts in China. Her YT's channel's name is Hu Knows. She and her husband's channels are worth following as they both have deep roots in Chinese medicine.

Sounds interesting.  I will be looking them up.

By The Way, COVID-19 is the politically-correct name of the Wuhan virus. You give me any reason it shouldn't be called the Wuhan virus, given the filthy environment of the Wuhan wet markets, and I will reconsider.

BTW

Hu Knows - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXFUJB … uBcDu-byFw

Serpentza - https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza

The police in Ayun Pa came to my hotel room last night around 10pm, ostensibly to check on Coronavirus. They only asked where I had been in VN, how long I had been in the country, and what route I traveled to get here. Just basic questions, no temperature taken  I think they really just wanted to meet the foreigner that wandered into town 🙂.

It is "cover your ass" big time now that Chinese officials are being axed for allowing this situation to develop.
They are damned if they don't, now.
A precedent has been set in China of punishing those that favored the status quo and favoring those that promote the proper attitude. (those with a crystal ball)

Now we get a grandstand seat to see how communism really works.

Jim-Minh :

It can be quite impressive when everyone works together on a common goal!

Jim-Minh :

I certainly consider myself fortunate that I do not have to live in a communist country.  Like most of us, I can enter or leave Vietnam at will.  However, I suspect that a government like China's can be a lot more efficient in things like enforcing curfews and non voluntary quarantines.  The US is quarantining a very few individuals returning from China but can you imagine the hoot and holler if the US Federal government tried to quarantine an entire city?  A certain type of American would probably almost immediately turn to armed resistance.  No, sad to say a totalitarian government may be better equipped to handle things like this once they manage to get over the transparency problem, which is exactly what seems to be happening in China right now.

Regional director of WHO preparing the public for an outbreak in the media controlled by the party where censorship is usually severe. Sh*t is about to hit the fan. We've been warned.
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/perspectiv … 54041.html

Mike Wagner :

Regional director of WHO preparing the public for an outbreak in the media controlled by the party where censorship is usually severe. Sh*t is about to hit the fan. We've been warned.
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/perspectiv … 54041.html

This is the sanest evaluation of the threat and description of practical solutions short of massive quarantine.  What caught my eye was this:  "And please, don't circulate rumors and misinformation online and to your friends and family." Yet you still say "Sh*t is about to hit the fan."  Which is it?

It is nice to see that Vietnam learned a lesson from the China experience and may be planning for more transparency.

THIGV :

However, I suspect that a government like China's can be a lot more efficient in things like enforcing curfews and non voluntary quarantines.  The US is quarantining a very few individuals returning from China but can you imagine the hoot and holler if the US Federal government tried to quarantine an entire city?  A certain type of American would probably almost immediately turn to armed resistance.  No, sad to say a totalitarian government may be better equipped to handle things like this once they manage to get over the transparency problem, which is exactly what seems to be happening in China right now.

Absolutely, even after running out of medical capacity, they can just quarantine the sick, let them die, shoot whoever resists, sacrifice them all to protect the rest. And I bet the viets would do the same if there was an outbreak. Imagine this kind of "efficiency" applied in EU or US... :unsure It's a pity that they get "efficient" only when it's too big to sweep it under the rug...

Btw there were 5k new cases...

I hesitate to add to the panic but, a rather odd development is that an elderly Japanese man, who has not been to China, came down with the Covid-19 virus after returning to Japan from Hawaii.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/02/ … -vacation/

Although none of the China travellers placed in quarantine in Hawaii have come down with the disease, I am wondering if the virus may already be circulating at a low level here, particularly among children who reportedly may be asymptomatic.  On the other hand this episode may be an indicator that the virus is not as transmissible as some think it is.  The greatest danger is clearly to the elderly, self included  :( , and not so much to the general public.

THIGV :

I hesitate to add to the panic but, a rather odd development is that an elderly Japanese man, who has not been to China, came down with the Covid-19 virus after returning to Japan from Hawaii.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/02/ … -vacation/

Although none of the China travellers placed in quarantine in Hawaii have come down with the disease, I am wondering if the virus may already be circulating at a low level here, particularly among children who reportedly may be asymptomatic.  On the other hand this episode may be an indicator that the virus is not as transmissible as some think it is.  The greatest danger is clearly to the elderly, self included  :( , and not so much to the general public.

If none of the passengers on his flight came down with the disease, could it be that the virus was already in his system before his 10 day stay in HI?

Ciambella :

If none of the passengers on his flight came down with the disease, could it be that the virus was already in his system before his 10 day stay in HI?

Good point.  If the incubation is 14 days, he could have caught the virus in Japan in his last 4 days in Japan before traveling.  Still it seems like an odd case.  The local paper promised follow-up but nothing yet.

THIGV :
Ciambella :

Good point.  If the incubation is 14 days, he could have caught the virus in Japan in his last 4 days in Japan before traveling.  Still it seems like an odd case.  The local paper promised follow-up but nothing yet.

Both airplanes and airports are suspect.

Also, can you imagine the economic impact when airline employees start testing positive?

Or maybe they have already, but the news is being muted.

Remember what happened after 9-11?

ALL airlines in the US were grounded within 24 hours.

I wonder which country will be the first to decide to ground all commercial aircraft?

I've been trying very hard in this discussion not to fear monger, but I'm starting to think it could be possible that there would be a worldwide grounding of aircraft.

What an economic nightmare that would be