How Worried Are You Coronavirus?

Im considering returning to Holland where the health systrm and society id better equiped to deal with epidemic. How long before uk advised expats in vnn to return home ?

I'm just being cautious but I had a tripped planned and paid for in mid March and cancelled everything last week. I can always go there after things have calmed down but it's probably different if I was living there.

What you mean? Your not livong in vietnam ?

Not at all. Ten confirmed cases (out of approx. 97.5 million people), three recoveries and zero deaths in Vietnam.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 50170.html

By Tuesday afternoon, Vietnam have discharged three of the nCoV patients from hospital: the Nha Trang hotel staff, the Chinese son, and one of the workers coming back from Wuhan.

Vietnam's government declared the novel coronavirus an epidemic on Saturday. The country has reported 304 suspected cases with symptoms like high fever and coughing, including some people who had visited infected areas in China, as of Monday. Of them, 214 have tested negative for the virus and 90 are in quarantine pending test results.

My worry level is truly zero.  I travel around the city all day each day visiting suppliers and it doesn't concern me even a little bit.  My wife, who gets all of her "news" from Facebook is 100% sure that I am going to die.  So we cover both ends of the spectrum.  I suspect the truth is between us somewhere.

I guess I'm taking qnbui's place.  My friend and his wife are arriving from the US March 22 - April 4.  We are going to HCMC, Vung Tau, Con Dao Island, Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Hue , Da Nang and Hoi An.  All of us are going to surely die after that trip.

Cambodia’s Hun Sen made a statement yesterday saying he would “ kick anyone out of the country seen wearing a mask” 

He said you all look stupid & are scaring people away..

Personally,,,I’m wearing one of those heavy brass diving bells.

Ontheroad57 :

Cambodia’s Hun Sen made a statement yesterday saying he would “ kick anyone out of the country seen wearing a mask” 

Even if it were true I would totally support him.  He did say if any government official or reporter was wearing a mask he would kick them out.

Cambodia’s leader urged people Thursday to remain calm about the new virus from China while threatening to kick out reporters or officials seen wearing a face mask.

Prime Minister Hun Sen said in a live televised address that people should not be scared because the real illness they faced was fear, based on inaccurate information on social media.

“The prime minister does not wear a mask, so why should you be wearing a mask here,” he said.

Hun Sen, who very actively posts on Facebook, was critical about misinformation about the virus on the social media site.

He said the scarier illness was the irresponsible sharing of stories online that caused people without understanding of the virus to panic. Hun Sen appeared to be referring to unverified social media reports about sicknesses and deaths from the virus in Cambodia.

The Southeast Asian country has reported one confirmed case, a Chinese man who traveled from the city hardest-hit by the outbreak.

Hun Sen also announced he would not ban direct flights between Cambodia and China, saying that would disturb relations between them and hurt the economy of the country, which hosts many Chinese investors and tourists. People should not discriminate against the Chinese, he said.

China’s own efforts to curb travel were an effective measure against the disease, Hun Sen said. Several foreign airlines have cut or stopped flights to China on their own initiative.

Beijing is the main foreign supporter of Hun Sen’s authoritarian government, supplying major amounts of aid and investment. Cambodia in turn supports China’s position on issues such as the South China Sea, where Beijing’s territorial claims overlap with other governments.

Hun Sen turned to a traditional saying to make the point that none of his countrymen have been reported to have caught the illness.

“Why would we need to be afraid of tiger’s dung since we are not scared of the tiger?” he said. “There is no one who died, and not a single Cambodian contracting the virus, it happened only to a Chinese man.”

The man, who had traveled to Cambodia from Wuhan, was now almost recovered, Hun Sen said.

He’s a funny guy...
I like the bit about the Tigers dung.

Ontheroad57 :

He’s a funny guy...

I never even knew his name before your post but after reading that one article I'd like to have a beer with him.

SteinNebraska :
Ontheroad57 :

He’s a funny guy...

I never even knew his name before your post but after reading that one article I'd like to have a beer with him.

Do some history on him.   
You may change your mind.    A very sneaky & nasty individual.

The circumstances leading to his “job” appointment in Cambodia is interesting from a Vietnamese point of view as well.

Hun Sen is endangering us all because of his GREED. Vietnam should close the border with Cambodia if they are receiving flights ftom China. Idiot guy.

Ontheroad57 :

Can you please post a pic of you in your diving bell whilst shopping at COOP mart,lol.

Thepakkizeggypharts.

Return to Holland because or worries about the virus ?
Last year in the Netherlands there were 155,000 health related deaths of which 47,000 died from Cancer alone, amounting to 30% of fatalities. Another 25% of total deaths were caused by Heart related issues.
And you worry about the Coronavirus ?

colinoscapee :
Ontheroad57 :

Can you please post a pic of you in your diving bell whilst shopping at COOP mart,lol.

Might have to shop at Coop mart now,,......would you believe I can’t show my face at Big C anymore .

I spat the dummy.  I was in a line at the checkout & a lady from a restaurant in front of me bought about 6 boxes of condensed milk.    Would you believe the check out girl opened the boxes to check the contents were right ( which they do) ,,,,THEN proceeded to scan every f#xkin can individually.  There’s 24 in every box....do the maths.

I counted to ten , took a couple of deep breaths & the rest is unprintable.

Ontheroad57 :
colinoscapee :
Ontheroad57 :

Might have to shop at Coop mart now,,......would you believe I can’t show my face at Big C anymore .

I spat the dummy.  I was in a line at the checkout & a lady from a restaurant in front of me bought about 6 boxes of condensed milk.    Would you believe the check out girl opened the boxes to check the contents were right ( which they do) ,,,,THEN proceeded to scan every f#xkin can individually.  There’s 24 in every box....do the maths.

I counted to ten , took a couple of deep breaths & the rest is unprintable.

She definitely was thinking outside the box....was the best way to go.

Cancer is not contagious. I hear what your saying re the numbers. But these figures have the potential to explode in the small narrow back alleys of vietnam that virus could spread like wildfire ...as it has alrrady a few kms north . many expats dont have health insurance to pay for lenghthy hospital stays .

Ontheroad . . ..  .

I one to Vietpostm to send 30 boxes of coffee pouches to my daughter in Scotland, each containing 50 portions. They insisted on counting every one, made a mistake and then had to recount !

I picked up a box from the air cargo centre in 2008. I had to sign 13 different documents and it took me 4.5 hours to collect one box of personal items. They really do worry about the smallest things. Don't get me started on the archaic banking system here.

I sometimes think it’s all a prank.  Like candid camera.
They’ve got a hidden camera somewhere to film your reaction & after work they screen it at the karaoke joints & piss themselves laughing.

Indices :

Thepakkizeggypharts.

Return to Holland because or worries about the virus ?
Last year in the Netherlands there were 155,000 health related deaths of which 47,000 died from Cancer alone, amounting to 30% of fatalities. Another 25% of total deaths were caused by Heart related issues.
And you worry about the Coronavirus ?

I'm trying to figure out the logic here. Are you saying that if he stays in Vietnam, in a country with bad hygiene track record, densely populated cities, not particularly competent healthcare and crysis management, close to the oubreak epicenter from where millions of tourists travel to the country each year, it is unlikely that he'd contract the virus? But if he moves to NL, he'll suddenly die of cancer or heart issues?  :/

Atom.
Don't be ridiculous.
I was just pointing out that every country has its risks. In most cases it is out of the frying pan into the fire. The Netherlands had in excess of 700 deaths last year just from the more normal Influenza. I do not see why Vietnam is any more dangerous re the Coronavirus as anywhere else. if anything the latest science is that it thrives more in a cold climate.

Indices :

Atom.
Don't be ridiculous.
I was just pointing out that every country has its risks. In most cases it is out of the frying pan into the fire. The Netherlands had in excess of 700 deaths last year just from the more normal Influenza. I do not see why Vietnam is any more dangerous re the Coronavirus as anywhere else. if anything the latest science is that it thrives more in a cold climate.

Ok, understood, your argument is outright dumb then. You don't catch cancer or heart problems riding a bus. You do catch the corona virus from infected people around you. No short-term measure can reduce dramatically the chance of developing cancer or heart diseases. There is a short-term measure that does this with corona virus. And corona virus is a bigger threat in Vietnam for the reasons I listed in my previous post.

Atom.
There are more case now reported in Europe than in Vietnam.
You are missing the point and overlooking the broader picture. I am of course not saying Cancer or heart disease is contagious. But rather the lifestyle of the country concerned has its own risks. If precautions are taken then Coronavirus is no more dangerous than known Influenza of which the Netherlands have a higher risk than Vietnam. There are many thousands of deaths every year from Influenza, far more than those that have died from Coronavirus. Where do you suggest we all run to ?

If you look at a map of coronavirus cases, both South America and Africa show ZERO cases. Both continents have generally poor healthcare. Because coronavirus is SO virulent, one case could bloom into thousands or millions of cases in a matter of weeks. That scenario represents a problem for the whole world.
An American checked into a micro-hotel a few doors down from Angie's house in Saigon after a two-hour layover in Wuhan on his trip from America. He came down with the virus two days later.
Coronavirus is 30 times more lethal than the flu. A pocket of infection in an African slum threatens the whole world.

On a side note, the ramifications on business is now starting to be of great concern. Seeing as China is the worlds factory, businesses are starting to have issues with supplies.

Indices :

There are more case now reported in Europe than in Vietnam.

Let's say we have the same confidence in the official numbers of both EU and Vietnam.  :lol: Once there is an outbreak, where do you think it'd spread quicker and where could you get much better treatment if contracted?

Indices :

If precautions are taken then Coronavirus is no more dangerous than known Influenza of which the Netherlands have a higher risk than Vietnam. There are many thousands of deaths every year from Influenza, far more than those that have died from Coronavirus.

Out of 1500 closed coronavirus cases 30% ended with death.

I've also found some influenza-related statistics, Netherlands seems to do much better than Vietnam: https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cau … y-country/

I'm not saying you should run, just don't try to downplay the seriousness of the oubreak, you're not the chinese/vietnamese/cambodian government!  :lol:

Atom.
You seem more concerned with finding fault and criticism than actually debating anything sensible.
Have a good evening.

Indices :

You seem more concerned with finding fault and criticism than actually debating anything sensible.

How do you define a debate? One party lists his arguments and the other accepts them?

I'm concerned about spreading misinformation. The numbers I'm seeing are suggesting an alarming situation...

colinoscapee :

On a side note, the ramifications on business is now starting to be of great concern. Seeing as China is the worlds factory, businesses are starting to have issues with supplies.

Colin.
True, it seems to be affecting a whole myriad of businesses. The hospitality trade for instance must be taking a huge hit. One thing I do find a little odd is that after the snake connection was ruled out the main blame seems to be placed on rats. Yet over 300 have been tested at independent labs and none have signs of the virus. I guess it is no coincidence that China's largest Bio-research lab just happens to be where the outbreak started. They have had several warnings previously when the facility was inspected due to concerns over their Bio security.

Atom.
As you wish.

Fine.

Indices :

Atom.
As you wish.

atomheart :

Fine.

Whatever...

We will have to worry about coronavirus until we have a vaccine.

Jim-Minh :

Maybe it's beer...

I read that Thailand was able to reverse the symptoms on couple of people who had the virus with a cocktail of HIV meds and something else. If you're living in the country, then it's one thing but to be on vacation and worry about being exposed is another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3DVG0rAdNQ

Jim-Minh :

I doubt a vaccine as such is viable due to the way the virus replicates in many different, almost infinite variations. Refining treatment methods is the best bet. Antibiotics are useless but drugs to reduce the impact of the virus is working in a majority of cases. If you are fit and well then, apart from suffering much the same effects as Influenza, it should be recoverable.

INO has done a lot of work on a universal flu vaccine which should work on all the coronaviruses. Their failures have been frustrating but still have promise.

Jim-Minh :

INO has done a lot of work on a universal flu vaccine which should work on all the coronaviruses. Their failures have been frustrating but still have promise.

Drugs companies throughout the world have been racing to get a universal flu vaccine since the '50's for obvious reasons, the financial gains would be huge. But most have now given up the quest and moved towards drugs to help alleviate the primary symptoms. A universal vaccine for a virus that has thousands of possible mutations, even in one host, is something that is probably unachievable.
As for the current Coronavirus it is important to keep the risks in proportion. Yes of course take precautions and be sensible, that goes without saying, but the actual figures are not as bad as many other potential threats. The global mortality average is comparatively small, 2%, and 80% of deaths have occurred in those over 60 years old with 75% of them having pre-existing health issues. Most countries are more concerned with the potential financial damage to their economy than a high fatality rate.
Of course the outbreak should be taken seriously but there are many more serious ones waiting in the wings and for that matter already around us. The area around my apartment has been exceptionally quiet with little movement which I guess varies from district to district and most people are wearing masks. But Mosquito's for instance are a far far bigger risk yet I never see people wandering around in full Mosquito nets or creating such panic.
Coronavirus is a disturbing one but needs to be kept in proportion to everything else.

Im considering returning to Holland where the health systrm and society id better equiped to deal with epidemic. How long before uk advised expats in vnn to return home ?

I completely understand your motive. I came to VN this month to save myself from the rampaging flu epidemic in the US. Over 10,000 dead so far for the 2019-2020 flu season!

Sarcasm aside, there is a negligible threat from Coronavirus. The Chinese tourists are gone, so that eliminates most of the threat. Even if you're exposed, it's really only dangerous for the young, elderly, and anyone with an underlying respiratory condition (asthma, etc).

Unfortunately, there is some fear mongering happening. Cat Ba island is closed to tourists for a month, and schools are closed for another week. I think this has largely been a social media virus. I definitely wouldn't change my plans over it.

Chinese are gone but were allowed to come and came while it was breaking out in China. The fact that they're gone at this point is pretty irrelevant. In a country with high population density, poor healthcare and close to zero care about other people's well-being, the chances of an outbreak are rather high. (I truly hope I am wrong though)