I only think of one thing and it's Scotland

I've been obsessed with Scotland the last month.
I think that the only way to know a place is to live in it, so I hope to get a work visa and live in Scotland for a while. I plan to make this happen by the end of 2021.

So for now it would be nice to meet people.
I am from Mexico and maybe there is some topic that interests you, we can talk about it.
I would love you to tell me what your country is like.

I won't be going soon, so I'll just briefly say I became enchanted with Scotland when I was there in 2018. My disability became too severe to let me travel - for now. In a few years I will be back.

I spoke with a Scotsman at a pub there about Brexit. He told me they, the Scots, are quite displeased about it and some regret voting to stay as one country with the British. They felt they were better off with the British and the European Union, and now the British have cut off from the EU, and taken Scotland with them.

Should they come to feel they are no longer better off with Great Britain, they may decide to act upon that.

One should keep an eye on the political situation there.

I was also told that, tho Scotland and Great Britain are under the same immigration rules, it is easier to qualify in Scotland, as they have greater need for skilled workers in Scotland. It has been notoriously difficult to get a visa in the UK.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

LOL - you shouldn't listen to Scotsmen in the pub (or Englishmen for that matter).  As it stands, the Scots cannot "decide to act upon that"; it would require a change to the Law and the SNP do not have the political clout in Westminster to achieve this and as it stands today, they never will; if it happens, it will only be because it has been granted by the UK Government.

The bottom line is that only the national UK government can permit the question to be asked in a referendum.  It's also relevant that the whole UK only has one Government who can make laws, the national assemblies (Parliaments) in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can only act within the limited powers granted them by the UK Government; self-determination is not one of them (except in Northern Ireland where the Good Friday Agreement has some potentially important impact).

Personally, I'm indifferent on the subject, if the majority of the Scots want to leave, then they should be allowed to do so.  Right now, it's caught up in the personal foibles of some of the SNP politicians who have proven to be just as weak as the rest of us.

It is true to say that there is a different skilled migrant list in operation in Scotland; however, the only difference is the Scottish version includes Chemical scientists and Production and process engineers within the nuclear industry and Teachers who can teach in the Gaelic language.  Apart from this, the shortage occupation list is identical and just as restrictive.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I stand justly corrected and wholly shamed.

I cited my source, anyway. And gave you a laugh.

Wow, everything they say is very interesting, the truth is that I hope that the changes now with Brexit are favorable for those of us who are looking to work for a season in Scotland.
I saw a video about a Spanish woman who had gotten a job as a receptionist and that encouraged me.
I do not have great pretensions with respect to Scotland, I only hope to install myself for a few months.
You know what it says, "to know a place, you must live in it."

Kaedibyrd :

I stand justly corrected and wholly shamed.

I cited my source, anyway. And gave you a laugh.

LOL - absolutely no need to feel ashamed.  Just be careful who you speak to in pubs.  Whatever, I hope your Expat journey (wherever you end up) is a great one.

Hope this helped.

Cynic
Expat Team

Ivette R :

Wow, everything they say is very interesting, the truth is that I hope that the changes now with Brexit are favorable for those of us who are looking to work for a season in Scotland.
I saw a video about a Spanish woman who had gotten a job as a receptionist and that encouraged me.
I do not have great pretensions with respect to Scotland, I only hope to install myself for a few months.
You know what it says, "to know a place, you must live in it."

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Nothing stopping you coming to the UK as a tourist - as such you can stay for a maximum of 6 months and Mexican citizens don't need a visa either, you just won't be able to work while you're here.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team