Bank Recommendations

Hi, my wife Renae and I are from Wisconsin in the US. We are retirerees who have traveled a good deal but who now want to establish a residence in Barcelona. 

We have secured NIE numbers from the consulate in Chicago. We will travel to Barcelona in April to purchase or rent an apartment. Our first order of business will be to secure a bank account in the city. Can you recommend a bank that is user friendly for US citizens?

Also, is it a difficult process to do so or would I follow the same steps I would take here in the states?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

steve

I also am looking for a bank in Varcrlona and am very disappointed there have been no responses to your question.

I was able to open an account with Banco Santander on my last visit to Barcelona, but am very unhappy with it. I need a bank account because my rent, internet and utilities are automatically deducted from it. I understand that is typical in Spain. So far, the bank hasn't screwed that up, but they have pretty much been a disaster in every other respect. I wanted to be able to pay some bills using Bizum, which lets you pay a registered user simply by entering the mobile phone number. Alternatively, they have a mechanism for bank to bank transfers.

Unfortunately, these require a Digital Certificate — essentially an 8 digit alphanumeric password — to be entered as part of every transaction. I followed the instructions as best I could (although their website offers English as a language choice, the instructions and messages are in Spanish). Despite my best efforts, when I tried to use Bizum the second time I received a message that the Digital Certificate was invalid and I needed a new one. I then discovered that “for security reasons” my PIN number, password and account all were blocked.

To restore my account my choices were: (1) To call a phone number which has a list of choices (Press 1 to …) none of which apply. (2) To contact another phone number, which forwards you to the first number or (3) to visit my bank and speak to the manager. Since I still am in California, that is somewhat difficult.

If anyone has positive experiences with a bank which has offices in Barcelona, please respond. When I arrive later this month one of the first things I want to do is close this account and open one at a different bank.

I have been using Santander for six months now. I tried to open an account at BBVA but they wouldn't until I received my card. Banco Santander allowed me to open an account with my passport and then once I got my immigration card, they updated the information. It was so much easier to have the account more than a month earlier than I would have gotten it having to wait for my actual, physical card.

I too have had to enter the eight digit code and once had to go into the branch to have them help me work out my phone app getting locked. I've found them kind and helpful. Once it is all set up it has worked wonderful.

I have paid my rent using the phone app and just transfer the funds (not using Bizum) and it works fine.

As a relocator, I give support to those coming to live in Madrid. From experience, Sabadell is the most foreign friendly. On the opposite side may be CaixaBank, which from my own experience as a client I don't recommend. They block your account and their employees can't explain why, and you have to set a complaint to the corporation in their web to get a reply, not on the phone or from your branch. Santander is a matter of good luck and last place of residence. But you can open an account with your passport. What's the problem then? If you come from China or the Middle East, they open your account and then they block it. So, when you open your account, put the minimum, say 50€. And be ready to justify the sources of your income. What happens to online banks, you can try but make sure you can pay taxes and utilities from that account.

Hope you find this useful

I opened a nonresident account (that's what you'll need to start) with Banco Sabadell as an American citizen a few years ago and have found it very easy to work with. All my documents are in English, the app works well in English, and online customer service was quick and helpful when I needed it while out of Spain. I pay bills with it and have a debit card that works well everywhere. Transferring money in and out is smooth. The people in my local office are friendly and helpful. I did need to give a US address as a nonresident, even though I was purchasing property in Spain at the time. It wasn't difficult to set up; just be sure to bring your passport and NIE. Check with your local office ahead of time to see if you need to make an appointment, something they seem to be doing more these days.

Good recommendation from @Al SAmD, we've got a non-resident account at Sabadell too. We went into quite a few banks so it wasn't easy to find one that was willing (this was before we got our official residence permits).

You might want to consider an ebank too (such as Wise or Revolut) as they're pretty handy for use in Europe, and I believe they both work for US citizens/residents.

A few days ago after having been refused by the BBVA who, theoretically (!), do have a bank account for non resident foreigners, I walked into a Bankinter agency: Ten minutes later I had an account!

The documentation they asked was : my passport, proof of my revenues and a paper from the Extranjería service of the Policía Nacional attesting that I do not have fiscal residence in Spain yet. They didn't even ask for my NIE, nor did I need a Spanish telephone number (which I do have).

I did not go to the Santander bank because that one is very expensive: 16€ a month for non residents. BBVA costs 3€ a month...if they accept you. The Holabank = CaixaBank for foreigners, has an account for non residents too, but the Caixa agency too refused me.

I didn't go to Sabadell because in my area there is no office with parking spots nearby (I have reduced mobility).

And Bankinter seems to have a very modern system. It is not one of those old fashioned banks where you have to go to the local office and spend ages signing triplicate papers. So that suits me well.

Happy bank hunting! ;-)