Air Pollution Worse in HCMC When Riding A Motorbike?

Definitely not a cotrolled study, but this article suggests it might be better for your respiratory health to walk instead of riding a motorbike...

airvisual. com/air-pollution-information/blog/ho-chi-minh-city-air-quality-motorbike-experiment-reveals-where-the-pollution-hotspots-are

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Definitely not a cotrolled study, but this article suggests it might be better for your respiratory health to walk instead of riding a motorbike...

Food for thought:  To control for walking I suppose you would have to walk the entire route.  I'm not sure that you can walk through the tunnel though, so you may have to modify the route to go over a bridge.   Although the rate of pollution per hour may be lower while walking the total time of exposure would probably be so great that the total pollution exposure would actually be higher.

THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Food for thought:  To control for walking I suppose you would have to walk the entire route.  I'm not sure that you can walk through the tunnel though, so you may have to modify the route to go over a bridge.   Although the rate of pollution per hour may be lower while walking the total time of exposure would probably be so great that the total pollution exposure would actually be higher.

Very possible.

It also occurred to me that a moving vehicle increases the amount of pollutants encountered as it whisks through traffic.

Anyone who's ever driven a car in the southern USA in the springtime knows that bugs don't get stuck to the windshield when the vehicle is parked...

Faulty analogy?

:/

Nothing in the article suggests to me that walking the very same route with high traffic is any better. Also, the title of the article is just dead wrong (she didn't actually drive around looking for hot spots), makes me question any data coming from airvisual.com.  Would have been interesting to see the stats if she took a different route with less traffic (if there is such a thing, lol)...

atomheart wrote:

Nothing in the article suggests to me that walking the very same route with high traffic is any better. Also, the title of the article is just dead wrong (she didn't actually drive around looking for hot spots), makes me question any data coming from airvisual.com.  Would have been interesting to see the stats if she took a different route with less traffic (if there is such a thing, lol)...

Maybe a puff piece to get people asking where they can buy a personal air quality monitor?

It just so happens that website can hook you up... 😉

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Faulty analogy? :/

Perhaps because we are talking about walking the route, not standing still.