Rose coloured glasses and the grass is always greener . . . . .

A married couple that I have known for many years, both intelligent ( debatable ) that live in London with only European travel experience previously came to HCM last year on a very expensive, carefully guided 5* travel package. They were here for a little over a week and were steered to all the usual clean pristine 'touristy' places, best hotel, fusion food etc etc. They absolutely fell in love with the place. So enamoured were they that they decided to up anchor, quit their well paid jobs and move here. Despite an array of emails and Skype conversations they paid absolutely no heed whatsoever to my gentle nudging that Vietnam, as much as I love it, it not quite as it appears to a 5* tourist and living here bears no resemblance to their one-of vacation.
They rented a house near the river from an agent and paid 12 months in advance. On arrival just before Christmas they found that the house they had rented was not quite what it seemed ( what a surprise lol ). Their romantic, idyllic evenings on the balcony on the banks of the river ( lovely photos in the brochure of course ) were disrupted by so many mosquitos it is a wonder they didn't need a transfusion. The inevitable Cockroaches took delight in their rather slack kitchen habits and rats used the hanging plants as a highway. I guess the last straw was when they had coffee in a cafe by the roadside and whilst busy applying the Antihistamine had both iPads whipped off the table by a passing motorcyclist. Despair and several doses of Immodium later they decided they had had enough and yesterday returned to London.
Well, I did warn them.

Sorry for them but you tried...

Great story!!!!

Colin. Thanks. Sad but true.

Indices wrote:

Colin. Thanks. Sad but true.

I know where you are coming from, been there, done that.

I know a guy who tried to advise his mate of 30 years, it all fell on deaf ears and the guy got cooked by his little bar girl.

Indices wrote:

A married couple that I have known for many years, both intelligent ( debatable ) that live in London with only European travel experience previously came to HCM last year on a very expensive, carefully guided 5* travel package. They were here for a little over a week and were steered to all the usual clean pristine 'touristy' places, best hotel, fusion food etc etc. They absolutely fell in love with the place. So enamoured were they that they decided to up anchor, quit their well paid jobs and move here. Despite an array of emails and Skype conversations they paid absolutely no heed whatsoever to my gentle nudging that Vietnam, as much as I love it, it not quite as it appears to a 5* tourist and living here bears no resemblance to their one-of vacation.
They rented a house near the river from an agent and paid 12 months in advance. On arrival just before Christmas they found that the house they had rented was not quite what it seemed ( what a surprise lol ). Their romantic, idyllic evenings on the balcony on the banks of the river ( lovely photos in the brochure of course ) were disrupted by so many mosquitos it is a wonder they didn't need a transfusion. The inevitable Cockroaches took delight in their rather slack kitchen habits and rats used the hanging plants as a highway. I guess the last straw was when they had coffee in a cafe by the roadside and whilst busy applying the Antihistamine had both iPads whipped off the table by a passing motorcyclist. Despair and several doses of Immodium later they decided they had had enough and yesterday returned to London.
Well, I did warn them.

Silly buggers, I had no expectations, and I still have all of them. I just enjoy what is here.
Wadey

Colin.
Yup. It has never ceased to amaze me how blindness can suddenly inflict people, no matter what else they hear. Could be brought on by irrational dreams, anger, jealousy and, more often than not, a pretty girl. I guess I have been lucky in that the only thing liable to take my sanity away is a '68 Shelby Fastback lol.

Wadey.
Right attitude I reckon. There are other places I would rather be than Vietnam. But it is what it is. That's life I guess. Just make the most of what there is wherever it is. No point in getting up in the morning otherwise.

Tell more stories from their time in VN.

Indices wrote:

Wadey.
Right attitude I reckon. There are other places I would rather be than Vietnam. But it is what it is. That's life I guess. Just make the most of what there is wherever it is. No point in getting up in the morning otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here, I just enjoy what's on offer regardless what it is. If I don't like I keep walking.
Wadey