Want to try working in Ireland for a year or so. What are my chances?

Greetings! Name's Michael, I come from Slovakia and I'd love to work in Ireland for some time. I'll be 23 in a month and a few days.

Currently, I'm employed in a warehouse/assembly line in my home country, which pays miserable money, but i'm there only for a few months to save some money through winter, after which I wanted to work abroad, but I kind of don't know where to begin.

Sure - I could've found a job abroad in some agency in Slovakia, but the offers are only hotels and factories and they pay money, which is under the minimum wage in those countries (Germany, UK, etc.), countering it by the fact they provide housing and lunches. The agencies are usually a big rip-off and If you go through personal contacts (e.g. a friend's friend is working for a factory in Germany), they could rip you off even more. That's why I've made an account here on expats and I'd like some information, because I'm worried about accomodation, whether I'll get accepted for a job and I need some tips as well.

Since High School, I've been working part-time and sometimes full-time in bars in Slovakia, but the pay is usually from 2.80€/h netto to 4€/h netto at best, which as you can imagine, is quite bad. So I'm working in a factory, where the pay is 5.07€/h netto, but It's physically and mentally draining and I'm about to quit after three months. What I'd love to do, is being able to work in a bar - which I enjoy, but get paid enough to save some money for a university, probably in the Netherlands. I've got good spoken english, so serving customers is no problem, i'm talkative and I know quite a lot about craftbeer and since the craftbeer industry is bigger in the west, I think I'd have OK chances - that is, if they would accept people from another countries. Do you think I have a chance?

The second thing i'm worried about is accomodation, but i'll type that in later, or make a new topic altogether, because I'm typing this as I'm going to work in the factory (low on time here).

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

As an EU citizen, you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU.  Work in bars and warehouses is generally available in many EU countries which is good news, the downside is that it's still physically and mentally draining and also poorly paid.

One thing you need to consider is whether you could afford to live in Ireland.  The Numbeo website offers information on this and I've just done a comparison between Bratislava and Dublin; this link will take you there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

As an EU citizen, you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU.  Work in bars and warehouses is generally available in many EU countries which is good news, the downside is that it's still physically and mentally draining and also poorly paid.

One thing you need to consider is whether you could afford to live in Ireland.  The Numbeo website offers information on this and I've just done a comparison between Bratislava and Dublin; this link will take you there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

It helps quite a lot, thanks!
I'm very sparing with my money, but I'll probably only have around 1000€ until I can get a paycheck. Do employers in Ireland pay weekly or monthly? Because in Slovakia, you get a monthly payment.

Hi again.

Normally paid monthly.

Cynic wrote:

Hi again.

Normally paid monthly.

I see. Thanks a lot!

Hi Graephen

You might consider locating outside Dublin, possible the West (Galway) or South West (Kerry, Cork) Rents are cheaper in Galway than in Dublin, there are alot of tourist orientated opportunities in Galway, Bars, hotels, restaurants.  All should pay at least the minimum wage.  Alot of accommodation in Galway is rented out to students from September to May.  There is one university and one IT based here.  Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will be happy to answer them

Sean

seanog2ie wrote:

Hi Graephen

You might consider locating outside Dublin, possible the West (Galway) or South West (Kerry, Cork) Rents are cheaper in Galway than in Dublin, there are alot of tourist orientated opportunities in Galway, Bars, hotels, restaurants.  All should pay at least the minimum wage.  Alot of accommodation in Galway is rented out to students from September to May.  There is one university and one IT based here.  Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will be happy to answer them

Sean

Thanks Sean. I'd actually be more interested in Cork, than Dublin, now that i'm gathering more info over time. There's also a chance of working through an agency as timing is of essence to me (I have to be home in Slovakia between 25th of June and 25th of August, because of medical). But Cork sounds the best. I'd either go there now, or after august, so any tips are welcome, but do you think I should get acommodated first, or should I start contacting emplyers first and then accomodate according to their locations? Thanks a lot.

-Michael

Hi Michael
Accommodation in Ireland is crazy at the moment.  It is in short supply and expensive.  I would try to secure accommodation first and then sort out employment.  There are a large number of bars etc in Cork, alot just put up notices on the windows when they are looking for staff.  you can keep an eye on a website indeed.ie which has job ads.  Cork is a large City with University so Sept - May there is a large number of students looking for accommodation.   Best if you can secure accommodation before the students hit in August.  This is also true for Galway City.  let me know if you have any other questions
Thanks
Sean