Birth Certificate

I am a Romanian citizen. Born in Romania to Romanian parents. I was adopted and raised in the US. I have all of my original adoption documents. I must go to Bucharesti to update my birth certificate. Does anyone know how long that will take and how much it might cost?

As far as I know, there is no cost (to save time, you should bring a copies of all your documents). I don't think it will take more than 1-3 days, but I would plan on 5 working days or so, just to be sure.

Greetings. I have 2 questions:

1. What do you mean by 'update my birth certificate'?

A birth certificate does not change, you either have it or you don't.

2. 'I must go to Bucharesti'

Why is that? You should be able to resolve whatever documentation issues you might have via the Romanian Consulate(s) or Embassy in the States.

I was in Canada almost 20 years when, one time, trying to renew my Romanian passport, for the n-th time, I was asked for my birth certificate (apparently the current passport was no longer sufficient). I have explained that I don't have a birth certificate because back when I left Romania, the laws were such that they have asked for and kept my original birth certificate at the Passport office, at the time they gave me the 'special' passport as a Romanian living overseas. So what to do ... I provided them with a non-certified (xerox) copy of my birth certificate, that I happened to still have and it was better than nothing. Based on that and an application I filled up, they sent the documentation to Romania and after like 3 months, I finally got a new birth certificate (new format).

What I am trying to say is that I did not need to go to Romania for that. Technically the Consulates/Embassy in the States are your bridge between anything US and Romania because they understand and validate any docs/paperwork you have that originates in the States as well as Romania and they should be able to put in whatever request to the Romanian authorities regarding any documentation you are entitled to have. You might have to wait 2-3 months and pay a fee, but beats having to fly and spend time there, if it's not in your plan to do so.

Cheers,
Cristian

Cristian_G wrote:

I have explained that I don't have a birth certificate because back when I left Romania, the laws were such that they have asked for and kept my original birth certificate at the Passport office, at the time they gave me the 'special' passport as a Romanian living overseas.

That is odd. Now they retain your "Buletin de Identitate" when you're getting the CRDS passport, that makes sense. But to retain the birth certificate as well?!

Thanks for this information and insight!

I applied through the consulate here in the USA that I'm assigned to and applied to register my American birth, in Romania. (Birthright citizenship) One of my biggest questions was how long the process takes to register the birth certificate in Romania and receive my CNP (CPN?) from Sec. 1 and you answered. 1 month down...about 1-2 months more to go!

Hi! My genetic cousin who was adopted, has the same questions as you. I happened to have graduated the Academy of Police in Romania (and earned a law degree), but also have a Master in Law in America (close to obtaining the Bar license). But I'm not an American or Romanian licensed Attorney, so, take this with a pinch of salt.

You should be able to resolve all your legal matters at the closest Romanian Embassy; if they send you to Romania, remind them that as soon as you walked onto that door, you, as a born Romanian citizen, are on the juridical territory of Romania, and they are there to help you. If they give you a hassle, ask to speak with the Counselor (someone who is actually licensed to practice law); I had an ugly experience in DC but fixed it right away as soon as I heard a clerk sending my mother to Romania for a damn power of attorney that could have been done there. Once I spoke with a Counselor, we had peace and left with a resolution; in fact, she gave me her email to contact her any time I would need her (and I did) which created no more issues.

I looked at the Romanian Embassy website in the USA. Unfortunately, I can't find the English version of the page that explains that you can obtain documents from them: http://washington.mae.ro/node/273 Use Google Translate if you need to. This is the page for the birth certificate: http://washington.mae.ro/node/274

It's not an easy process considering your situation but as a former forensic I can guarantee that you have a way to obtain a Cazier (a sort of a civilian proof of a security clearance that you don't have any criminal record). If you need to return to Romania in the city where you were born, you need to know exactly what paperwork you need to bring (to which the Apostille from the Convention of Hague is affixed). You'll need to translate it from English to Romanian (it's cheaper to do it in Romania, and I can help with guidance) but hopefully you won't get that deep. I have childhood friends from CA who had to return to Romania 3-4 times to resolve an issue because they were not explained the entire process but only in bits and pieces (step by step but as they went through the process, not overall). Pretty annoying and you bet, very expensive.

I'm not sure about your statement of updating the birth certificate; adoption does not change the name of the biological parents on this document. You'll always need the Certificate of Adoption which in many cases is an actual Judge Order/ Decree that has to be translated from the language of origin to the target language (including the Apostille). Unless you refer to any change of names (yours of your biological or adopting parents) in which case it still doesn't affect the birth certificate, I don't see a need for an update. Romania does not apply American rules which in some states change the birth certificate of a person who changed his/ her biological gender. This is a very conservative society.

Don't expect privacy when discussing with the staff! I know it's weird but you can ask for a private place if people are waiting but shouldn't have that issue if you have an appointment. After all, the European Union has the toughest privacy laws in the world, and Romania, as a member, should implement them, too. Stand your ground! Be firm but respectful which is not something that many Romanians would appreciate. I fight this mentality on a daily basis here. Many are like sheep and they don't know their rights which pisses me off.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions. I could dig for more info for you.

Bella

GuestPoster302, who sent you to have a CNP issued??? That's non-sense. A CNP is the equivalent of a SSN, and it's assigned to you at birth if you're born in Romania (or even overseas but register through the official Romanian authorities).
Why did you apply for birthright citizenship? It's never lost unless you explicitly renounced it. This fake path can take years, and you risk to stand still in the process (and restart all over on a different path, the right one). Please read my other message to the same question!

Cristian,

Good feedback! Certain procedures, even in the USA, require two official valid documents issued by that government. Romania implements such requirements in most procedures. Indeed, having the information (not even in a copy) is enough to make a request for a duplicate birth certificate. The issue becomes complex when talking about a passport because nowadays they make them with biometric data which require the presence of the passport holder at the authorities in Romania.

Happy New Year!

Bella

So, my parents are both Romanian. They are dual-citizens now with the USA/Romania. I, however, was born in the USA and never my birth was never registered in Romania. In order to get my Romanian passport, I need a CNP number, which i can only have issued (I was told) if I transcribe and register my birth in Romania.

Yes, there is a process for you to register in the Romanian system. Have you tried the Romanian Consulate in the USA? You'd have to do the paperwork which will be sent to Romania; it will take a while. This is not a process that would require your presence in Romania, only on the juridical territory of the country which fits the definition of a Consulate or Embassy.

Correct! :)
That's exactly the route I went--through my consulate and then they went ahead and sent all of the paperwork to Sector 1. Now I'm just waiting. It's been 3 months and I was told by the consulate, embassy and online that it usually takes approx. 3 months. Was just wondering if there was a way to get an update about where it is in the process. Desperately trying to apply for my passport and go to Romania to be with my grandma. Is there a faster way to acquire the "new" birth certificate? As in, could a lawyer go to Sector 1 and pick it up or could I give power of attorney to my cousin to pick it up?

Thanks!