Coronavirus news Indonesia

Seems like the supermarkets in our city are beginning to have some empty shelves, same goes for cold foods. Since many parts of the country are recommending social distancing, it might be worth making sure that you have plenty of water, milk, tinned food etc for the next couple of weeks. That especially goes for families with children.

I have visited supermarkets in Jakarta and a couple of towns in Central Java. All are stocked as normal, the same going for Alfamart and Indomarets in those places and on the toll roads.

I went wild and bought a 5kg bag of rice (we normally buy 2.5kg) along with a few packs of noodles, the latter because I hadn't realised my wife had already picked some up.

There are no shortages up to just, and no sign of any shortages, so no need to buy more than normal save perhaps a little extra on the off chance you develop symptoms, but Go-food and Go-shop solve that little problem.

Opps sorry wrong post

Well if everything is fine then nothing to worry about :)

However, in the supermarkets that I visited and later another supermarket that my wife visited, both today, there were shortages of sugar, eggs, some cheese, some butter, tempe was sold out and green veggies sold out very quickly which is super rare then it would be smart to buy a little stock.

Obviously we went to different supermarkets than you did. True that Indomaret and Alfamart still are full of goods though.

However, since the situation is getting worse, I think it is wise to stock up a bit on certain items. And also if you are self isolating as we have started to do we can only order certain items for delivery by the supermarket.

Clearly we don't all think alike....

Marcello Manganese wrote:
Gwmeath wrote:

Immigration in Batam are not allowing you to leave the island due to singspore in lockdown / 14 day isolation, some expats i am friends with who do a visa run have been issued with an exemption from immigration, all schools closed as from end of businnes today, i cant confirm or not but 85 in isolation on the island transparency in this country is an absolute joke

Do u mean that immigration exempt tourist blocked here with VOA expiring, to not pay the 1 million overstay fee?
I have some friends in Bali in That situation, so this would be a great news for them.

Breaking News 🙏 English translation:
1. The government continues to pay close attention to reports from WHO regarding the development of the spread of COVID-19.
2. Bearing in mind that more and more countries have been infected with COVID-19, the Government strongly urges Indonesian citizens to limit their travel abroad except for urgent matters which cannot be postponed.
3. For Indonesian citizens who are currently traveling abroad, they are expected to return to Indonesia immediately before experiencing further flight difficulties.
4. A number of countries currently have policies to restrict traffic. Therefore, all Indonesian citizens are requested to keep a close watch on information in the safe-travel application or contact the nearest RI representative hotline.
5. Regarding foreign visitors from all countries, the Government of Indonesia has decided that the Visa Free Arrival (BVK), Visa on Arrival and Free Diplomatic / Service Visa policies are suspended for 1 month.
6. Therefore, every foreigner who will visit Indonesia is required to have a Visa from an Indonesian Representative in accordance with the purpose and purpose of the visit. When applying for a visa, you must attach a health certificate issued by the health authority in each country.
7. In addition to the above, there are special policies that concern the following countries:
8. First, the policy towards China is still valid according to the statement of the Minister of Foreign Affairs on February 2 (https://kemlu.go.id/…/peritif-per … update-...) and Permenkumham number 7 year 2020 (https: //www.imigration.go.id/.../14-15-07-PERMENKUMHAM_NOMOR_7_…)
9. Second, the policy towards South Korea for Daegu City and Gyeongsangbuk-do Province is still in accordance with the Foreign Minister's statement dated March 5, 2020. https://kemlu.go.id/.../indonesian-gove … e-d…
10. Third, migrants / travelers who within the last 14 days visited the countries below are not permitted to enter / transit to Indonesia. These countries are:
a. Iran;
b. Italy;
c. Vatican;
d. Spanish;
e. France;
f. German;
g. Switzerland;
h. English
11. Fourth, all arrivals / travelers must fill out and submit a Health Alert Card to the Port Health Office prior to arrival at the entrance of the Indonesian International Airport.
12. If the travel history shows that in the last 14 days the person concerned has visited these countries, then the person concerned may be refused entry to Indonesia.
13. Fifth, for Indonesian citizens who visit the aforementioned countries, an additional inspection will be carried out by the Port Health Office upon arrival in the homeland:
a. If additional investigations find the initial symptoms of Covid-19, there will be an observation at a government facility for 14 days;
b. If no initial symptoms are found, it is strongly recommended that the person perform an independent quarantine for 14 days.
14. Extension of residence permit for foreigners / travelers who currently reside in Indonesia and has expired, then the arrangement is carried out in accordance with Permenkumham No. 7 in 2020.
15. For KITAS / KITAP holders and holders of diplomatic / official residence permits currently residing abroad and their entry permits will expire, the arrangements are also in accordance with Permenkumham No. 7 in 2020.
16. This policy will take effect on Friday 20 March at 00.00 West Indonesia Time.
17. This policy is temporary and will be evaluated in accordance with developments.

Finally the government release the list of the areas where the infedted people already confirmed come from.
DKI Jakarta, Jawa Barat (Kab. Bekasi, Kota Bekasi, Depok, Cirebon, Bandung, Purwakarta, Cianjur), Jawa Tengah (Solo, Magelang), Kalimantan Barat (Pontianak), Sulawesi Utara (Manado), Bali, Banten (Kab. Tangerang, Kota Tangerang, Kota Tangerang Selatan) dan DI Yogyakarta (Sleman).
The list and daily update at this link
https://covid19.kemkes.go.id/category/s … ona-virus/

I cant confirm or not but ive just been informed by a very well positioned individual that it has been announced all expats on tourist visas etc will be able to have these extended, im still waiting on a link but i was told it was announced locally around 9pm, again i cant confirm this

Visa rules appear to have been suspended - This a strictly a 'check before you travel' situation, in or out of Indonesia. Those leaving Indonesia for a few days may not be able to return.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- … SKBN2141FL

A sensible approach

https://en.tempo.co/read/1320793/police … food-sales

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Police Headquarters' Food Task Force issued a circular restricting the sale of a number of staple food. This is done to guarantee market availability, in anticipation of panic buying due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Gwmeath wrote:

I cant confirm or not but ive just been informed by a very well positioned individual that it has been announced all expats on tourist visas etc will be able to have these extended, im still waiting on a link but i was told it was announced locally around 9pm, again i cant confirm this

I appreciate ur interest, till yestarday imigrasi in Bali denied the estention of expired VOA for tourists expet fot chinese, even for italians that are banned for many countries and have almost all flights to Italy cancelled.
Aduuuuh

Gwmeath wrote:

I appreciate ur interest, till yestarday imigrasi in Bali denied the estention of expired VOA for tourists expet fot chinese, even for italians that are banned for many countries and have almost all flights to Italy cancelled.
Aduuuuh

As i said in my post i cant confirm the information but this was announced "?" Locally around 9pm last night and i am waiting on a link/ confirmation as the offices here do not ooen until 10am

BNI, and probably the other banks, are advising customers to use mobile banking apps.

To be honest, I mostly do anyway so this will change little for me.

Fred wrote:

Visa rules appear to have been suspended - This a strictly a 'check before you travel' situation, in or out of Indonesia. Those leaving Indonesia for a few days may not be able to return.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- … SKBN2141FL

Yes very unfortunate especially for those expats who have/ use tourist visas or have maxed out with extending being told to leave loved ones/ dependants behind with no possible return anytime soon, one guy has to leave his elderly and very sick wife in hospital alone as all exemptions are void, no joy ftom consulates etc
Its a bit of a strange one to be honest and not very well thought out IMO travel restrictions, stay at home but leave or stay and possibly go to jail, will do tourism and investment so much good, couldnt make it up

Few hours ago, the Italian Ambassy in Jakarta annunced that Immigrasi offices will allow, starting from march 20, Emergency Visa for italian tourists with VOA expiring.

Few hours ago, the Italian Ambassy in Jakarta annunced that Immigrasi offices will allow, starting from march 20, Emergency Visa for italian tourists with VOA expiring.

Total "NO CHANCE" here regardless of nationality or visa held, immigration very firm no and leave regardless if dependants/ marriied etc. Zero respect from me cant wait to leave this place absolute disgraceful how all expats are being treated under such circumstances

3 confirmed in Batam, took them 3 days to confirm but the island already knew

Needs confirmation but just been told

Energency legislation just passed to grant all foreigners and extension to the Visas effective tomorrow

What is so ridiculous is the very small number of people that have been tested for Covid-19. It is certain that once they start testing in much larger numbers then the number of cases of those infected is going to increase very rapidly. So many people are still not self-isolating too, where I live it seems life goes on as usual.

Our kids are doing e-class and being able to watch the teachers in action I am shocked at the poor grammar shown by one of my kids English teachers. He says he will try better today.

Time to order food delivery from the supermarket....

I was virus checked, or at least had a thermometer pointed at my head, twice yesterday, once in a fridge repair place, the second when I book my  jalopy in for service.
Bit pointless but it keeps them happy so I let them go for it.

Yes it's kind of pointless. I stayed at a hotel yesterday with my daughter. At check-in the receptionist pointed the thermometer at my head and then my daughters, our readings were both 34 deg C.

Shill88 wrote:

Yes it's kind of pointless. I stayed at a hotel yesterday with my daughter. At check-in the receptionist pointed the thermometer at my head and then my daughters, our readings were both 34 deg C.

These people are untrained in anway and wouldnt trust them or the equipment

I would go to your nearest hospital  NOT a doctor immediately you both have hypothemia at 34c

At 34 deg C we'd both be dead by now. And she had the nerve to tell me that our temperatures were both normal....lol

Ecactly mate lol

Gwmeath wrote:

Total "NO CHANCE" here regardless of nationality or visa held, immigration very firm no and leave regardless if dependants/ marriied etc. Zero respect from me cant wait to leave this place absolute disgraceful how all expats are being treated under such circumstances

Today immigration offices in Bali (but its valid for all indonesian offices) started to release the emergency stay permit to Italian tourist who have their VOA expired and all the exapts who need a visa run abroad to renew their Visa.

Been shopping. Hardly anyone around but the shelves are fully stocked and there are no shortages of anything. People, I'm happy to report, are being sensible. Online shopping is easily available so there's absolutely no need to buy anything other than whatever your normal shopping trip see you pick up.

Online shopping is quite difficult where we live because the supermarket's website is overloaded. Now there is a message on their site telling people that delivery will take 2 - 3 days. Been trying to place an order since last night but their customer service hotline told us they are struggling keeping up with the orders.

Even on their website, you can find things in the early morning and by 10am they are sold out. Really annoying.

I may have to make a visit to the supermarket tomorrow, with mask, plastic gloves and wet wipes and hand sanitizer in my pockets. Super market opens at 6am so usually hardly anyone there at that hour. Really prefer to stay at home for safety as I'm not a tough hero type character, but perhaps no choice tomorrow.

Just order some online - Order 2 days ago, arrived this afternoon.
Absolutely no problem.

Curry - Yummy

Electronics - Yummy

Jakarta and Tangerang have declared emergencies and lots of businesses, large and mall, have closed for the moment.
Schools planned to be out for two weeks but it's unlikely they're start normal lessons for some time, many in the game suggesting the new school year. For those with grade 6, 8, 10, or 12 students taking Cambridge exams, they've been cancelled worldwide, and it looks like UN for all is the same.

The good news is most are sensible, not spreading idiotic rumours, and not panic buying. Some are, but you expect a bit of that. Many businesses are testing people with IR thermometers as they enter.

The trick is avoid crowds, chose where you go, and when you go there, AND keep in mind most people with this disease will get better by themselves without any need for medical care.

Sensible wins.

Not so much luck where we live Fred. Placed the order last week, and were told be the supermarket chain and by friends who have ordered themselves that it takes around 5 working days before your order gets delivered. Clearly it depends where you live and the supermarket involved. But today the supermarket told us they are totally inundated by online orders. However, we did manage to replace a couple of Aqua gallon bottles, that brings us up to 7 full gallons. The only thing is that the water delivery company doesn't have any delivery people now so everyone has to go and collect the bottles themselves.

Apparently, in Bali, tourists are forming very long queues in order to get their visas extended for another month and ceremonies continue with hundreds of spectators. The idea of social distancing seems not to have reached Bali yet. I can only wonder how many Balinese have the virus especially considering the tourist industry and the way that Balinese families are so close.

Imigrasi.go.id

Has information
I understand them ftom Oz continue to be refused, UK passport holders no problems since friday, i would imagine Oz embassy working closley with indonesians otherwise bye bye and a bag full of AUS$

I understood too that there are no more visa free entry being given and that all visitors to Indonesia now need to obtain a visa from their nearest Indonesian Embassy and will require a letter of health from a GP to be submitted with their application.

Crowds are at least getting less than before and I think hoarding is basically over and most people are ordering from their supermarkets online or buying from food carts in their neighbourhoods.

Agree with Fred that schools are unlikely to reopen anytime soon, and even if they wanted to I know that the parents of kids in our school would refuse so I wouldn't be surprised if these e-classes continue until the end of next term.

The wife stopped ordering food in quite some time back in February for possibilities of contamination, im working from home (playing with kids) all this month so far as i told the company im putting zero exposure as much as possible to my family that wasnt even negotiable so just a few emails and calls a day and i have told them it wont change for some time. I did go to get some longlife milk yesterday (box of 10 so no grubby hands and easy to clean) and the mall i tend to use has lower stock now and has local police within the mall keeping an eye out for whatever reason, its also very quiet and many shops closed

Hopefully the food supplies will last but everyone should keep enough food for at least 2 weeks to a month.

It looks like Indonesia has only tested 2.8k people so far compared to places like south Korea 330k.

So if you don't test you won't know until people starts dying.

Things will get worse in Jakarta in coming days.

Smoke screen, no problem here, move along now

Shops are full of everything but shoppers.
Everything is available, even toilet rolls

I'm out shopping at the moment. There are a few people about  but social distancing is hardly a problem.
The shelves are full of everything except rice krispies.

Zero problem, and not even close to enough panic buying fools to even think about buying any more than normal.

Where we live, the supermarket chain will delivery what they have on your list, and then refund whatever has run out of stock, the refund arriving a couple of days later. We went to Indomaret and Superindo this morning although I really hate going to Superindo. The place was too full for my liking and of course everyone wearing face masks. We keep 70% Alcohol hand sanitizer and 60% one as well and wet wipes in the car, so had to clean up before driving away from the place. We didn't like that so will make another order for delivery today.

Official Indonesian government site

https://www.covid19.go.id/