Dengue is now a serious issue in Bali

Before proceeding with the rest of this post, I highly recommend reading the following article from what has often been called “Bali's Truth Minister” the news outlet of Bali Discovery. 

https://balidiscovery.com/news/a-failur … is-in-bali

As I write, virtually every clinic and hospital within a reasonable distance from Ubud, in Gianyar Regency, is full to capacity with Dengue patients.  As a long term expatriate resident of Ubud, I can unequivocally state that I have never witnessed anything like this, nor has any local I know.  At the same time, it is not my intention or desire to be an alarmist, or to spread rumor or false information.

Rather than repeat the wealth of information about Dengue available on the internet, I would rather offer some particular points that are often not stressed or fully discussed.

-Early diagnosis of this disease is essential.  Many of its initial symptoms are common to simple traveler's diarrhea or the common flu, such as a fever, vomiting and diarrhea, head aches and joint pain. 

-The incubation period for Dengue averages around ten days.  As a result, travelers can often be back home before these symptoms manifest themselves and thus Dengue can be confused with, or considered to be something else. 

-The most dangerous and potentially deadly aspects of Dengue…its hemorrhagic aspects, often come on suddenly and without much, if any, advance warning.  It is this particular aspect of the worse of the Dengue strains that emphasizes the need for proper testing and treatment at its earliest stages.

-The Aedes aegypti species of mosquito, which is the sole carrier of Dengue (females only), is unlike other species of mosquito most familiar to westerners.  It does not give off that tell tale signal of high pitched buzzing sound while flying, nor do its bites generally result in large and itchy welts.   

So…why now?  What is causing this dramatic increase in Dengue? 

Unquestionably, this is the result of climate change, and in particular, global warming.  Just like our brothers down south in Australia, we are experiencing much higher than normal temperatures this rainy season.  The breeding capacity of the Aedes aegypti mosquito is greatly enhanced by greater warmth. 

My bottom line…be aware, be smart, and take precautions.

Very interesting and good post, I've noticed certainly over the last few years the increase with dengue cases especially between Singapore and batam, and it doesn't appear to be letting up, going away from Dengue typhus fever is massively on the increase here also. I know it is mostly a south East Asian concern but everyone knows someone with this or has recovered from it including my own kids

Climate change is causing many a problem in Indonesia, increasing Dengue being one of them.
The old advice remains true - Mossie cream and long sleeves/trousers at night.

Fred wrote:

Mossie cream and long sleeves/trousers at night.

I already pointed this out to someone on this forum, maybe it was you :P: the mosquito that spreads dengue is most active during daylight!

For whatever local folklore is worth (and I value it highly), the hours of dawn and dusk is when these critters seem to be most active…breakfast and dinner perhaps?    :o

In any event, the precautions that Fred mentions should wisely be taken day and night.