Investing in Belgium

Hello everyone,

During your expatriation in Belgium, you might have been made aware of interesting investment schemes (local or international). Whether one wants to make money grow, protect oneself or prepare for retirement, investment is always an attractive option. It is, however, never free of risk. Would you, therefore, like to share some practical information for other expats and expats to be?

Is the Belgian economy open to foreign investment? Do local authorities encourage investment (through formalities, tax etc.)?

What are the promising sectors to invest and do business in Belgium?

Who do you turn to for information before investing your money? (organisation, professional, lawyer, consultant)

According to the sectors of activity and the projects, what budget should be foreseen for an investment in Belgium?

What do you think are the pitfalls to avoid and what advice would you give someone who wants to invest?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Diksha

Okay, first things first: I'm an independent financial adviser who has been working with clients in Belgium since 2010.

Belgium is one of the best places in the world to be rich and one of the worst places in the world to get rich (TM)!

That's because it's possible to invest in Belgium virtually free of all taxes.

The catch? Very few people are aware of how to do this.

Because Belgium has traditionally had low taxes on investments, there was seen to be no need to protect the investments against taxes, unless many millions were being invested. As banks deduct the necessary taxes for their clients, many people assume that there is no tax to pay anyway, but there is a big difference between tax-free and tax-paid!

If we contrast this with individual savings accounts (ISAs) in the UK, which are also virtually free of all taxes, everyone who has even a few hundred pounds will either have an ISA or will be offered an ISA on a regular basis (e.g. every time you enter your bank). The main difference between the two countries is that the maximum investment into an ISA in the UK is £20,000 per year and in Belgium there is no limit.

Simply reply to this message if you'd like to know more!

Hi Andrew,

Thats really interesting and good info. Could you advise on the options available in Belgium for expat investments other than real estate.
Can expats invest in bonds, Share or any safe investments possible.

Regards,
Sid

hi im jonas i live in belgium and im 16 years old

i looked up how to get into investing when underage but not a lot has come up about belgium

all i see is ''open up a Roth ira or isa in the uk but nothing about belgium is it the same as in the uk
and what is the best thing to do when im underage and trying to understand it all

thank you in advance

jonas maes

I can help you Jonas. Give me an idea of  what you have in mind- how much and for how long etc

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I should have added that I am a financial adviser, a qualified actuary, and doing this since 1996. I have another client who started rather young, and he is doing quite well. But a lot depends what you want and how you define "quite well".

Hi michael

so im tryna get a job atm because im young and every thing i earn i can invest or save
i dont know alot
i watched some youtube videos about the s&p 500 and how its a good long term investment
but i dont know how i can make a isa account or whatever it is
or if it is even legal at my age in belgium

thank you for trying to help
jonas maes

The best way to start is to learn about high ticket affiliate marketing. You need no products, no customer services, no warehouses, no dropshipping knowledge, Look up clickfunnels, kartra, groovefunnels and clickbank.
Vladimir

hi vladimir

this is like a side hustle right?
to get some money to invest?

thank you for your response

jonas maes

This is true...
I found a website legit. I worked few month with them.
[ [link moderated] ]