Lonely expat in Patong

I have lived in Phuket for 2 years now. I moved here with a long term partner, who unfortunately decided he no longer wanted to continue our relationship after meeting a Thai woman.

We worked for the same company, so I decided it was best I left for my own sake as it was too painful to stay. I considered relocating to a new country, but was offered a new opportunity elsewhere in Phuket and decided I was not yet ready to leave this incredible country.

My new workplace has over 25 employees, and I am the only female. I knew this may be difficult, but I didn't realise quite how isolating this would feel. Patong is full of people, but in the 3 months I've been here so far I am yet to make any serious friendships, especially with females. I am yet to meet a single female expat, and although I love male friendships, in this town they all seem to want one thing. I have searched for meet ups etc, but they are all miles from me and I am not yet that confident on my motorbike. All events in this area are parties, but I'd love to do something other than that.

I guess I am just feeling lonely. All of my work friends have partners, and like to just spend their time at home with them which I understand. I miss having girl chats, or friendships where we have a serious connection. I am finding this so much harder than I thought. Moving home or to another country is not an option as my dog is too ill to take with me. She was expected by vets to live just a few weeks, but 8 months later she's still going strong.

I guess I would just love any advice, maybe even a little cheering up. I'm not someone who will sit at home and feel sorry for myself. I do keep busy in hopes I will meet other like minded people, but so far no luck. Everyone is on holiday, and as soon as we make a friendship, they leave most likely never to return. I now feel glued to my phone as that is the only way I have a social life. I have been on a few nights out on my own and met loads of fun people, but I hate that I have to drink alcohol to meet anyone.

How are you all feeling? I love being an expat here and don't want to give it up yet. I just didn't expect it would be this hard so many months into my relocation.

Hi Steff,

You aren't alone feeling that way..

Let me introduce myself - Harry from India. I am a finance and accounting consultant and moved here September last year. The first month went by quickly in finding a place to rent, getting adjusted to food and new work space.

Later on as I settled in and continued my usual routine, I started to feel lonely after work hours as everyone disappears into their own lives. Nobody seemed to care and find out how I was doing or did I need some local tips.

I came home to find myself lonely, my family is back home in India and visits me for sometime as my daughter has her academic year going on.

Guess that is enough said - don't mean to bog you down. But yes, the bright side being Bangkok is good. Has its own pros and cons but I am quite liking it here.

How is Patong? The weather, people the food..

Cheers
Harry

Hello Harry!

Lovely to meet you. It's also surprising to hear that you feel a similar way. I almost feel guilty for not enjoying every moment in Thailand as some people could only dream of living here. But I guess, no matter where you are you need those connections with people.

I'm sorry to hear that you're also lonely and I totally agree with your situation. My work friends too have their own lives and there is no space for anyone else. They don't seem to realise how lonely I am, even though I have mentioned it. I don't want to rely on them for my happiness, and have gone it alone this long trying to find my own friends away from work but it's impossible when no one actually stays here long term.

If I were in Bangkok I would be sure to invite you for a coffee! You sound like an interesting person 😊 I do hope things get better for you. Living away from home can be so tough without a support network.

Patong so far has been pretty good. There is every type of food imaginable, and the weather has been great! Im a short drive away from an incredible beach, but it's not the same on your own. It's very busy, which i actually like because it makes me feel less alone. I know this area is not for everyone. It's mostly for party people on holiday, but I like it for now.

How about Bangkok

Thanks again for reaching out. I really appreciate it.

Steff.

Hi Steff,

Thank you for sharing

I am a Singaporean native working and residing in Bangkok for almost 3 years. It's not too far from home (2 hour flight) so I do go home sometimes

I couldn't have planned for my dad's sudden demise couple of years back and my mum is all alone back home.

She sometimes visit me but she is not a big fan of Thailand.

I have a pet cat here and he keeps me company.

You're right, it's never easy and we must always find ways to move on in spite of our shortcomings and challenges. You sound very positive minded and I hope you continue to live life to the fullest.

I wish you nothing but success

Best,
jwny

Dear Steff,

I was a little upset reading your post as I understand what a burden loneliness can be.

I cannot offer you anything except someone to talk to.  I am married here in Thailand and have been for a long time.

If you think having someone to write to and [possibly] in the future talk to on Skype will help you please feel free to contact me.

Sorry to read about your dog.  I lost my Bang Kaew in November but have replaced him now.  Thai Bang Kaews are such a beautiful dog.

Kind Regards,

Keith

HI Steff,

My name is Gordon. I am a 72 year old South African and moved to Patong 3 weeks ago on a 1 year non-immigrant visa.

Although I do have a Thai girlfriend, and I lived here for some months last year, I have the same problem as you do. It is really difficult meeting other expats, whether male or female, old or young. It seems to me that you need to live in the bars in order to meet people. Even then most men seem to want to sit alone in their own world, or with a Thai lady.

I am retired, so I don't have work contacts as you do. I enjoy life here, the weather, the food, easy living, friendly and helpful Thai people. If I had a few faring friends to chat to in English I would have everything I want.

I would be happy to buy you a cup of coffee, anytime.

Cheers,

Gordon

May I suggest that to make the most loneliness time more worthy in life. Let's set your spirit calm and free from all attachments by stat to learn how to meditate. You can go to this place if you still in Phuket it may train your minds to be less suffering. 145 Phangnga Rd, Tambon Talat Yai, Mueang Phuket District, Phuket 83000

and if you were in Bangkok please welcome to learn on meditation.

@Steff4296

Hello Steph

It's June 2022.

I have recently arrived in Patong as a retiree and also looking to make social contacts outside of bars.

I worked in the Middle East and there we had a breakfast club and we met once a week on the the weekend.

It turned out to be very successful as it provided social contact with others outside of work.

If you're still in Patong and are interested in being a founding member of a breakfast group lmk as I would be keen to get a group started.
@williamzumpe I am an early retiree now making my home in Phuket. Moved here a couple months ago without knowing a soul, although I'd been here numerous times before on holiday while living in Singapore, so I knew I'd enjoy the lifestyle.

Your breakfast club idea is a fantastic one, I'd be interested to join as well!
I'm in Bangkok, and I'm not a retiree (yet! Can't wait)--Im actually in my mid 40s, but I've always gotten along better with the generation above me. (Not that I'm conservative, quite the opposite--Ive been here almost 20 years and I got introduced to Thailand by the Vietnam Vets...)

I'd like to do something like this on Sunday mornings in Bangkok, as it is the only time one can move around freely with limited traffic. Although any club would still have to be fairly close graphically.

I don't know what I'm proposing, obviously I'm not a candidate for the Patong Group, but I wouldn't mind starting something here if anyone else is online around the Suang Luang/Prawet/Bang Na/Ramkamhaeng/Pattanakarn area.

And I'd also wouldn't mind hanging out with a crew born earlier than 1980 at the most! Unless you're an old soul, all you've been in Thailand for a long time. (I'm already putting conditions on my group that doesn't exist!)

But I wouldn't mind a Breakfast Club. For the Generation X and older.

Actually, I'm sounding a little bit like a dick. Anyone who wants to form a breakfast Club, who am I to say that you're too young, or that you haven't been here long enough!

How about this: we leave American-type politics out of the conversations, and recollections of your last trip to soy cowboy can last 3 and 1/2 minutes at most (unless you got robbed or something funny happened...).

I think I'm probably done enough to scare off anyone from wanting to have breakfast with me. Ever. But I think a breakfast club is a great idea for those of us that have gotten a little bit weird they have to spending a decade or two here... And never bad for business either...
@kevp123

Kev,

You ever get really lonely and you're passing through Bangkok, give me a text. I've been here (Southeast Asia) almost 20 years now, but most of my close friends are in Laos or Cambodia or Malaysia or wherever... I was a consultant and most of my friends were consultants, and we moved around.

We all loved Cambodia and Laos, so we spend as much time there as we could, but there's only so much work you can get out of one country before you got to move around a bit.

I started a business here also. That was another issue for me. I love Cambodia more than anything, but I wouldn't start a business there unless I came to really trust and love a Cambodian (and I mean in the platonic sense) to be my business partner.

They're still too much violence over money in PNH, and there's no way to form a company without giving your Khmer partner his control (like in a Thai ltd. in Thailand).

I am a lawyer here, and I've made it a rule to stop becoming friends with my clients. I learned that after about 10 years of mistakes. So I don't make a lot of new potential friends. I have plenty of Thai friends, and Thai female friends (platonic!) and my wife is fantastic, but not many white guys! (I know that's different from most farang here...).

Anyway, you can give me an email at ***
Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : No contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
@Steff4296

Hi we are mature Aussie couple visiting Patong July 30 to August 12 we come regular
@Steff4296
Hobbies? Join clubs doing these hobbies if possible.
Gym?
Or consider re-location to Chiang Mai, which most say is better for expats etc.
I'm still in Sydney, move to CM delayed - but have read and researched lots.
I have a list of clubs I'm interested in joining and already contacted some.

@Steff4296

Hi

I just seen your written. Are you still in Patong? Or relocate somewhere?  I can feel you how lonely you are. Anyway wish a lot of luck in your future.