Partner Sponsor Visa and Mortgages

Hello everyone!

Its great if you know the answer, but if not, maybe you know a lawyer that could put me in contact with?

So..

My girlfriend has sponsored me to stay in the Netherlands. We live together in the house she owns. Our financials are separate.

I am wondering if I am allowed to purchase a house on my own? Would I need to be registered there and would that affect my visa situation? Does she need to sign anything and does it affect her mortgage?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

It's not impossible.  However, if you're not registered, you won't have a BSN number, without a BSN number you can't open a bank account or be registered with the Dutch taxman, which means no mortgage and more importantly, no tax rebate on the mortgage payments.  So it becomes very difficult unless you have a lot of money and want to pay cash.  That said, you can't be unregistered, which by law you must do within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands, so you will be able to open a bank account etc etc.

Visa should have no impact with you buying a house, they are not related.  She doesn't sign anything, your visa, registration and bank account are all personal issues.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi!

Thank you for your response! I do have a bsn , bank account, and am currently registered at her house.

For a new mortgage (depending on the type), I believe that I need to be registered at the mortgage location.

But my visa also requires that I live with her.. or maybe that is just at the time of applying for the visa.. I am not sure.

So that is why I want to be sure registering somewhere else would not effect my visa.

Thanks

netherlandsquestions987 wrote:

Hi!

Thank you for your response! I do have a bsn , bank account, and am currently registered at her house.

For a new mortgage (depending on the type), I believe that I need to be registered at the mortgage location.

But my visa also requires that I live with her.. or maybe that is just at the time of applying for the visa.. I am not sure.

So that is why I want to be sure registering somewhere else would not effect my visa.

Thanks

Hi again.

If you're buying to move into, then you just notify the Gemeente when you move - it's no problem.

If you're buying to rent it out, then make sure you tell your bank as some don't allow it - which I think is the "need to be registered there" thing you mention.

If you are in the Netherlands on a partnership visa, then you do need to live with your partner, although once you qualify for residence in your own right (I think 5 years), that requirement goes away.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Ok I see now. Thank you for your help!!