Relocation to Saigon

Hello there
I’m in the middle of an hiring process for a job with a global brand (I luckily worked for already) in Saigon.
In case I’m accepting the job I’d like to find out how life in Saigon is for an expat family.
I’d be relocating with a 1,5 year old child and my partner (not married).
How is life in general? Especially with a child. Child care, pre school etc. cost of living, housing...
so many questions.
How did you adapt to the climate? Socializing?
I’d be very thankful for any kind of feedback.
Merci :)

Hi Samberlin,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

For a good start, i would advise you to go through the Vietnam expat guide, you will find a lot of information about different important aspects to consider when you are expatriating to Vietnam.

I also strongly recommend you to go through the various topics already discussed in the Vietnam forum, you will find complementary information as well as pieces of advice from our dear members.

Hope it helps,

Priscilla

Well, Saigon is just about what you would expect from a city of 10 million plus in a developing country located in the tropics.

Hot, humid, noisy, crowded, congested, polluted, prone to flooding in the rainy season...

It's not all bad of course, but in general, 5 days there is enough for me.

Go to youtube.com and search for "life in Saigon".  You will see both the good and the bad.

Life in Saigon:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ … +in+saigon

Having lived in Saigon for over 5 years,I can tell you its not somewhere I would want to raise a child.

On the topic of the child, may I suggest that you negotiate with your employer for payment of tuition.  Foreign children may not attend Vietnamese public schools, even if they speak the language, and tuition at international schools is very high.  There are many threads on this subject.  (Sorry but I just noticed that your child is 1,5 years, not 15.  As an American, I am not used to the comma convention  :dumbom: )  Depending on the length of your contract, you still might want to broach the topic with your employer as pre-school is not that far off.

Another consideration is your partner's visa status.  There is a visa category for spouses and children of employees holding work permits and temporary residence cards but that will probably not apply for your partner.  She (?) may be faced with a series of tourist visas and runs to Cambodia every 90 days. 

Depending on how high up you are in the company, you might want to discuss having a car and driver, if not for everyday use then for holidays within the country.

In general, if you are retaining your European salary level you will likely be quite comfortable relative to most expats and certainly most locals.

"Another consideration is your partner's visa status.  There is a visa category for spouses and children of employees holding work permits and temporary residence cards but that will probably not apply for your partner.  She (?) may be faced with a series of tourist visas and runs to Cambodia every 90 days."

From what I read on here it might be a visa run every month from July 2020.....right?

unionjack :
THIGV :

Another consideration is your partner's visa status.  There is a visa category for spouses and children of employees holding work permits and temporary residence cards but that will probably not apply for your partner.  She (?) may be faced with a series of tourist visas and runs to Cambodia every 90 days

From what I read on here it might be a visa run every month from July 2020.....right?

It certainly appears that YOU are correct:

expat. com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=879403