How difficult it is to buy property in Hungary

One of my friends currently living in Russia is planning to move to Hungary, but he prefers to buy property in Budapest downtown, instead of renting. He is not concerned about the property prices but rather the procedure, mainly the length and difficulty of it.

If you are a foreigner who already bought a property in Hungary or is buying constantly, please share your experience.

Also any good portals, helpful guides would be interesting to read.

Many many thanks

Rob_Soos wrote:

He is not concerned about the property prices

Oh. Goodie. Another Russian Oligarch spreading his money around in the EU..... Special. What else is he not caring about if he can pay the price?

klsallee wrote:
Rob_Soos wrote:

He is not concerned about the property prices

Oh. Goodie. Another Russian Oligarch spreading his money around in the EU..... Special. What else is he not caring about if he can pay the price?

Hungarian looking for information about Italy
And you are asking?  :/

That was helpful, thanks.

I am not sure if you meant that he has so much money that price is not a problem, or if you mean that it simply shouldn't be considered in this discussion...
If he has a ton of money, one assumes he has the ability to hire a good lawyer to answer any questions and ensure a smooth process.

For myself, I recommend getting a Budapest lawyer. Any property purchase will need to be registered properly to be recognized and there are too many charlatans who can work the system to be comfortable with risking it (at least at my level of risk tolerance).
If you simply want to browse properties, try ingatlan.com
Yes, it's in Hungarian, but it has the best search / filtering of any site and could also introduce you to registered real estate agents here in Bp.

Hey Vicces1,

Thanks for the response, actually to clarify. He is not concerned about the Bp prices compared to the public opinion of Hungarians...He still believes that there is good yield opportunity compared to other parts of Europe.

I told him the same as you, to reach out to a lawyer, but he wants to meet one already prepared, and knowing the basics.

In case you have read some good article for non-eu members pls drop it in response.

Thx

klsalle,

Just to let you know, he is:
1 - not a Russian (currently lives there)
2 - not an oligarch but a college dropout
3 - he is not throwing money out of the window but seeks to invest

I believe your generalizing, sarcastic and ignorant tone was only due to a bad day you had.

Honestly, simply Google buying property in Hungary then.

eeeeeeh, yes but I hoped I'd be able to tell my friend a couple of real life experience...

Google wise these were helpful though:
and this one as well with some more numbers and yield calculations
*** A guide to fees and taxes on Budapest real estate investments
Still if someone deals with foreign buyers, drop a reply or PM,
Thanks

Moderated by Loïc 4 years ago
Reason : external link
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct