New members of the Wales forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Wales forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Wales if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Greetings from Boston! My husband and I are interested in retiring to Wales next spring. We would love to get intel on how easy/hard it is to get residency; how that may be affected by Brexit, and suggestions of best places to live. We are inspired by a wonderful visit we had and the beauty of the coast &  countryside and all the history and culture.

Boston Meg wrote:

Greetings from Boston! My husband and I are interested in retiring to Wales next spring. We would love to get intel on how easy/hard it is to get residency; how that may be affected by Brexit, and suggestions of best places to live. We are inspired by a wonderful visit we had and the beauty of the coast &  countryside and all the history and culture.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Not easy because the UK doesn't offer retirement visas to anybody.  Practically the only way for a US citizen to gain residence in the UK is to come here on a work visa and then stay long enough to qualify for permanent residence; which generally means you working for a further 5 years and even then there's no guarantee.

Brexit has nothing to do with this matter, simply because national immigration for non-EU citizens within the EU has always been a sovereign matter; not all EU countries will take retired people; for a US citizen, I think Portugal is probably the best in as much as they have a specific retiree program (you can read more about it here).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Our family is currently in the USA but have been looking into different places to move, a five year plan so we can save money.
We recently started looking into Wales. My distant cousins lived in Wales until their deaths.
I am 45, my partner is 67, and my son is 21. I don't know if my son plans to join us with the move. My partner receives a retirement income (not much), and I work in direct support with adults who have developmental disabilities. I also have 15 years of dental assisting experience.
I was just looking into the different requirements to live in Wales. My job did not appear in the high demand category, of course.  From what I read, it looks like it would be difficult to get the visa required for working and living there. I'm feeling a bit sad about that. I would truly love to move from here once we have enough money saved.

dianabeideman wrote:

Our family is currently in the USA but have been looking into different places to move, a five year plan so we can save money.
We recently started looking into Wales. My distant cousins lived in Wales until their deaths.
I am 45, my partner is 67, and my son is 21. I don't know if my son plans to join us with the move. My partner receives a retirement income (not much), and I work in direct support with adults who have developmental disabilities. I also have 15 years of dental assisting experience.
I was just looking into the different requirements to live in Wales. My job did not appear in the high demand category, of course.  From what I read, it looks like it would be difficult to get the visa required for working and living there. I'm feeling a bit sad about that. I would truly love to move from here once we have enough money saved.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You've about summed it up.  The UK is introducing a new Immigration system at the end of this year; this link will take you to the UK Gov website where they explain the whole thing.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello all, I have a job in Muscat and I will be coming there in a few week's time. Please can someone help me with what to do upon arrival. I need to look for an accommodation and later on a car. Any advice would be hugely appreciated
Shah

Welcome to the Forum

Do you mean Muscat the Capital of Oman? Then you need to ask in the Oman Forum. This link will take you there.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=916116

Thanks!

Closed