New members of the Peru forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Peru forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Peru if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hola: I am a 75 year old Canadian retiree who has been lining in Peru with my Peruvian wife for 13 years.We had moved 10 times within Peru during  the first ten years and for the last 3 we have lived in San Isidro.My Spanish is poor even though I have studied every day for the last 7 years.
I would like to communicate with other Peruvian expats

I'm originally from Germany and after having lived in Brazil, Hungary, Portugal, and Mexico, I'm now in Peru with a work visa as the CEO of my own company. As I work online, it doesn't really matter where I am as long as I have good internet. However, I prefer to be in places where I speak the language (Hungarian was a real challenge, though). Don't know yet how long I will stay here.

Hello Nuria70,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Thank you for the introduction.

Do you have any questions you would like to ask our members who are already in Peru?

Do not hesitate to share your experience as a new expat in Peru by posting a new topic on the Peru forum.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hello, Bill 50, plan on moving to Peru in 15 years. I am an American and unfortunately do not speak Spanish. I will study, but not sure how far that will get me. I am a welder, machinist, fabricator with many skills. I'm hoping to find a nice community to retire in, yet still tinker in my trade.

Hi, I'm planning to retire to Peru in the not too distant future with my dog. I can't afford to live in the UK anymore and I'm not sure I want to as at my age I've seen most of it , beautiful as much of it is. However I'm not sure I'm too keen on English culture any more.
From my brief research so far it seems the way to go is to fly out as a Brit without any need for a visa (with dog in tow), then apply for this rentista visa in country. Probably then finding temporary accommodation whilst searching for a long term place to rent. Then perhaps getting a small car. Does this sound about right?

Spanish is easier to learn than most other languages.  That's part of the beauty of Spanish.  Plus if you have lived in the U.S. you probably have picked up some words already.  The obvious ones are taco, rodeo, hombre, lasso, si.  senorita, senor.  No is the same.   gracias, Dios, doctor or doctora.  Medicina, etc.  It is the second language of the U.S. anyway.

Maybe I am oversimplifying it, but it is a start.  I am fluent thanks to my parents from Cuba.   I took some French once...painful to learn with all its crazy accents.  I'll take Spanish anytime over French, etc.

I appreciate more now that I am Spanish speaker for when I move to Peru.

I am married to a Peruvian.  I speak fluent Spanish.

DeleBelly wrote:

From my brief research so far it seems the way to go is to fly out as a Brit without any need for a visa (with dog in tow), then apply for this rentista visa in country.

Welcome to the Peru forums of expat.com, DeleBelly.

Usually this thread is for new member introductions only.  However, your concept that you might enter Peru without a visa is worded in a potentially misleading way.  So I am responding.

Enter Peru with a passport that will be valid well past the Peru entry date.  At the Lima airport, you can expect to receive a visa stamp -- not called a visa -- good for up to 90 days.  In advance, learn the requirements for applying in Peru for a rentista visa or another visa that may be appropriate in your case.

----

For advice on your other questions/issues, please post on a new thread or an existing thread such as the New Member thread started today on this forum by Lino Ugarte.

cccmedia
member, expat.com experts team

I was thinking Peru, Indonesia or maybe Panama? I think Peru attracts me the most because of the landscape and history, also the prices.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=916055

Thanks!

Closed