New members of the Mauritius forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mauritius forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mauritius if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Julien and Mauritius expat community!

We are a family of four moving to Mauritius from Canada in August and couldn't be more excited but nervous at the same time. We have two small children and are interested in learning all there is about the country as we've never been!
My husband is a contractor and I work in the IT services and analytics world. We are moving primarily for the climate, slower pace of life, and to spend more time together as a family.

We are looking for any advice you may have on your experiences moving to Mauritius, best places to settle down, best place to buy building materials, food etc.

Looking forward to connecting with all of you!

Hi My name is Maggie im already in the country.
Im looking to rent my newly built house
Its in st pierre petit verger.

Hello,  I'm Adam coming to Mauritius next week looking for accommodation

Hello, What is your price? I want a room.

Hello everyone and welcome to Expat.Com  :)

Thank you very much for your introduction. Since you are new to the forum, let me just explain briefly how it works.

For those who want to know about formalities and how to move to Mauritius, the Living in Mauritius guide will provide you all the primary information.

Those who have already made up their mind and are looking for more personalised answers, i would suggest you do some research on the forum section (most of your queries have already been discussed).

- Mauritius forum (you may browse through the different categories) or use the search tab next to the magnifying glass.

Also, feel free to create your own thread on the forum so that members can reach out and answer your queries. One question per thread please as it will be more convenient.

On a side note, if you are looking for or offering accommodation, job and so on, please drop an advert in the corresponding section

- Housing in Mauritius

- Jobs in Mauritius

Thank you very much and enjoy the forum,
Bhavna

Hello, my name is Sakil. I am a Mathematics teacher in a college in Mauritius. I have teaching experience from UK as well. There are English speaking schools as well as French speaking schools in the North of Mauritius.

As you must have learnt that Mauritius is a tropical Island, we have only summer and winter as weather. The lowest temperature in winter is aboit 14 degrees celsius. The weather is really good. [ i had studied for a Masters in Vancouver Canada. i know how the weather is like in Canada]. As far as construction materials are concerned, there are many building shops around in the North as many bungalows, hotels, apartments are often constructed / renovated.

The people of Mauritius are courteous and helpful. its very safe to leave in Mauritius.

Moderated by Diksha last month
Reason : Please post an advert in the Housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am interested of coming to mauritius, it a place of loving.i  am from Nigerial and i will be glad if u can assist me of getting mauritius working visa ,i like to stay dere, my name isABEH ADEDAYO JAMES.
Thanks for ur concern

Good morning, I am currently visiting Mauritius and wil be here permanently from 1 May 2020 working and living in Grand Baie. How and where do I buy wifi and a new Mauritian simcard? Which wifi is the best value for money? Which cellphone network is the best to use? Can we buy airtime and data on a contract in Mauritius? I am absolutely in love with Mauritius! Melanie

Dear Magie

Please contact me on +230 XXX

Regards

Kevin Rawoteea

Moderated by Julien last week
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Kevin, Hi,

the title of the thread is "New members of the Mauritius forum, introduce yourselves here"... Could you please introduce yourself before posting your phone number? thanks !

Emtel is the best value for money. I have bought mine yesterday.  Google Emtel.

Hello.

My name is Scott and I am in the country for a few months on an integration project.  I work for a global packaging company that has a diverse portfolio of work in many different countries.  As an accountant, I specialize in internal controls and general accounting topics. 

I'm enjoying my time here and am looking for social opportunities to meet new people and experience all this country has to offer.  I welcome any suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi Alice,

We are almost in the same boat as you and I have shifted to Mauritius just a few months back.

On the reasons you have given you are spot on. Life is slow but beautiful here. Food is not a problem you have most of the things available and we have chains of supermarket which are well stocked and caters to all our needs.

A Canadian couple has just moved to our neghibourhood from Middle East where they were working.

The place is nice, good roads, availibility of all essential services, good schools, good medical and the costal beauty.

As regards where to stay everyone has his own opinion but to me North made sence as we also have children who are now grown up but at the time of finding the place they were keen on North as it is comparitively more happening.

Hope the above information gives you a basic idea of someone who has also just moved in.

Regards,

Rajiv Khanna