Anyone have any further info on this upcoming tourist visa change?

UPDATE THIS MORNING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4Hfh7nZ6M:D

goodolboy wrote:

UPDATE THIS MORNING

That sounds pleasing:) I would be okay with that for sure. Extra 30 bucks wont kill me and it is much better than annoying Cambodia border run :)

Dan911 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

UPDATE THIS MORNING

That sounds pleasing:) I would be okay with that for sure. Extra 30 bucks wont kill me and it is much better than annoying Cambodia border run :)

Even better if true, its only 20usd cos only have to do it twice then make ususl 90 days visa run....right? :D

I really wish he wouldn't do videos while riding around and can't keep his breath.  Either stop riding while recording or get into better shape.

Additional information on the 1 July 2020 visa rule changes:

https://vietnamnews.vn/society/652929/v … anges.html

Not sure how getting a stamp every month is going to stop criminals and illegal workers. It's all about gouging more funds, its as simple as that.

Dan911 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

UPDATE THIS MORNING

This was always going to be the outcome.

goodolboy wrote:

UPDATE THIS MORNING

Good news  boy, thanks for the update...They are not that bad and everyone is happy

colinoscapee wrote:

Not sure how getting a stamp every month is going to stop criminals and illegal workers. It's all about gouging more funds, its as simple as that.

So the immigration guy said “just walk into immigration, pay $10 and get a stamp”
I'm betting they'll turn you away & send you to an “agent” ( probably his wife's business) and then the real game starts.

How long will the agent sit on your passport?. Maybe you'll get a call saying there is a “problem” ,probably about 3 days before your visa expires .   Maybe a little coffee money to fix the problem,,otherwise you've got some urgent packing to do and book flights out of the country.

Nothings ever that simple.

Where can I find a reliable agent in Saigon?

I do believe wrote:

Why do you need one?  Didn't you just get a VEC or TRC for being married to a VN a month ago?

I do believe wrote:

Any agent in the country can help you through the internet, just as easily as an agent in person.

I personally recommend getting an agent in Hanoi, the land of centralized immigration

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I personally recommend getting an agent in Hanoi, the land of centralized immigration

The primary distinction that I see between an agent in Hanoi compared to equally competent individuals elsewhere would be proximity to corrupt officials in the central immigration office.  Do I read your comment correctly?   :/

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
I do believe wrote:

Any agent in the country can help you through the internet, just as easily as an agent in person.

But, If you live in Vung Tau and the agent is in Hanoi, how do you get your passport/pictures to the agent?

cruisemonkey wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
I do believe wrote:

But, If you live in Vung Tau and the agent is in Hanoi, how do you get your passport/pictures to the agent?

Email. They don't require the physical passport

WeGonMakelt.

"I always wanted to stroll through the streets of Los Angeles, to feel the atmosphere of true freedom and democracy."

Good luck with finding that . ..  . anywhere.

SteinNebraska wrote:
I do believe wrote:

Why do you need one?  Didn't you just get a VEC or TRC for being married to a VN a month ago?

I had a five year married visa exemption. A few years ago I renewed my passport. I was told to leave the country and come back because I had been here too long. I was also given a temporary resident visa card. The married exemption visa was no more. It was also for five years.

Recently, a couple days before the borders shut down I had to renew that. It is no longer a card, now it is pasted into your passport. It is good for a maximum of five years. Every six months I have to leave the country. If my sponsor status changes then I'm guessing that the visa is cancelled.

It is really a six month temporary resident card now. But you only have to pay and apply for the thing once every five years. Although you do have to pay to travel and other fees every six months.

I'm not an expert, I'm a user so anyone with more accurate advice about the new Temporary Residence Visa should step in.

My rant:

This has a serious impact on me. With the 5 year I am comfortable purchasing durable goods and renting a house. But if I have to leave every six months with no guarantee of returning then I would need to be able to take everything I own that is important to me on each trip. Including my wife. So why come back? This place is not heaven on earth. Poor health care and sanitation, constant interruptions in electricity, water and internet/TV, flooding, aggressive and disrespectful neighbours. It's just a low cost place to live that's it and that's not rare at all for a westerner.

I am here because I like teaching. I'm not the only one. Ageism, edutainment and recently I have had experiences with VN teachers arguing with me about my pronunciation and other aspects of my language, schools with over protective policies suggesting that westerners are abusive to VN staff and children. Even getting paid in full and on time has been an issue lately. This isn't even a good place to teach any more.

End of rant.

Under normal circumstances my first trip to renew would be my wife and I leaving VN for some place that values the contribution of EFL teachers  and the institution of marriage more than how much money they can wring out of us.

If you're looking for things with a sense of American history or the past, LA probably isn't it.  I was born in NY and lived most of my life in Texas.  You might travel to NY and visit Ellis Island.  It was a major immigration center for a long time.  Amazing place and the National Park people there can give you great insight into it's history via the tours they give.  I also  understand they have reopened the hospital on the island.  After that it's a short train ride to Philly and Independence Hall, then on to DC and Ford's Theater, Viet Nam War Memorial, Lincoln and Washington monuments, and a trip through some of the Smithsonian.  Would make an interesting journey
Good Luck

def1412 wrote:

If you're looking for things with a sense of American history or the past, LA probably isn't it.

The two of you are replying to a spam bot. :unsure

atomheart wrote:
def1412 wrote:

If you're looking for things with a sense of American history or the past, LA probably isn't it.

I like a Spam sandwich, not sure about Bot, is it tasty?

VietCanada

Whilst I certainly sympathise with your rant I have to ask why on earth are you still here if you find the whole experience so objectionable ?
Are you fluent in Vietnamese or any other language other than English ?

VietCanada wrote:

With the 5 year I am comfortable purchasing durable goods and renting a house. But if I have to leave every six months with no guarantee of returning then I would need to be able to take everything I own that is important to me on each trip. Including my wife.

Instead of getting 5 year Visa Exemption Certificate which makes you leave every six months why don't you get 3 year Temporary Resident Card?  3 years vs 5 but you don't have to leave in between dates.  I assume your wife is a Vietnamese citizen and you would qualify as you alluded to getting a marriage visa in the past at the beginning of the post.

VietCanada wrote:

I am here because I like teaching. I'm not the only one. Ageism, edutainment and recently I have had experiences with VN teachers arguing with me about my pronunciation and other aspects of my language, schools with over protective policies suggesting that westerners are abusive to VN staff and children. Even getting paid in full and on time has been an issue lately. This isn't even a good place to teach any more..

A few questions to clarify.  I agree with you on ageism in schools but am curious of why the concern with your pronunciation.  Your bio says you are from Toronto.  By chance, are you a Francophone?  As difficult as it may be for British teachers to accept, the preferred standard English pronunciation in Vietnam seems to be North American.  We had a teacher from Glasgow at the public school where I taught.  He was a fine teacher but his accent was very difficult for me.  The children who were at an upper intermediate level, told me they understood him just fine as he had been their teacher for multiple years.  He was transferred out by our center supposedly because of complaints by one of the local English teachers, so your complaint seems plausible. 

I wonder how westerners could be considered considered physically abusive to children as the local teachers regularly beat them with sticks.  You might want to watch how you speak to the staff though.

atomheart wrote:

I reported this post as inappropriate for the Vietnam forum, but it is still there.  Apparently only some people are recognized by the moderation team.  Have others noticed that an entire thread entitled Trump New Executive Order to temporarily limit legal immigration has been moved by mods to the USA forum where it will be of interest to no one who is already in the US.  Anyway it is sort of a moot issue for most expats as wives and children of citizens are exempt.

The only one, I can remember was related to stuck tourists

I can't wait to see what happens on July 1 .......remember, they were announcing the new vIsa policy.

A lot of noise about the 30 day tourist visa......given 14 days quarantine on arrival , that could be pointless.   While ever quarantine restrictions are around there won't be tourists.

You couldn't pay them to go anywhere.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

A lot of noise about the 30 day tourist visa......given 14 days quarantine on arrival , that could be pointless.   While ever quarantine restrictions are around there won't be tourists.

A lot of countries will do similar, especially those, who managed well during the first corona waves. And others will do as "revenge"
As for international travel, I would believe in return to a "normal" without sufficient vaccines and not for this year.
Vietnam sure will not risk the advantage, the have secured

I think a potential issue is that those whose visas run out and have no wife or employer to sponsor them would have to leave.

As a previous poster said quarantines on both sides of the trip make tourism all but impossible.

A two week jaunt becomes a month and a half ordeal. One month becomes two months.

So what is the sense in renewing a 1 month visa?

People are here to work or retire. There is no retirement visa I am aware of and there is very little work to be had.

How many of those language centres are ruined because their classrooms can't handle  two metre distance regulations or they couldn't handle the past few months. Public schools still haven't adjusted. There aren't enough rooms or teachers for that. How many centres still exist? How many people have money for that right now?

Online doesn't require one to be physically present in VN and in any event how many of them are sponsoring visas?

This a world wide problem. VN can be as successful as anyone else controlling the virus but they still have to control entry into their country.   

The blue pill or red one moment might be coming faster than we think.

Let's all hope for an antiviral or cure. Scientists keep saying that that's maybe a year away but maybe they just want to look good when it comes just in time for Christmas!

I predict when the amendment (51-2019-QH14) to The Law on Entry, Exit, Transit, and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam comes into effect on July 1, those on tourist (DL) visas will not have to do a 'visa run' every 30 days; but, will be able to apply in-country for another 30-day extension of stay through an agent... for about $150.

cruisemonkey wrote:

I predict when the amendment (51-2019-QH14) to The Law on Entry, Exit, Transit, and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam comes into effect on July 1, those on tourist (DL) visas will not have to do a 'visa run' every 30 days; but, will be able to apply in-country for another 30-day extension of stay through an agent... for about $150.

Charging people about 3.5 mil every month when you have them by the short hairs sounds about right.

Thailand & Bali have recently announced Free visa extensions indefinitely until flights return to “ normal”.

You'll find Vietnam will shoot themselves in the foot by profiteering from visa fees during a global pandemic.   If & when travel resumes people will keep that in mind when selecting a destination.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

Thailand & Bali have recently announced Free visa extensions indefinitely until flights return to “ normal”.

"Foreigners whose visas had expired since March 26 will be permitted to stay until July 31 without having to apply for an extension, said Narumon Pinyosinwat, spokeswoman for the Thai government."

Bangkok Post 21 April 2020