Anyone have any further info on this upcoming tourist visa change?

If they do allow in- country extensions it will be costly, as it is now. Nearly double the price without leaving.

Yea, I am sure about that. And I thought thailand ia annoying with their 2+1 month visa policy.

I still hope they will make it bit more reasonable, 1 month is just too short.

Dan911 wrote:

So, if I am one 3months tourist visas, I will need to leave every month and get a new stamp? Or even a sticker?

If they still issue the 90 days DLs, they'd have to be multi entry to enable this 30 day stay procedure to work.
July is a long way off.  Things change overnight here with policy .

This VIRUS thing is just getting a life of its own here now.  Who knows what will happen.  Nha Trang has already been mentioned in Australian newspapers as having confirmed Virus cases.   I've actually had emails from 3 friends asking about it.   

Vietnam's tourism IS China, they're the bulk of it.   If this Virus isn't contained soon , they'll be doing what Thailand has just announced, ie, handing out free gift vouchers to arriving tourists , and waiving Visas for Chinese & Indian tourists.

In 2003 SARS....Hanoi was virtually giving the hotels away.  You could get a flight from Canada for $130.  Fast forward to 2020 and Chinese tourist figures have exploded , so who knows what the future holds this time around.  Media can scare a lot of people away.

You might find they'll relax the 30 days stay.   If this Virus thing gets a toe hold here, and the confirmed cases increase rapidly ,,,I'll be pissing off out of here at any hint of that crap.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

This VIRUS thing is just getting a life of its own here now.  Who knows what will happen.  Nha Trang has already been mentioned in Australian newspapers as having confirmed Virus cases.   I've actually had emails from 3 friends asking about it.   

In 2003 SARS....Hanoi was virtually giving the hotels away.  You could get a flight from Canada for $130.  Fast forward to 2020 and Chinese tourist figures have exploded , so who knows what the future holds this time around.  Media can scare a lot of people away.

You might find they'll relax the 30 days stay.   If this Virus thing gets a toe hold here, and the confirmed cases increase rapidly ,,,I'll be pissing off out of here at any hint of that crap.

The problem as I see it with the Corona Virus is; wherever you go there it is. Airline travel has given this bug a free ride. Cases are showing up in the US and around the globe.

Yeah tourism in Vietnam and in SE Asia in general is going to get hit hard this year. However, the administration is extremely slow to react and act in general, so if there's another change in visa policies regarding tourist visas (back to 90-day stays for instance), it won't be before the situation is disastrous and it's too late for businesses to get back on their feet

You may find that Vietnam have followed Cambodia's E-visa system.

My agent told me Tourism here wants to get rid of the “landing counter” shambles.  It's always been a stumbling block for,people coming here.   She said they want all tourists on E- Visa.

The 30 Day E-visa we have now works well.    So that probably explains the 30 day exits.

The Cambodian system gives you a 90 day tourist “window” to use the visa.  BUT, once you enter it's only 30 days.    They know long term tourists often transit thru  Vietnam, Cambodia ,Thailand etc...

Having a window of 90 days let's them plan on the run, without having definite dates to comply with. 

A few years ago there was talk of something like that being considered within the region to facilitate easier transitions in the region.

Also, the media release here highlighted the need to have Visa status & extensions being done IN country . They actually said it doesn't make sense people wasting time & money travelling out of Vietnam just to get another Visa. 

Thailand & Bali ( leaders in regional tourism) have 30 day free vIsa & then extendable for a fee.    Cambodia also has the current“VOA  30 day extendable visa.   The E.Visa isn't extendable😳

Maybe Vietnam is following  the trend in the region.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/pla … 47385.html

"The city plans to find new sources of tourists to offset the declining number of visitors coming from coronavirus-infected regions."

One can hope

Ontheroad57 wrote:

July is a long way off.  Things change overnight here with policy .

This thread isn't about policy it's about the law -

Luật số: 51/2019/QH14
Immigration law amendment

Well I'm stuck in Blighty waiting for the VN immigration department to get back from lunar new year festivities and issue me a new 3 month tourist visa, but maybe the silver lining will be cheaper airfares by the time it arrives, bless those leaky Chinese Level 4 Bio Weapons Labs conveniently built smack in the middle of major population centres!

If this daftness comes to pass, having to do a border crossing every 30 days will be a PITA, I might have to make an honest woman out of one of the lovely locals and get a spousal TRC. I'm not going to panic yet though.

vndreamer wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:

That's right. But if my wife cooks Vietnamese, it'll be soon boring too. Besides, she can't manage to cook without sugar.
And most of what I cook, she doesn't like.  :lol:

Well, you need to teach her that the food can still be cooked and taste good without sugar and without MSG.  My wife had a hard time at first, but she finally realized that there was no advantage to adding these toxic chemicals to the food.  Of course, it easy for me because she can't buy MSG unless we go to an asian market, which we rarely visit.  For sugar, we buy organic sugar, but she uses it mostly for her coffee.  I can imagine if we were in VN, I would have lost that battle.  Good luck mate.  But remember, sugar is the No1 ingredient to a sure illness and cancer loves sugar.

Since you have already wandered OT, allow me to sprinkle some sweet basic biology into the gaping maw of your superstition: sugar is the only thing that your cells metabolise for energy. It doesn't matter what complex carbs you put in your mouth, you digest it, which means it gets broken down into simple sugar before it can enter your bloodstream and subsequently be used by your mitochondria in the process of respiration. Simple sugar. Nothing else. Similarly, if your body de-aminises proteins or ketogenically processes fat, first it gets turned into simple sugar.

To say that sugar is toxic is like saying that oxygen is poisonous. It's nonsense, stop preaching such rubbish. To be fair though, cancers generally can't metabolise ketones (simple sugars whose molecules are mirror-images of the aldehydes we normally use), which is why ketogenic diets can help to slow tumour growth.

Brick23 wrote:

Since you have already wandered OT, allow me to sprinkle some sweet basic biology into the gaping maw of your superstition: sugar is the only thing that your cells metabolise for energy. It doesn't matter what complex carbs you put in your mouth, you digest it, which means it gets broken down into simple sugar before it can enter your bloodstream and subsequently be used by your mitochondria in the process of respiration. Simple sugar. Nothing else. Similarly, if your body de-aminises proteins or ketogenically processes fat, first it gets turned into simple sugar.

To say that sugar is toxic is like saying that oxygen is poisonous. It's nonsense, stop preaching such rubbish. To be fair though, cancers generally can't metabolise ketones (simple sugars whose molecules are mirror-images of the aldehydes we normally use), which is why ketogenic diets can help to slow tumour growth.

It's about too much sugar and not into no sugar at all.
If the rice soup tastes like dessert, it is simply too much sugar.

It's like salt. Salt is important, too much salt is not good (yes, I know that there are people who are not harmed by too much salt).

That we are discussing this at all is a joke.
Today it should be clear to everyone that people generally consume too much salt and sugar.

Here in Vietnam we should better discuss worse things than too much sugar, salt and MSG.
Namely about food hygiene and food packaging.

I am more worry about the plastic bags and the melamine dishes.
Melamine releases formaldehyde when you put food over 70°C in it.
And plastic bags release softeners and other substances.
Most likely, the plastic bags used for food are not food genuine bags.

I am more worried about that than about too much sugar. Although I drink practically no more coffee or milk tea, fruit drink, etc. outside the house.
I make more than 1 liter of smoothie every day, without adding sugar, and drink coffee with a small teaspoon of sugar. This is by far enough for my daily sugar needs. So I do not need tons of sugar in my food.

But maybe this is not the right thread for discussing about this issue.  :|

Brick23 wrote:
vndreamer wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:

That's right. But if my wife cooks Vietnamese, it'll be soon boring too. Besides, she can't manage to cook without sugar.
And most of what I cook, she doesn't like.  :lol:

Well, you need to teach her that the food can still be cooked and taste good without sugar and without MSG.  My wife had a hard time at first, but she finally realized that there was no advantage to adding these toxic chemicals to the food.  Of course, it easy for me because she can't buy MSG unless we go to an asian market, which we rarely visit.  For sugar, we buy organic sugar, but she uses it mostly for her coffee.  I can imagine if we were in VN, I would have lost that battle.  Good luck mate.  But remember, sugar is the No1 ingredient to a sure illness and cancer loves sugar.

Since you have already wandered OT, allow me to sprinkle some sweet basic biology into the gaping maw of your superstition: sugar is the only thing that your cells metabolise for energy. It doesn't matter what complex carbs you put in your mouth, you digest it, which means it gets broken down into simple sugar before it can enter your bloodstream and subsequently be used by your mitochondria in the process of {CELLULAR} respiration. Simple sugar. Nothing else. Similarly, if your body de-aminises proteins or ketogenically processes fat, first it gets turned into simple sugar.

No, it's NOT nonsense to say that refined sugar can definitely have toxic effects on the human body.

First, it DOES matter which (and how many) complex (or simple) carbohydrates a person consumes, as the overstimulation of insulin production in the pancreas is understood to be a key factor in the rise of Adult Onset Diabetes (AOD; which is now affecting some children prior to the onset of puberty) as well as a major contributing factor in the development of Coronary Artery Disease (CAD), since in the absence of the presence of insulin, the human body cannot convert saturated fat into "bad" LDL cholesterol; that being the primary benefit of the Atkins diet and other low-carbohydrate dietary plans.

Sadly, there was a time when the American Diabetic Association taught that all carbohydrates are created equal, essentially teaching that it didn't matter if you got your daily limit from fruits and vegetables or from a Snickers candy bar.

Now, with the understanding of the Glycemic Index (and the Glycemic Load level of certain foods) many type-2 diabetics (those with AOD) are able to reverse their disease through diet and exercise alone, successfully being weaned off of injectable insulin as well as oral anti-diabetic meds.

And oxygen is definitely capable of "poisoning" the human body, in the "too much of a good thing" scenario:

sciencefocus. com/the-human-body/why-does-breathing-pure-oxygen-kill-you/

But perhaps the most toxic, 'hidden' effect of refined sugar (and MSG and salt) is the ability to overwhelm our sense of satiation.

We simply wouldn't eat such excessive portions of many foods without the addition of sugar, salt and/or MSG.

How much plain rice can you eat before becoming disinterested in an additional bite?

I mean rice without salt or MSG or other flavor enhancers?

How many plain potatoes?

How much ice cream containing no sweeteners of any kind?

French fries without salt?

Many food additives (not just sugar) have the insidious effect of causing us to eat much more than recommended portion sizes.

That's especially "toxic" when the sugar is combined with unhealthy levels of fat (can you say "donuts"?

When I was in Vietnam in 1972, I don't recall ever seeing one pudgy, pimple-faced child.

Maybe they were already here; I just didn't see them.

Now, 48 years later, they are everywhere.

Don't tell me refined sugar and msg can't have toxic effects on the human body.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

When I was in Vietnam in 1972, I don't recall ever seeing one pudgy, pimple-faced child.

Maybe they were already here; I just didn't see them.

Now, 48 years later, they are everywhere.

Don't tell me refined sugar and msg can't have toxic effects on the human body.

Being overweight can be attributed to the Standard American Diet or SAD diet introduced during the time period you mentioned. Look at pictures of school children posing in groups before this period and the majority will be lean - look at a group picture of school kids today and see the opposite - overweight (and even morbidly obese). Carbs, sugars are a factor in this. A body does not need excess sugars from any source - sugar is sugar.

During our ancestors lives they functioned quite well off natural foods - were sugar was a treat - some found berries, or a hive of honey bees.

Getting back on topic:

zeubie wrote:

Here is a link to the new law (but it is in Vietnamese):

https://luatvietnam.vn/xuat-nhap-canh/l … 53-d1.html

My VOA agent from Hanoi is in HCMC today on Tết holiday.

We are meeting for coffee soon at the Cafe de l'Opeŕa.

I'll do my best to ask the unanswered questions in this thread.

I'll be sure to check back here to see if anyone has added any relevant on topic questions about the OP.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Getting back on topic:

zeubie wrote:

Here is a link to the new law (but it is in Vietnamese):

https://luatvietnam.vn/xuat-nhap-canh/l … 53-d1.html

My VOA agent from Hanoi is in HCMC today on Tết holiday.

We are meeting for coffee soon at the Cafe de l'Opeŕa.

I'll do my best to ask the unanswered questions in this thread.

I'll be sure to check back here to see if anyone has added any relevant on topic questions about the OP.

I had a pleasant meeting with my visa agent yesterday at the cafe in the Caravelle Hotel.

She said that "officially", her agency has not been informed of the proposed changes to visa regulations, but she also said that's not unusual.

She said that alerts regarding such changes are usually officially sent to agencies just prior to going into effect.

So, even though she has seen the documentation in the quoted link, it won't affect her business until an official alert is issued by immigration.

As an aside, she gave me an example of how immigration communicates with her agency by sharing the most recent official alert they have received about new visa restrictions related to the Corona Virus:

expat. com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=882361

As to the reasoning behind the new proposed restrictions on tourist visas, based on her regular interactions with immigration officials, she had this to say:

ILLEGAL English teachers are the NUMBER ONE targets of BOTH the proposed new restrictions on length of stay on tourist visas AND the increase in blacklisting.

Believe it or not, the government is greatly concerned about the large number of foreigners from many nations who are 1. NOT qualified as EXPERTS under Vietnam law, and 2. Teachers who, although PERHAPS qualified, are working illegally receiving wages under the table.

She mentioned that many of these illegal teachers are those known as "backpackers" who have heard they can easily supplement their nomadic lifestyles (digital or 'analog' 😉) making some quick cash by teaching English.

The purpose of the 30 day stay limitation is to flush out many of these illegal "teachers" by subjecting them to immigration questioning designed to reveal their true purpose for remaining in Vietnam.

We also talked (again) about Business Visas and blacklisting:

She said that those who are being legitimately blacklisted are virtually always people reported for illegal work activities, meaning mostly under-the-table work for someone other than their visa sponsor.

Also, she mentioned that "bad behavior" is a major cause for legitimate visa blacklisting.

There are so many ways that a person can be flagged for bad behavior, there's no way that all reasons can be listed here.

However, it's worth noting that some people "legitimately" blacklisted were reported by a Vietnamese citizen out of spite based on some personal issue with the foreigner.

Then specifically, we talked about the 1 Year Category DN Business Visa (Multiple Entries) FOR US CITIZENS.

She reaffirmed that only US citizens are currently eligible for these visas, and that US citizens have the "highest priority" in the visa approval process.

She acknowledged that the 90 day business visa does not require a supporting documentation other than an application, a copy of the passport ID page and a passport sized photo.

As for the question about work permits with the 1 Year Category DN Business Visa for US Citizens, she reaffirmed the legality of "exploring business opportunities" without a work permit.

She said that in cases where immigration has reason to question someone such as myself claiming to be doing that, they ultimately make their determination of legality or illegality based on the ability of an individual to show documentation of long-term (greater than 3 years) activity in their stated business field.

In my case, documentation showing my activities as a music publisher, audio recording producer, consultant, performer and songwriter for the past 30 years is almost certainly qualifying, should I ever be questioned at length by immigration.

I say "almost certainly" because we all know there are few ironclad guarantees when it comes to immigration law.

Most important, she reminded me: I'm NOT authorized to earn ANY money from any of those activities here on my current visa.

Yes, her agency provided me with a sponsor through their joint venture operation; totally legal under Vietnam law.

As she reiterated to me, it is the illegal activity of some visa holders which in effect nullifies the legality of their visa.

Finally, we talked about how people used to set up a shell company to qualify for a Resident Certificate or Visa Exemption.

She confirmed that such arrangements are no longer possible AND that people currently here using such bogus qualifications are being actively sought out and "stripped" of their certification (sounds like what happened to "I Do Believe":expat. com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=879403#4778947

She also clarified that, although 3 Billion Vietnam Đồng currency reserves are required for foreigners to qualify as investors for residency purposes, that is a "shared" responsibility.

So, let's say an established company here already has ₫2,900,000,000 VNĐ or more in currency reserves, and the company accepts you as an investor of ₫100,000,000 VNĐ, you would then qualify as an investor for residency purposes.

I'm sure the math wizards here can easily extrapolate other favorable scenarios using the underlying requirements in that example.

As I've said before, I love my business visa through a trustworthy agency in Hanoi...

😎

(OceanBeach92107) - awesome write-up and info, thanks.

I arrived on the 20th January on a 3 month multiple entry visa... no issues at HCM airport..

vndreamer wrote:
Mike Wagner wrote:

Yeah, I'll do something like that too if there's no workaround. South Korea also has 90-day exemptions, Singapore too but that is another budget etc. Besides, discounts should be rather aggressive this year if people decide to stay away from this part of the world.
(Just don't forget to get a pretty serious/heavy travel insurance "just in case".)

If you have the money, Singapore is the place to make a permanent home.  But if Singapore is not in the budget, then Malaysia (they have a retirement visa) is a great alternative and just down the road from Singapore.  We have seriously looked at Malaysia and Singapore, but it will depend on what things are like in about 10 to 15 years.

I spent over a year working in Singapore (company had 4 oil rigs built there) Jesus, could not wait to get out of it, nearly went stir crazy! Too many "would be x pats cocktail party types" living there for me, bit like Dubai. Too small, too insular, give me Q12 HCMC or Da Lat Vietnam any day!

Very informative OceanBeach, thank you!!

You'll probably find that the illegal workers will just revert to the 3mth DNs which “apparently”  don't require any formalities.....as several agents have advised.

They're also renewable IN country.   However, the honest long term tourist getting a DN will most likely void his “Travel” insurance, which a lot of them wouldn't be aware of.   There are a few other Tax legalities for Expats to be aware of if they're here for an extended time. 

That can get very expensive if your caught out , since your legal status here is NOT as a traveller .    There's more to be concerned about than a 30 day border run.

As for the TRC holders getting pinched, & I know a few personally that have , expect more of the same.   I don't need to work,  but I know several expat English teachers that “hop” between different schools for extra hours.   I'm of the belief that a Company sponsored TRC & associated work permit only allows you to work for ONE entity.   

So most of them are on shakey ground.   The schools employing them obviously are doing it under the table & would be deducting Tax from their wages & simply pocketing it.  It's a sport here.

This is what happens in a country where “coffee money” oils the wheels of progress.   Once they try & clean it up they find out just how rotten & filthy the system is. 

So ....be prepared for some interesting developments in those 3mth DNs.   They sound too good to be true.

For those that need a nice change , try Langkawi Malaysia for 3 mths , free visa  & then on to a nice spot on Bali east coast , Candidasa , away from the tourist trap of Kuta.    2 months VOA for $70. 

That's 5 months in two nice places for $70 visa fees & a cheap flight in between.    Rinse & repeat ,,,,maybe with a side trip elsewhere.....which brings me back here.   

Plenty of nice alternatives out there....

Good info Ontheroad, bet there are a few on here crapping themselves on them DN visa's too then! Do they have to pay Vietnamese tax on their world wide wealth & income or only money earned in Vietnam?

unionjack wrote:

Good info Ontheroad, bet there are a few on here crapping themselves on them DN visa's too then! Do they have to pay Vietnamese tax on their world wide wealth & income or only money earned in Vietnam?

Google PIT in Vietnam......Price Waterhouse coopers have a good reference.

That mainly depends on your countries Tax treaty with the country your in & your own countries Tax laws regarding resident & non resident tax.   Mainly affects people earning non exempt income. 

In Vietnam Govt  Pensions, superannuation, Bank interest are NOT taxed so most retirees here wouldn't need to worry.   But self funded retirees having income from investments would need to look at their affairs.

Some Aussie home owners are in for a shock if they haven't kept up to date with capital gains tax on the family home.

Something as simple as a Visa stamp in a passport can change things for you regarding Tax & Insurance .

Another issue regarding tourist visas within Asia at the moment.

Travel insurance companies may have restrictions on what is claimable.   I've looked at some websites,,and they have warnings up already advising people to exercise caution 😆😆😆

That's probably a red flag for a claim denial down the road.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

Another issue regarding tourist visas within Asia at the moment.

Travel insurance companies may have restrictions on what is claimable.   I've looked at some websites,,and they have warnings up already advising people to exercise caution 😆😆😆

That's probably a red flag for a claim denial down the road.

Some travel insurance wont cover if you are driving a motorbike and in an accident. Even if you are say on a MB taxi & I bet Grab 3rd party insurance is limited of not no existent & the private guys .....forget it!!.

In another thread,  an Expat friend of mine was just turned away from a dentist in Nha Trang. They're scared of virus carrying foreigners.

How do you think you'll go if your lying on the side of the road dripping with blood. 😆😆😆😆

unionjack wrote:

I spent over a year working in Singapore (company had 4 oil rigs built there) Jesus, could not wait to get out of it, nearly went stir crazy! Too many "would be x pats cocktail party types" living there for me, bit like Dubai. Too small, too insular, give me Q12 HCMC or Da Lat Vietnam any day!

I agree, we are all different and have different likes, interest etc.  It always comes down to personal preference.  For example, if I had to live in VN, my preferences are DaNang and DaLat.  I would never live in Saigon or Hanoi.  However, I have the ability to live in other countries and for us, Singapore is a great place, but not for everyone.

Great post and really informative...I will have to get a new Visa come July and perhaps I might not have to worry too much.
Ken

A recent video regarding this change with the DL (tourist) visas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKZRQAHXgU

zeubie wrote:

Now wait for those rules to be changed again.

colinoscapee wrote:
zeubie wrote:

Ah yes......they will CONSIDER an extension.   You can bet their level of consideration will be directly determined by how much you pay for the extension.     Gee....didn't see that coming.

I can't see anyone bothering with the paperwork every month .

The obvious choice for longer stays would be the DN business visas,,,but I can see those being scrutinised for being abused & gamed .  They'll want to see quality  business investment & capital injection for the long term.    I really can't see old blokes in their 70s on the old age pension convincing anyone of their genuine intentions , unless there's some serious $$ on the table.

Thailand is full of broke expat “bar “ owners .  Look what's happening to them.

If they're  putting that much scrutiny on a tourist visa extension....how do you think they'll view business visa applications.    The answer is easy..just marry someone, support their extended family & bankroll their business ventures.

Simple.  The only choice left.     They simply herd the schmucks into a corner & let the women do the rest.   That's been the best cash grab for years all over SE Asia.

Gotta love em.😆😆

Ontheroad57 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
zeubie wrote:

Ah yes......they will CONSIDER an extension.   You can bet their level of consideration will be directly determined by how much you pay for the extension.     Gee....didn't see that coming.

I can't see anyone bothering with the paperwork every month .

The obvious choice for longer stays would be the DN business visas,,,but I can see those being scrutinised for being abused & gamed .  They'll want to see quality  business investment & capital injection for the long term.    I really can't see old blokes in their 70s on the old age pension convincing anyone of their genuine intentions , unless there's some serious $$ on the table.

Thailand is full of broke expat “bar “ owners .  Look what's happening to them.

If they're  putting that much scrutiny on a tourist visa extension....how do you think they'll view business visa applications.   

Gotta love em.😆😆

Jesus, I saw a scruffy old French guy outside the kings palace in Phnom Penh selling like pancakes off a converted wheel barrow, he looked decidedly down on his luck!! took pity on the old sod so bought one, right bolchy SOB he was, thought OFFS hope I never get that low, bit like some of the ones I have seen down walking street HCMC the limited amount of times I have actually ventured down there!!! :o
Think Bali for me, always fancied it since I saw Bob Hope, Bing Crosby movie as a kid.

Pancakes.....well there's an idea.

Bali is Ok,   Just stay out of Kuta.   Plenty of choices with  Visa as well.   
30 days free
60 days $70.   Then fly Singapore return in one day $120 & repeat

Or
Retirement Visa @ $800 a year  renewable up to 5 years , then you can apply for permanent residence permit.

If these guys want what's rumoured to be $80 to $100 a month visa renewals,   Plus still have a border run every 3 mths, they're kidding.

And for what....

The Indians are the next mass market target here.  Won't that be nice.
Russian bottom feeders & the kings of cheap ...the Indians & throw in the zero dong Chinese (if they heal from their wounds) and you've got a   real tidy , cosy little expat community. 😆

Better off in Bali with 20,000 resident Aussies punching the f@ck out of each other in bar fights.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

Russian bottom feeders & the kings of cheap ...the Indians & throw in the zero dong Chinese (if they heal from their wounds) and you've got a   real tidy , cosy little expat community. 😆

The Vietnamese love Bollywood movies & soaps, there,s at least 3 TV channels on it. The old dears keep fit club like to do a bit of belly dancing in the park next to my apartment.......very nice!!

Ontheroad57 wrote:

Bali is Ok,   Just stay out of Kuta.   Plenty of choices with  Visa as well.   
30 days free
60 days $70.   Then fly Singapore return in one day $120 & repeat

Or
Retirement Visa @ $800 a year  renewable up to 5 years , then you can apply for permanent residence permit.

If these guys want what's rumoured to be $80 to $100 a month visa renewals,   Plus still have a border run every 3 mths, they're kidding.

And for what....

Better off in Bali with 20,000 resident Aussies punching the f@ck out of each other in bar fights.

When you have people running the country due to family connections and not due to knowledge......this is what happens.

Vietnam will end up a basket case in years to come if they dont start looking at things long-term instead of personal profits.

colinoscapee wrote:

if they dont start looking at things long-term instead of personal profits.

Unfortunately you already know the answer to that question.

SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

if they dont start looking at things long-term instead of personal profits.

Unfortunately you already know the answer to that question.

True, but we can still live in hope.

We will be returning to my home country next year as my VN wife has no desire to stay here any longer.

My wife still doesn't "want" to leave but is willing to do so for her daughter's sake.  I'm sure she will come around once she is in the US.  I know that she will miss family a lot.

SteinNebraska wrote:

My wife still doesn't "want" to leave but is willing to do so for her daughter's sake.  I'm sure she will come around once she is in the US.  I know that she will miss family a lot.

My wife doesnt like the social behaviour in VN. She also hates the gossipers here who are constantly making up stories. We have allowed ourselves a couple of years in Australia to see how things work out. Im sure she will miss her mum who she is very close to.

colinoscapee wrote:

My wife doesnt like the social behaviour in VN. She also hates the gossipers here who are constantly making up stories. We have allowed ourselves a couple of years in Australia to see how things work out. Im sure she will miss her mum who she is very close to.

At least she is reasonably close to come back to visit.

I'll still probably come back three times a year for work and I can see my wife and her daughter coming back for a chunk of the summer break each year to see family.

colinoscapee wrote:

My wife doesnt like the social behaviour in VN. She also hates the gossipers here who are constantly making up stories.

Yup, thats the Vietnam I know too!! the ladies do like to gossip, in my apartment block, it reminds me of my younger days growing up in a tenement block in Edinburgh, they got nothing better to do!

SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

At least she is reasonably close to come back to visit.

I'll still probably come back three times a year for work and I can see my wife and her daughter coming back for a chunk of the summer break each year to see family.

True, whereas your flights are much longer.

An ideal situation would be spending 6-months here and 6-months in Australia. That would require my wife gaining employment online.

SteinNebraska wrote:

No matter the experience,  I believe living in another country to see other perspectives and how people live their daily lives is an invaluable experience.  Don't be surprised if she tells you that she only wants to visit Vietnam, but has no interest in moving back anytime soon.  The opening of the eyes is amazing to watch, you don't have to do anything but sit back and watch the changes.  But it is going to depend a lot on where you live, city vs suburb vs countryside.