I have a daughter that will need to attend school in Vietnam

Hi, I have a daughter that will need to attend school in Vietnam when we move there.  I researched and found that the average annual cost for International school is over $20k.  As a retiree which fixed income, that is a big chunk of money.  I would like to put my daughter in Vietnam public school.  Can anyone advise if this is possible.  I would love for my daughter to go to an English school but the cost is too high.

ttbui67 :

Hi, I have a daughter that will need to attend school in Vietnam when we move there.  I researched and found that the average annual cost for International school is over $20k.  As a retiree which fixed income, that is a big chunk of money.  I would like to put my daughter in Vietnam public school.  Can anyone advise if this is possible.  I would love for my daughter to go to an English school but the cost is too high.

Thanks to ADMIN for moving your post from the new members thread.

It's going to be very difficult if not impossible.

If your daughter doesn't speak Vietnamese, it's definitely impossible.

Tell us more about your family situation as regards employment.

Are you being employed here or do you have a significant other who will be employed?

Some employers will agree to provide in part or whole for the education of dependents.

In order for anyone to give you a truly well-informed opinion, I recommend that you give us a more complete outline of your plans for living and working here.

Good luck!

ttbui67 :

As a retiree which fixed income, that is a big chunk of money. I would like to put my daughter in Vietnam public school. Can anyone advise if this is possible.

Based on your user name and profile, I'm thinking you're a Vietnamese-American and your daughter was born in the States.

The answer used to be no, but Circular 50/2012/TT-BGDĐT to amend and supplement Article 40 and Supplement Article 40a of Circular No. 41/2010 / TT-BGDĐT December 30, 2010 has changed it to yes with proviso for maybe and no.

Yes:  She can attend a public elementary school if she's between 6 and 14 years of age.

Maybe:  Only if the school in the district where you live has the space and is willing to accept a newcomer.

No:  They don't need to give you a reason for rejection.  It's their discretion. 

Yes:  She'll be given a placement test for all subjects (test is in Vietnamese) and will need to achieve a sufficient score before admission.

Maybe:  Even though elementary school is technically tuition free, every family has to pay into the child's upkeep. 

School hours are very long, so if your child is a full board student, she'll need to rest twice a day and eat breakfast in school (most students buy lunch from vendors outside of the school's gate.)  Pillows and mats have to be paid for the sleep, A/C has to be paid for the comfort, and food has to be paid -- that includes the cost of bowls, chopsticks, and spoons. 

If she's a halfboard student, you'll need to pick her up at noon and deliver her back to school in the afternoon but A/C will still have to be paid for. 

As you're not part of the district's constituents, your part of the expense may or may not be the same as other parents'.  (The Circular doesn't specify this, but every parent knows the cost of sending a child to public school: approximately 1M/m in Saigon.)

You may also need to pay the teacher to not hit your child and not ignore her in the class. These two things are known to happen here.

colinoscapee :

You may also need to pay the teacher to not hit your child and not ignore her in the class. These two things are known to happen here.

WOW

colinoscapee :

DOUBLE WOW!!

unionjack :
colinoscapee :

DOUBLE WOW!!

Can I get a triple WOW, lol.

colinoscapee :
unionjack :
colinoscapee :

DOUBLE WOW!!

Can I get a triple WOW, lol.

I will jump over that and go straight to the "triple dog wow".   :)