Potential move to Java

Hello all.
My husband is considering moving to Java for a new job opportunity and will be working not far from Besuki on the Eastern Coast.
We have a secondary school aged child therefore I think it is likely that he will come alone but any information anyone can offer on where the best places/areas are to live that are a reasonable distance from work would be helpful and perhaps also some information on living out there as a family?
We are just starting on this journey so very green. All help gratefully received
Thank you

Javanese people, in general, are very friendly and welcoming, that making Java a very nice place to live, but finding a school is going to be hard work in that area. The nearest English language place with a UK curriculum likely to be in Surabaya.
Surabaya is a nice city with lots do do and easy shopping, but isn't all that close to Besuki as the toll road only goes part way and local roads tend to be slow and difficult.

Thank you Fred. It's more than likely that hubby will come alone, so that said where would be good areas for him to be based near work? Good and bad (if any) thank you

Travel is the big thing so close to his place of work is best. Roads here are 'fun' so it's better to minimise travel when possible. What sort of work will he be doing?

if u want good salary u should try jakarta and surabaya.. but if u want a good location for expat to travel and enjoy culture then Yogyakarta :) ( the food and other is quite cheap here)..

He would possibly be working in the power industry so along the coast near Besuki. We have now been told that of we came as a family, we would be based in Surabaya so any info on that would be helpful.
Thanks

Surabaya is a large city with pretty much everything you need. safe, security patrolled, gated housing is available and international schoold with an English curriculum shouldn't be that hard to find.
Cambridge have partner schools all over Indonesia so, apart from a couple of local subjects, the lessons are pretty much the same, as are the exams.
The schools don't come cheap, but petrochemical salaries tend to be large so that's less likely to be a concern.
More later.

Start with this

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=800106

Apart from raw info, it should give you an idea of the country. The photo thread, if Flickr haven't deleted the pictures yet, will set you see much of the poor side of Indonesia, but I don't snap the top end malls and so on so don't take away the impression the country is a rubbish dump - it is not.

Being in the oil and gas industry myself, I would advise your husband (if coming on his own for now) to contact the HR manager in Indonesia and or his own company HR manager direct for authorised accommodation regardless of how safe areas are.
He could get an excellent rate on high standard hotels/ golf resort type places that would be suitable for families. Laundry, security, electric, WiFi, tv, swimming's pool, gym, etc is one less thing to worry about, and many offer breakfast and or evening meals for long term, if popular, car pool is common for schools and place of work, quite common actually.
Schools, do some serious homework some offer the world only to be more interested in ripping you off and putting your kids behind, this is a small percentage but it happens especially if only in the country for a couple of years knowing you'll leave, that said they are some good ones also, generally in my location many are leaving the “international schools” and are paying more for Australian schools with Australian teachers and with my own experience these are outstanding and miles ahead of anything else available
Transport is cheap and good drivers and reliable can be hired but insist they have insurance etc, if your husband obtains a local license, long term lease vehicles are cheap not sure about Surabaya though (HR will get best rates and newest and maintained vehicles)
If you and the children join him he'll get a reduced tax rate/ deal, but regardless of what insurance you have privately or by the company he will still have to pay a BPJS insurance
Typically for my industry this is about US$500 a month (equivalent) but he can claim about 80% of this back annually, depending on circumstances and employment status in home country he can/ could claim more than his contribution so win win plus 80% 👍