Correspondence with Dominican women

Hi all,

Before fully committing to relocation to the DR I wanted to see if I could meet at least one woman online with whom there may be a connection.  I recognize that there's no substitute for meeting in person, but I'd like to have a small comfort level that I'll be able to meet someone compatible.  The problem is that I haven't been able to keep a single conversation going beyond a week or two.  By "conversation" I'm mean true two way communication where both parties are interested in learning about each other.  What I get is direct answers to questions I pose with no elaboration and no questions asked in return.  I don't think it's a language barrier issue as they seem to understand my messages.  I realize that some of these women have motives different than mine, but statistically some of them should be seriously interested in meeting someone, based on the shear number of responses I've received.  Given that this is not my first time corresponding with people abroad, I also like to think I'm capable of filtering out some (not all) of the dishonest people up front.  Your thoughts/assistance are welcome and appreciated!

Yes over a year old but these people in general, even if college educated, aren't the brightest.  Engaging conversation with them is a virtual impossibility in my experience. They have zero worldview except coming to America is their dream.

Looking For Her wrote:

Yes over a year old but these people in general, even if college educated, aren't the brightest.  Engaging conversation with them is a virtual impossibility in my experience. They have zero worldview except coming to America is their dream.

Wow! Generalize much?

I know some brilliant Dominicans, and even those without education are resourceful and full of ingenuity. They might not know how to do the calculation, or the names of the principles involved, but they certainly understand physics and logistics!

dmcghee, we've all met 'some', the outliers.  And he is unlikely to meet any on computer hook up sites.

My experience does not constitute a generalization.  So there is that.  My experience is what it is.

From another post made by a Dominican male here used a few numbers so assuming he's accurate, 70% of Dominicans are what's referred to as tigueres (his words).  I would expect degree being part of his assessment, that is, some are bigger tigueres than others.

That leaves 30% who possess values consistent with honorable human behavior to include general concern for humanity.

Possibly this man's words resonate with me because the girl I was involved with used the expression tiger telling me "you need to be a tiger".

All that aside, there's a reason the country is in general poor condition and the explanation for is most definitely related to the culture and it's associated values.