Plans for Tet 2020

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Today (January 24th) the ticket agent said, "Because today is a holiday the price for you with senior discount is ₫240,000 VNĐ".

Today is a holiday, OB.  It's the equivalence of New Year's Eve.  The government gives its workers 7 days off this year starting yesterday.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

If so, I'm guessing this Saturday, January 25 corresponds to January 1st on the Gregorian Calendar.

:top:
Only the opposite way around.

I definitely twisted that around the wrong way 😁

Have you two kissed and made up?

I have this image of you two holding hands and running through wheat fields. :par:

SteinNebraska wrote:
gobot wrote:

Tết is the best time of the year to go out and about in Saigon.
My motorbike has only seen about half the districts here, so my New-Year's-week resolution is to go on day trips to the other sides of this sprawling mass while the roads are only half-full of maniacs.

Good plan.  I'm lucky that my work takes me every day to a new part of the city.  From Long An to Binh Duong to Bien Hoa, I'm in a different part every day but most of the suppliers are in the "low cost rent districts".  I'm luckier yet because I don't have to drive!  Dinners with suppliers at least once or twice a week takes me to D1, 5 and 7 a lot and I live in D2 so have been all over it.  I'd like to spend more time in D9 because it's still more "country" like where I grew up.  I have one friend that grew up in the party and worked in government and now invests in real estate that has a huge sprawling estate in southern D9.  Maybe 20,000-30,000 square meters that is now sculpted into gardens and lakes.  It's beautiful. It's interesting to see how the other half lives.  We have been there several times for parties and he is the perfect host, always welcoming and generous.

don't mean to bother, this is quite interesting, it mentioned Long An:
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 46310.html

Ciambella wrote:

The seemingly accepted terms to call the old regime in VN is "Chính quyền Sài Gòn".  I've seen it often on government sanctioned media.

That seems to Google translate as just "Saigon government" which seems acceptably neutral.  I may start using that phrase if needed.  Thanks.   :top:

gobot wrote:

My wife's hometown is ... Saigon Q8.
She's no immigrant, so no bus ride to the province.

Tết is the best time of the year to go out and about in Saigon.
My motorbike has only seen about half the districts here, so my New-Year's-week resolution is to go on day trips to the other sides of this sprawling mass while the roads are only half-full of maniacs.

So Friday night through this morning the traffic was ultra light wherever I walked in District 1.

Tonight--Monday, January 27th--it seemed to come back with a vengeance at about 6 PM.

Also, every open restaurant I checked out was packed.

Lots of places still closed today, though no lack of massage spas and coffee shops.

It's been nice to breathe cleaner air and have a few days of little traffic.