Applying for an Ausbildung in Berlin

Hello everyone.

I moved to Berlin from the United States August 2019 and I have been taking an intensive language course since October. I am currently taking the B1 language classes and I plan to continue with the language course until I am B2 or above. I am looking into applying for an Ausbildung as Fachinformatiker für Anwendungsentwicklung and/or Game Design starting August 2020 since my Residence Permit expires October 2020. I currently have my High School Diploma from America and I have a few questions about the application process for the Ausbildung.

Do I need to have my high school transcript translated and recognized? (I believe is equivalent to Abitur) I cannot find any information on this subject, I only find information on recognizing University documents which I do not have.

How long is the total process from getting documents together to getting accepted to a school or company? What Residency Permit do I need to apply for?

I am open to advice and tips as I have never done this before and I am not sure where to start.

thank you and have a nice day!

calli.bri wrote:

Hello everyone.

I moved to Berlin from the United States August 2019 and I have been taking an intensive language course since October. I am currently taking the B1 language classes and I plan to continue with the language course until I am B2 or above. I am looking into applying for an Ausbildung as Fachinformatiker für Anwendungsentwicklung and/or Game Design starting August 2020 since my Residence Permit expires October 2020. I currently have my High School Diploma from America and I have a few questions about the application process for the Ausbildung.

Do I need to have my high school transcript translated and recognized? (I believe is equivalent to Abitur) I cannot find any information on this subject, I only find information on recognizing University documents which I do not have.

How long is the total process from getting documents together to getting accepted to a school or company? What Residency Permit do I need to apply for?

I am open to advice and tips as I have never done this before and I am not sure where to start.

thank you and have a nice day!

Hi Calli.bri,

No, you don't have to get them translated but, yes, you need to have them recognized. Based on your transcript of records, they will provide you a grade which equals to the german grading system. They will provide a certificate which will indicate to which further education you qualify.

When I had mine recognized, it was some time June and it took me roughly about 3 weeks from the time I submitted my documents until I got the certificate. Usually, If you want to apply for an apprenticeship training program, you need to apply 6 months prior (at the least). I can't tell you however, which type of visa you'll be needing.

Nevertheless,I found the website Anerkennung in Deutschland and Anabin where you get more information from.

Good luck!

Kind regards,
B

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I was wondering when you went through the process, did you need your actual school diploma? I do not have my actual diploma, i only have my high school transcripts that my school emailed to me. Would that work? Or do i need them to send me certified copies of my high school transcript?

calli.bri wrote:

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I was wondering when you went through the process, did you need your actual school diploma? I do not have my actual diploma, i only have my high school transcripts that my school emailed to me. Would that work? Or do i need them to send me certified copies of my high school transcript?

Hi Calli.bri,

That was roughly 5 years ago.

Not sure if it‘ll work because, they did ask for my school diploma.  I don‘t remember having it notarized or authenticated.

I thing I can say that's for sure is, whatever is stated on the list as requirements, then they should definitely be included and submitted. If unsure, you can always call them. They appreciate it, rather than getting papers out of assumptions.

Have you checked the website? Once you have and have further questions, let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Kind regards,
B