Carpooling in Belgium

Hello everyone,

In order to move around in Belgium, you will have to spend time on the road; for your work commute, to drop your children off at school or for everyday trips. Carpooling could be the right option for you. We would like to know your views on carpooling as a means of transport, and whether it is a practical and cost-effective option.

Is carpooling and cost-sharing common practice in Belgium? What about the regulations in force?

For which types of journey does carpooling seem more suitable in Belgium? How much is the cost of a carpool trip?

Is there an app or other means available to connect people looking to carpool? How do you find other carpoolers?

If you are carpooling in Belgium, what precautions should you take to travel safely?

According to you, what are the advantages and disadvantages of carpooling?

Thank you for sharing your experience,
Diksha

Why would I need a car for transporting my kids? Need is the wrong word.
No car family with 4 kids.
Cambio is the major car sharing scheme in Belgium.

I live in my business (a Bed and Breakfast) so have no commute, also no kids and move around generally by bike / foot.
Generally think car-pooling a good idea, though the best (green option) would surely be to have a public transport system that worked for (almost!) everyone