Earthquakes

The very recent 6.4 quake and large before and after shocks in the South west of Puerto Rico is a reminder to all of us, that the Caribbean is prone to earthquakes from time to time and it is a risk we take living in this part of the world. No different to people who choose to live in California too as another example.

I am monitoring daily the UASD Sismologico website to see where the activity is in DR and close by and it did come to my attention a month or so back that there were multiple quakes to the north of Puerto Rico on the same latitude as the recent quakes and that included a six plus event. There was also a cluster of small quakes in the Mona Channel several months back too.  I also recall a few smaller clusters near Cabrera and Puerto Plata. To me this had suggested a build up in stress between the North American and Caribbean plates and perhaps these events have been relieving some of those stresses. 

In recent weeks though, DR has been quite quiet albeit there was a reported 4.3 near La Romana yesterday.

Let's hope it stays that way. It makes me alert when I see the damage that a 6.4 can do in PR, but it was shallow and the indications were of some up thrust too. Added to that there is a lot of composite construction used in PR where some external walls use metal framing and stucco within the structural frame rather than clock and concrete used here. But adherence to building codes should be good one thinks.

My bed was shaking in Casa de Campo this morning at 4:30 a.m.  Other associates have stated the same....

so you guys had an earthquake ?
is it gone now does airport at Las terrenas affected or the aviation is affected ?

No it was in Puerto Rico but it appears that some people felt the temor in the East of DR.

It would appear that this event was due to seismic activity in local fault lines in the South West of PR put under stress from the moving North American and Caribbean tectonic plates and in an area historically more quiet in PR. There is no linkage to fault lines in DR:

http://redsismica.uprm.edu/english/Info … s_zone.php

Interestingly, the much earlier activity swarms I mentioned above to the North of PR and in the Mona Channel do have linkage to the major slip slide fault running along the north part of DR and through Samana Bay. But those events have passed.

The whole Carribean is moving DAILY ! Lok at this :https://www.meteosolana.net/terremotos-recientes/mapa-terremotos-recientes-republica-dominicana/

Here you can see all Earthquakes reported

It is a Fact that Earthquakes on the Island Hispañola are Earthquakes normal and Very frequent . The Luck is that they mostly very soft moves so it has no big Consequences. Houses in the DR like the Wooden houses   are nearly perfect for this because they are flexible . What most Dominicans do is construct a house this Way that all around are Steel bars and all together connected . What they call the Zapata is the most important Thing in stability if connected the correct way to the entire Building . I remember when has been the Quake in Haiti I did sit in my Office and my computer table began to move very fast it was a very confusing shaking . The House simply did made the move with the Waves and none Damage caused . Some think that Dominicans do not know to build a House and  I would say ; they do it different but it works for this Place . Not having any glass Windows is also not because they do not know it is because it is more secure and more resistant . I do not fear because of an Earthquake here in the DR .In some parts of the World I would.

I felt this morning's shake in San Cristobal.  As a matter of fact, it woke me up.

I felt absolutely nothing in Santo Domingo.

Yes we are prone to shakes. Yes, someday we will get a bigger one.    It is likely to happen but we have NO idea when.

We should prepare for the possibility as we would in any place that was prone!   It isn't necessary to panic or have a heightened sense of impending doom.  Just keep it in the back of your mind!

A large earthquake (7.7) and now an after tremor (6.1) has hit at shallow depth north west of Jamaica on the fault line between the Caribbean and North American plates. It was felt far away in places like Kingston, Havana and Miami, but I did not feel in Santo Domingo. A tsunami warning was issued regionally including DR south coast but has been lifted....being a lateral slip a tsunami was unlikely.

The fault line between the two tectonic plates is the same one that runs along off the north shore of DR and over the paste few days there have been a cluster of smaller earthquakes just north of Puerto Plata which was beginning to draw notice. Perhaps the stress between the two tectonic plates has now been relieved and we can relax in DR.

After shocks (small) are still occurring to the south west of Puerto Rico and we now have a cluster of small quakes north of the Mona Channel.

Very interesting information!

Thanks for the great explanation.

Yes. My daughter lives and works in Brickell, Miami and her office was evacuated as a precaution. She said there was a advisory to avoid driving over bridges due to after shocks.

There is a quite a bit of activity north of the Mona Straits right now which would likely be connected to the major fault line that runs through the north of DR and out into the Atlantic ocean from Samana peninsula - the septentrional fault. This has always been considered the most dangerous fault line in DR and accounted for the 1946 major earthquake at the tip of the Samana peninsula plus major destruction of the Santiago area in 1776, 1783, 1842 and 1897 with some major earthquakes. One of the factors that puts the Cibao at more risk of serious damage is the subsoil which is sedimentary and introduces issues of liquidification.

If you live in DR, earthquakes are a risk one takes just like the folks who have chosen parts of California.

British Columbia too! I spend my summers there.....

Yup you assess the risks everywhere!

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes … %3Anull%7D

The current earthquake map on USGS is interesting and shows the tectonic plate line linkage to DR. It updates automatically so those reading this post in later or a day or so will not see the same image.

Any info about this am got back to Canada on Friday any risk ?am in Las Terrenas
Thks

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/202 … lic-enemy/

August 26, 2019 | 7:20 am

Dominican Republic could face a hurricane by Thursday
Shares

Miami.- The National Hurricane Center on Sun. said the fourth tropical storm of this year's Atlantic hurricane season will strengthen as it progresses through the Lesser Antilles.

It said Tropical Storm Dorian could reach hurricane force by Tuesday, as it moves through the eastern Caribbean.

The storm's center was around 692 kilometers (430 miles) east-southeast of Barbados on Sunday.

The storm's path places it in the Dominican Republic as a category 1 hurricane by late Thursday.

Ummm that's from August!

planner wrote:

Ummm that's from August!

Hey, you never know, it could still be out there somewhere like a kitten about to pounce!

:lol::lol::lol:

OMG LOL :(:)

Am still living in 2019 hahahah sorry

There has been a lot of seismic activity in the  Mona Channel between DR and PR and there was a 4.6 quake last night which was apparently felt in Bavaro. The location suggests it is associated with the septentrional fault as it extends out into the ocean.

Lots of activity going on these days.  My take: smaller frequent shakes dispense the energy so it doesn't build up.....  No idea if this is true but it makes me feel better!

Yup, felt the house shake in Bavaro.

Dominican Today posted this article today following an article in Diario Libre:

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2020/02/14/powerful-tremor-highly-probable-expert-warns/

Powerful tremor highly probable, expert warns

Santo Domingo.- Santo Domingo State University (UASD) Seismology Institute director Ramón Delanoy, on Fri. warned that the region is very seismic due to accumulated energy in the area's tectonic plates which poses a high probability of up to a magnitude 7 tremor.

Delanoy told Diario Libre that the Caribbean and North America tectonic plates accumulate energy according to their natural movement: the Caribbean plate moves towards the northeast of America. “The movement is similar to when you push someone and this person resists until there comes a time when he responds.”

He also recommended that the population be prepared for the probability of an earthquake, noting that the possible earthquake can occur outside the national territory. “The tremor does not necessarily occur in the country, but in the surroundings.”

Predicting earthquakes is still not a science and so one may wonder why post this in national media.

For sure the probability of a major quake increases with the absence of one on national territory for some considerable time based on historic records. But again in recent times we have had significant seismic activity with the Haiti quake in 2010 and then in the past few months quakes regionally  near Jamaica and in Puerto Rico.

I guess if you live in DR you accept the risk and hope the tremor is distant from you. It would surely be bad if such a big quake hits near where you live, but say more than 50 miles away a lesser effect.

The map in the article gives one an idea of where the past major quakes have hit but the reality is that they can hit anywhere where there are faults in the ground. It would appear if you live along or near the Septentrional Fault(along northern part of DR north of Santiago, SFM to Samana) or near the Enriquillo Fault( southern Haiti, Lago Enrequillo to Azua) historically you are at most risk.

For expats, I guess we should assess the risk and have contingency plans and if your property was built/designed before 2012 (code change after Haiti quake), get an independent structural assessment. But then another reality needs to set in especially in the city suburbs, towns and campo - construction quality control is often of a lower standard than even the design allows through safety factors - if there was a structural design and code approval (absent from much domestic dwelling construction in DR).

I'm anxious for sure. Especially now having been building a property to the south side of the Septentrional Fault in Monte Plata province. But at least I know what was built and the potential weaknesses and that the structural requirements for seismic design were followed. But I sure don't want a 7 plus quake within 50 miles when living there in the future.

I have so many thoughts around this article.

The article with govt  actually taking it serious has no value.

Something similar ran in Spanish in other newspapers and will cause many people to worry obsessively - mostly those who can't do anything about it.

Should a big one hit it will be catastrophic for those in the immediate area.  For those.reading here we can prepare for any such emergency as best we can! 

Frankly we have a much higher risk of hurricane, drought,  flooding rains etc.  We all should assess potential dangers and be aware.

This weekend it appears the possible catastrophe is the inability to buy alcohol this weekend due to the municipal elections! I am shaking my damn head!

good day
so this one i believe is January 2020  :|

I have my cousin going to Punta cana tomorrow

quakewatch.net
Claims to have a >80% accuracy on quakes over 6.0 on the Richter.

You can watch their video.  It teaches you how to "line up" things like minor quake activity, and electrical charge differences in the earth.
Also, they mark their next predition, when and if they make one.

For information on solar events and possible changes magnetic field around the earth (can be serious), visit:   suspicious0bservers.org   (observers witten with a zero).

Truely, as Planner says, your greatest risks are hurricanes, flooding.  And of course, during elections, a critical shortage of alcohol.   :)

I believe in being prepared but am not fanatical about it.

That includes bringing in provisions before an election.

Good day
Any earthquake happened lately ?

Nothing of note!

No earthquake but do be prepared for the alcohol shutdown coming with the elections in March 15th.
I do find the dark humor that the election is going to take place on the Ides of March.
“Et Tu Brutus”

Hahahahaha.  Now that made me.laugh!

There is a lot of seismic activity being reported by the UASD national seismic centre over the past day and continuing in the area within/near and north of Puerto Plata province with a dozen or small tremors up to 3.5.

Seven more small tremors reported today by UASD in the area just north of Puerto Plata province.

I thought the north side is less to get seismic activity?

I think these small ones let off the buildup.  At least I hope that's the case!

We had a reasonably string 'jerk' this morning from an earthquake located at Maimon, Monsenor Nouel Province and 40km away. It was reported as 4.8 by UASD and 4.4 by USGS. Probably related to the Bonao fault.

A reminder that earthquakes pose a great risk to property in this country.

freeperson wrote:

I thought the north side is less to get seismic activity?

Just offshore from the north coast is HUGE fault line..... and another to the south

https://www.usgs.gov/centers/whcmsc/sci … er_objects

Lots of earthquake chances..... all over the island